Cars, Chips, Supply Chain...

I just spec'ed out a Chevy 2500 WT with the duramax $61,000 and change for a damn work truck. Absolutely insane, GMC was $64k.

I know you aren’t looking at these, but the 2023 GMC Canyon is going to START in the low $40k. Who the he** is going to buy a midsize truck that starts at that price tag? That’s lowers than starting price of the F-150, Silverado, and Ram 1500.

Do your research and be willing to drive a few hours. We recently bought a Infiniti QX60 and almost every dealer was marking up $3 to $5K as a market adjustment (or charging you $4995 for mats, ceramic coating and window tinting). We found a dealer 5 hours away that had zero markup and it was worth the drive as it literally saved us thousands of dollars.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I know you aren’t looking at these, but the 2023 GMC Canyon is going to START in the low $40k. Who the he** is going to buy a midsize truck that starts at that price tag? That’s lowers than starting price of the F-150, Silverado, and Ram 1500.

I’m just going keep what we have on the road and wait until the repo man comes and gets some of these overpriced trucks.

Reactions: zhangliao04 and GVF
I’m just going keep what we have on the road and wait until the repo man comes and gets some of these overpriced trucks.
He's probably right around the corner for some of these folks.

I believe you are right about that. I just can't fathom spending 80/90/100k on a pickup.

I been thinking about aclling the local ford dealer just to see how much that 2021, maybe early 2022, F350 6.7 King Ranch Tremor is listed for and what the market adjustment charge is. They had a 2021 new F250 6.7 Tremor with a 25K markup, and someone paid 105K for that thing.

I believe you are right about that. I just can't fathom spending 80/90/100k on a pickup.
That F350 King Ranch tremor 6.7 on Ford's build it thingy lists at over 96K with everything it had. Not to mention the dealer adjustment.

That F350 King Ranch tremor 6.7 on Ford's build it thingy lists at over 96K with everything it had. Not to mention the dealer adjustment.

And I will bet that is for the 2022 model, as of yesterday they didn't have the "build it" available for the 2023s so I'm sure it will be over 100k for them.

And I will bet that is for the 2022 model, as of yesterday they didn't have the "build it" available for the 2023s so I'm sure it will be over 100k for them.

You really gotta be rolling in dough to spend over a 100K or anything close for that matter, on a truck with King Ranch and Tremor, and all the fixins'. THe guy I saw that paid 105 for that other Tremor was with a paving company, and they were doing some work in front of our office when I saw him drive up. I was thinking h*** s***, it won't look like that for long. What the h*** was he doing buying that thing for a work truck. I had admired that truck for a bit when it was on the lot cause of the specific color of blue. That Ford Anti-matter Blue is legit. So, I knew the truck when he pulled up. And the majority of the rest of the population that pays for these have no towing use for them. A 6.2 F250 nicely appointed will MSRP under 60K and decked out for 72K, and tow up to 17K pounds with the appointments that get it to 72K. You can outfit an F150 to tow up to 13K pounds with the 5.0, and if you keep it in the XLT format can be had under 60K. But, Ford bless there PC hearts, has outfitted the new 5.0 trucks with the auto stop/start, so if you don't want that you gotta drop back to a '21 or older.

Last edited:
I walked the lot while having some service done at dealership recently. Seems like the market adjustment was about 6.5% on everything I saw available. A few of those vehicles were things I would actually consider if I needed one. My prediction for the future is that the next time a manufacturer enters bankruptcy the franchise/network territory contracts will be voided. Eventually, all of the big three will go bankrupt again. When the manufacturers come out of bankruptcy they will all move to a direct-to-consumer model like Tesla. I imagine something similar will happen with the foreign makers only through a different legal mechanism.

I walked the lot while having some service done at dealership recently. Seems like the market adjustment was about 6.5% on everything I saw available. A few of those vehicles were things I would actually consider if I needed one. My prediction for the future is that the next time a manufacturer enters bankruptcy the franchise/network territory contracts will be voided. Eventually, all of the big three will go bankrupt again. When the manufacturers come out of bankruptcy they will all move to a direct-to-consumer model like Tesla. I imagine something similar will happen with the foreign makers only through a different legal mechanism.

I think in a lot of states the law mandates the manufacture has a dealer network and can't sell direct. It's be nice to spec out and order a truck online then have it shipped directly.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I think in a lot of states the law mandates the manufacture has a dealer network and can't sell direct. It's be nice to spec out and order a truck online then have it shipped directly.
You’re right. Although, I never thought I’d see Tennessee unwind the three tier tax system for alcohol manufacture, distribution and sales, yet it’s been happening bit by bit with a handful of new exceptions coming out of the legislature every year since they finally allowed wine in grocery stores about a decade ago. Same thing could easily happen with cars.

You’re right. Although, I never thought I’d see Tennessee unwind the three tier tax system for alcohol manufacture, distribution and sales, yet it’s been happening bit by bit with a handful of new exceptions coming out of the legislature every year since they finally allowed wine in grocery stores about a decade ago. Same thing could easily happen with cars.

It's a little trickier that changing a tax code. Manufacturers and states require dealers to invest millions of dollars in order to become a dealer.

VN Store

Back