CBB Coaching Carousel (Updated List 4/24)

Updates from over the weekend:

* Cincinnati has hired Northern Kentucky's John Brannen as its next head coach.

Brannen replaces Mick Cronin, who left the Bearcats last week for the vacancy at UCLA. Cronin was Cincinnati's head coach for 13 seasons, leading the Bearcats to the NCAA tournament in each of his past nine seasons in charge.

* Wofford College announced on Sunday, April 14, the hiring of Jay McAuley as head men’s basketball coach. McAuley has spent the past two years as the associate head coach of the Terriers.

* Two-time NBA champion, former Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach, and former Stanford University basketball star Mark Madsen will officially be named the men’s basketball head coach at Utah Valley University on Monday.

* It’s looking more and more like Valdosta State head coach Mike Helfer is now the leader at Kennesaw State. In his 14 seasons at VSU, he’s gone 277-137 (24-7 this past season). He also won 186 games in 8 seasons at Southern Poly. Heard this one may be wrapped up on Tuesday.

Reactions: sport3500
St. John's has hired former Razorbacks HC Mike Anderson. Should be interesting to see how his style fits in with NYC kids/fans.

St. John's has hired former Razorbacks HC Mike Anderson. Should be interesting to see how his style fits in with NYC kids/fans.

You think it would fit well.

Considering how bad it was going for SJ, they improved from Mullin

I am way behind, but BYU is a private school. Private entities can hire based on certain qualifications or backgrounds.

Mississippi Valley State University has named Lindsey Hunter as the 11th head men’s basketball coach in school history, Director of Athletics Dianthia Ford-Kee announced Saturday. “I am elated to welcome Coach Lindsey Hunter and his family back to the Oasis of the Mississippi Delta and the SWAC,” said Ford-Kee. “I am excited about his energy,

Lipscomb is set to hire University of Alabama Huntsville’s Lennie Acuff as their new head basketball coach. This was first reported by Evan Daniels. Acuff will replace Casey Alexander who departed for Belmont earlier this month. In 22 seasons as the head coach at UAH, Acuff has amassed a 436-214 record, including a 24-8 tally

This one I didn’t see coming. He doesn’t seem like a pro coach to me at all. Why do this to yourself?

Most people think Beilein is clean. Kinda hard to compete against Kansas, Arizona, Memphis, LSU, Auburn, Duke, UNC if you are playing by the rules...

Prediction:
I hope he enjoyed coaching meaningful basketball in the Spring because it won’t happen anymore. No way this lasts more than 2 years. He’ll be working for the BTN, ESPN studio shows by the 2021 Final four.

I understand Beilein loves challenges and has wanted to move to the NBA for a few years (he would have been the Pistons coach if offered) but at 66 and taking over a team that won’t compete for at least two years minimum? That seems crazy to me.

Beilien is the third coach Cleveland has hired without NBA experience and Frank Vogel will coach the Lakers.

I understand Beilein loves challenges and has wanted to move to the NBA for a few years (he would have been the Pistons coach if offered) but at 66 and taking over a team that won’t compete for at least two years minimum? That seems crazy to me.

ESPN reported he didn’t want the Pistons job because they are a fringe playoff team and have no financial flexibility. The Cavs are getting a top 3 pick along with Sexton and young players. He can install his kind of play with a younger team. The front office is even encouraging him to developing a culture. It’s interesting.

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back