Carter declares for WNBA

21 points is hard to replace.
Then you have to revamp your offensive behind who?
Goody Goody.

I find myself wondering why anyone would want to come out early this year. At this point the next season could be canceled and nobody drafted. Then you've given up your scholarship and the only place you'll be playing is your parents' driveway.

I find myself wondering why anyone would want to come out early this year. At this point the next season could be canceled and nobody drafted. Then you've given up your scholarship and the only place you'll be playing is your parents' driveway.
very good observation

Reactions: Element01
Maybe she just preferred her parents’ driveway where she could call her own number? It’s also safer there right now....🤔

Reactions: FabSmokyVol

Wondering the same thing. I'll be surprised if the Wnba is not cancelled this summer. Of course; special provisions will probably be made in that case.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Declaring and hiring an agent are two different things. Allowances will be made depending on how the WNBA season goes.

A lot to consider here, for player and the associated organizations.
If there's to be an NCAA season, it's likely Miss Carter will be with A&M.
UNLESS, it is agreed that the players will be PAID regardless of whether there is to be a WNBA season. Which leads to the next question - will the NBA be able and willing to kick in; or will they receive enough of the $2-trillion to make ends meet?
Even a truncated NCAA season will allow her to get her degree; and if she already has that, she could get a huge jumpstart on a Masters.

Edited to add: Overseas ball could be a better-paying option; but the same roadblocks could deter that route as well. A very interesting situation.

Reactions: creekdipper
She absolutely lit the Lady Vols up. That was the only game I saw her play last year, but she was the best player I saw play last year. I know, I know, one game is not enough to go on, but what impressed me the most, besides the smooth 3/jump shot, hitting 90+% of her 10+ free throws, was her will to win. She would grab rebounds, especially off her on shot and rip 'em from bigger players, like she just wanted it more. Love her game, will to win and hope she balls out in the WNBA. Still, I'm so glad she's gone

The money,ain't in wnba,it is overseas. Why everybody acts like wnba is get rich is just blind to reality. She can play overseas, China, anywhere leagues play, she will make way more money than wnba. Most top talent plays both, why, because few are set for life on what they earn in wnba alone

Reactions: NoBackBoard
WNBA Salary Minimum
According to the website Women's Basketball Online, as of February 2011 the minimum salary for a Women's National Basketball Association player with less than three years of experience is $36,570. The minimum salary for a player with over three years experience is $53,000. The league also imposes a team salary cap. limiting. As of the 2011 season, the salary cap in the WNBA is $852,000.

WNBA Bonus Pay
The WNBA extends bonuses to players who achieve certain milestones in a season. As of February 2011, each player on a WNBA championship team earns an additional $10,500, with players on the runner-up team receiving a bonus of $5,250. Players who are eliminated in the semi-finals earn an extra $2,625 each while players who are on playoff teams eliminated in the quarter final round earn an extra $1,050. The WNBA's most valuable player gets a salary bonus of $15,000.

European League Salaries
Many WNBA players travel to Europe in the off-season to play in international women's basketball because of the much higher salaries. According to ESPN affiliate website Ballin Europe, a player with no WNBA experience can earn between $6,000 and $7,000 a month while playing in the top leagues in countries like Spain and Italy. A player with WNBA experience can earn an average of $13,000 a month while playing in the same tier league. Elite players, like Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi, earned annual salaries in the hundreds of thousands of dollars while playing aboard.

A convenience store manager makes as much as a WNBA minimum....The WNBA is the poorest marketed league I have ever seen. There are more women/girls than men,,,why isn't it ran better?...Marketing!

While living in Atlanta, I began to truly understand this. No advertisements on TV, two signs (one in Gwinnett and one in Dekalb) and the bulk of media available was on the free publications racks in Kroger and Blockbusters...Pitifully marketed.

That's under the old agreement. The new agreement has average WNBA salaries at $130,000 with the stars going to over $500,000. Their benefits shot through the roof as well. They are being well compensated in the new agreement relative to the earnings the league brings in.

That's under the old agreement. The new agreement has average WNBA salaries at $130,000 with the stars going to over $500,000. Their benefits shot through the roof as well. They are being well compensated in the new agreement relative to the earnings the league brings in.
That's crazy. They are going to plunge into the red unless they can improve their revenue stream.

It's debatable if they have the audience. Wbb is still very much a niche sport.

That's just it, they have a larger audience population than the men do.
333,481,053 Current population
164,630,742Current male population (49.4%)
168,850,311Current female population (50.6%)

They just have to market to them instead of just accepting who shows up

That's just it, they have a larger audience population than the men do.
333,481,053 Current population
164,630,742Current male population (49.4%)
168,850,311Current female population (50.6%)

They just have to market to them instead of just accepting who shows up

This assumes that women follow sports at the same percentage as men...and the ones that do will be open to watching the women's league vs. the men's league. If it was simple math, then there wouldn't be such a discrepancy in fan viewership. Even at the college level, the bread and butter fanbase are older fans/seniors/families vs. the students...and that's even when the men's team sucks but they have a strong women's team. Why do the female students attend the men's games in droves, but not the women's games?

Reactions: Dube
WNBA Salary Minimum
According to the website Women's Basketball Online, as of February 2011 the minimum salary for a Women's National Basketball Association player with less than three years of experience is $36,570. The minimum salary for a player with over three years experience is $53,000. The league also imposes a team salary cap. limiting. As of the 2011 season, the salary cap in the WNBA is $852,000.

WNBA Bonus Pay
The WNBA extends bonuses to players who achieve certain milestones in a season. As of February 2011, each player on a WNBA championship team earns an additional $10,500, with players on the runner-up team receiving a bonus of $5,250. Players who are eliminated in the semi-finals earn an extra $2,625 each while players who are on playoff teams eliminated in the quarter final round earn an extra $1,050. The WNBA's most valuable player gets a salary bonus of $15,000.

European League Salaries
Many WNBA players travel to Europe in the off-season to play in international women's basketball because of the much higher salaries. According to ESPN affiliate website Ballin Europe, a player with no WNBA experience can earn between $6,000 and $7,000 a month while playing in the top leagues in countries like Spain and Italy. A player with WNBA experience can earn an average of $13,000 a month while playing in the same tier league. Elite players, like Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi, earned annual salaries in the hundreds of thousands of dollars while playing aboard.

A convenience store manager makes as much as a WNBA minimum....The WNBA is the poorest marketed league I have ever seen. There are more women/girls than men,,,why isn't it ran better?...Marketing!

While living in Atlanta, I began to truly understand this. No advertisements on TV, two signs (one in Gwinnett and one in Dekalb) and the bulk of media available was on the free publications racks in Kroger and Blockbusters...Pitifully marketed.

I can’t let this one go by. You only noticed publications at a Blockbuster? Were you driving your Delorean? I didn’t even think the WNBA and Blockbuster simultaneously existed.

I can’t let this one go by. You only noticed publications at a Blockbuster? Were you driving your Delorean? I didn’t even think the WNBA and Blockbuster simultaneously existed.

It did and I worked for "Distributech" in South Cobb, the company that filled those racks in Kroger, Blockbuster and Quicktrip,,,400 plus locations bi-weekly

I was also on board with the bringing of the Atlanta Dream in its first year and even before that with the Atlanta commerce department head in charge of that account

So yes, I know this to be true

And no, I was driving a Firebird

VN Store

Back