Carolina/Duke Basketball: The 2022-2023 Thread Celebrating the Tarheel Final Four Victory over Coach K in his Final Game

had to listen to lots of nonsense about why i didnt go to UT. Both parents were From UT families and we moved to nashville when I was 3 since Dad loved UT and possibly disliked the work he was doing for govt at fort detrick, md. I saw my first UT game at vandy and shuttled back and to Knoxville every fall before we moved to Knoxville.
Years later I seriously considered applying to Duke but it didnt seem like right fit. I vhose small college in NC and was often asked by folks back home if that school was in nashville.

After moving to bammer land, i immediately was asked if I was a tiger or tider, and identified myself as Vol fan. I later tool a job in durham because of the opportunity to report on ACC basketball. Wife worked at Duke Library while pregnant with our son, and. he became a serious Duke basketball fan. We later we moved nack to alabama (wife's home), and he attended summer programs at Duke but chose Rhodes and then Wash U in StL.

I pull for many college teams, even SLU (except when billikens play my alma mater. Ill always be loyal to the Volls and expect to tune into UT baseball game tonight.

Last night was painful, but I will definitely be a fan of both san diego state and princeton tonight

I just never understood being fans of multiple schools.

If I first became a fan of Duke or North Carolina basketball, then I'd be fan of Duke or North Carolina football.
They are all heartless bandwagon fans

Growing up in VA there were TONS of bandwagon Duke UNC fans. It's so gross.

That said I do root for Rhode Island basketball for random reasons from my childhood...but thats different than picking a front runner!

Reactions: UTFanHades

That said I do root for Rhode Island basketball for random reasons from my childhood...but thats different than picking a front runner!
like rams against majority of A10 teams depending on conference standings

Glad you stopped by after not reading any of the thread and then legitimizing your own fandom of Rhode Island with the same reasoning that the rest of us for have for participating in this thread. Good stuff. Not my fault I grew up 5 minutes from Duke’s campus and the team from your childhood sucks .

Glad you stopped by after not reading any of the thread and then legitimizing your own fandom of Rhode Island with the same reasoning that the rest of us for have for participating in this thread. Good stuff. Not my fault I grew up 5 minutes from Duke’s campus and the team from your childhood sucks .
Now I do like Duke more than UNC

Sucks? Blah blah blah

Typical Duke/UNC/UK/KU blueblood fan horsesh*t

Everyone sucks except for you guys yeah yeah I get it

Thank christ the Vols ended spoiled ass Duke's season

Yes you grew up in Durham and you get a pass, but there's no way every single Carolina Duke fan in here isn't some kind of bandwagoner

What about all the other schools in North Carolina? All of you just felt NC State and Wake weren't good enough?

Sorry that tobacco road inspires millions of fans to lose every bit of integrity they have has sports fans and go root for UNC or Duke despite zero ties to them other than their desire to choose guaranteed frontrunning teams.

The consequences of that are just always going to mean that your fandoms shall remain ridiculed for good reason.

Reactions: UTFanHades

Sucks? Blah blah blah

Yes you grew up in Durham and you get a pass, but there's no way every single Carolina Duke fan in here isn't some kind of bandwagoner

What about all the other schools in North Carolina? All of you just felt NC State and Wake weren't good enough?

Sorry that tobacco road inspires millions of fans to lose every bit of integrity they have has sports fans and go root for UNC or Duke despite zero ties to them other than their desire to choose guaranteed frontrunning teams.

The consequences of that are just always going to mean that your fandoms shall remain ridiculed for good reason.

That's totally fine if you feel that way,but it's also good to just live and let live. People like teams that they like for different reasons. This thread was a pretty interesting way to find that out. It's not always about being a frontrunner or a bandwagon fan. For example, I was rooting for Tennessee to Finally make their first Final Four this year. Unfortunately and frustratingly,they came up short. I like the underdog story as much as anyone. Anywho, enough of my rambling lol

Sucks? Blah blah blah

So you get a pass for random reasons to like RI from your childhood, but I don’t get a pass for random reasons from my childhood to like Duke?

Checks out, especially on this website

Full story:

I’m 42. As a kid when I was just getting really into playing basketball, I was on a team for 3 straight years that featured 2 really good guys that played in the paint and then myself and the coach’s son who could serve as PG or SG at any given time. We were both just serviceable. However, the coach got to pick his team’s All Star representative. Surprise surprise, he picked his son every time. One of the other guys played D1 ball. His son (nor myself fwiw) even sniffed NAIA.

At the exact same time, in my eyes and I still believe it to this day, Wade Houston was destroying Tennessee basketball by making sure he showcased his son instead of actually building a team. This created a ton of animosity for me with Tennessee basketball and really any father/son duos.

This was also coinciding with me idolizing Bobby Hurley. This turned into me being a huge fan of K.

If y’all want to get your panties in a wad because I have rooting interests elsewhere, I’m m not going to lose sleep over it. Fwiw, I love Old Dominion University. It’s my Alma mater and I literally worked with the athletic department so, again, I’m not going to lose sleep if y’all get all up in yourselves about it.
Didn’t K put his grandson on the team? Would that kid ordinarily play for Duke? I’m guessing not since he transferred to NYU after grandpappy left. Does this diminish your respect for him like it does other coaches since presumably a more deserving walk-on should have had that spot?

Didn’t K put his grandson on the team? Would that kid ordinarily play for Duke? I’m guessing not since he transferred to NYU after grandpappy left. Does this diminish your respect for him like it does other coaches since presumably a more deserving walk-on should have had that spot?

His grandson rode the pine. Are you that dumb and naive to make that kind of comparison?

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
His grandson rode the pine. Are you that dumb and naive to make that kind of comparison?
I don’t understand why you’re offended. You seemed to have a general disdain for coaches showing nepotism. I wasn’t sure how you reconciled that with Coach K since it’s clear his grandson had a place on the team through nepotism. Thus, it seems you’re not opposed to nepotism as a principle, but just to certain degrees and/or coaches?

I don’t understand why you’re offended. You seemed to have a general disdain for coaches showing nepotism. I wasn’t sure how you reconciled that with Coach K since it’s clear his grandson had a place on the team through nepotism. Thus, it seems you’re not opposed to nepotism as a principle, but just to certain degrees and/or coaches?
I’m not offended guy. Trying to insert some sort of pseudo dominance with false accusations about us and other situations in here is making you look weak, jealous and insecure. Do us all a favor and just stop.

I’m not offended guy. Trying to insert some sort of pseudo dominance with false accusations about us and other situations in here is making you look weak, jealous and insecure. Do us all a favor and just stop.
I generally assume people are offended when they resort to name calling from a simple question, but didn’t recognize you were using those as terms of endearment.

Not sure what you’re getting at with pseudo dominance or any of that. I certainly haven’t made any false accusations and I’d like to see you name a false statement that I made. Regardless, what do my other statements have to do with this question that you’re not answering?

Setting aside the insane reach of a comparison between Michael Savarino and Allan freaking Houston, "it's clear" you are pulling this straight out of your ass.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Setting aside the insane reach of a comparison between Michael Savarino and Allan freaking Houston, "it's clear" you are pulling this straight out of your ass.
One Coach put a guy on his team through nepotism. One guy promoted his son at the expense of his team. Both are examples of nepotism in principle but vary in degree. That’s not making something up. Again, not sure why people get offended and use language or name call when this gets mentioned.

One Coach put a guy on his team through nepotism. One guy promoted his son at the expense of his team. Both are examples of nepotism in principle but vary in degree. That’s not making something up. Again, not sure why people get offended and use language or name call when this gets mentioned.

You saying it's "clear" that Michael Savarino is a worse basketball player than Duke's other recent walk-ons is pretty obviously made up when everyone in this thread knows you can't name a single one of them

Reactions: volfanbill

VN Store

Back