Carl Pickens or Willie Gault?

Willie had the speed but Pickens was the better all around player and he played on defense too.

Yeah, this was my thoughts. If I remember correctly, Gault didn't have the best hands in the world.

If I was deciding on whether to go to a game today, I might choose to go if I knew Gault might run one all the way back, but deep down I would know that Pickens would help us win more games, overall.

Great story

I knew Ralph great man & Olympian

I loved Ralph, I had him for coaching track and field also. We learned so much from him about track, his Olympic experience, his whole take on the Smith/Carlos protest and Harry Edwards-which was quite interesting-and just life in general. Plus he got me TAC certified. He was one of the reasons that I had such a great experience at UT.

Pickens for sure. Gault was obviously faster but Pickens was more elusive and could jump through the roof.

I'm guessing the the only modern player to score on O/D and ST.

He was offered a spot on the bball team but Majors nixed it. Supposedly he schooled Dyron Nix regularly in pickup games

200w.gif

Steve Alatorre and Alan Cockrell................enough said.

Alan Cockrell=Andy Kelly There's literally no difference except Cockrell blew out his knee and couldn't run after that and Kelly could never run. Paint me in the same corner that doesn't understand all the Willie Gault love. I was in school the same time Willie was and he was a speed merchant. Kickoff returns, punt returns, post routes. Pickens was an a$$hole, but he had more WR skills than Gault ever dreamed of having and he could play DB. I've often wondered how 1988 would have turned out with Webb and Pickens playing. They were game changers. Carl Pickens could have played both ways his entire career and be the best athlete on the field for the Vols either way. He was the Dude with the Tude, but not worse than Kelly Washington. I loved to watch him play.

Willie was a track guy playing football who made it as a football player. He always dropped passes if he heard footsteps.I’d take Pickens as a better receiver and CP as a kick returner.

It's close. Pickens was a better WR and player overall

Had to guard a senior Pickens in a HS basketball scrimmage. I was a sophomore. He’d just walked in from a football camp so he should have been gassed. No. In my nightmares, I still see his shoes flying by my face as he dunked on me. I managed to get benched by shooting long threes, but the senior who went in for me faked an injury after getting dunked on twice and I got thrown back in there.

Am I getting serious Pickens or diva Pickens?

Cause that changes things.

Alan Cockrell=Andy Kelly There's literally no difference except Cockrell blew out his knee and couldn't run after that and Kelly could never run. Paint me in the same corner that doesn't understand all the Willie Gault love. I was in school the same time Willie was and he was a speed merchant. Kickoff returns, punt returns, post routes. Pickens was an a$$hole, but he had more WR skills than Gault ever dreamed of having and he could play DB. I've often wondered how 1988 would have turned out with Webb and Pickens playing. They were game changers. Carl Pickens could have played both ways his entire career and be the best athlete on the field for the Vols either way. He was the Dude with the Tude, but not worse than Kelly Washington. I loved to watch him play.
I would still rather have Gault......because of the speed and the return game.

Both were great!

Kelly > Cockrell

What Gault did best was to return kicks. In today’s game he’d never have an opportunity. Same thing if comparing kickers. Maybe there was a great drop kicker from the day… not very useful today.

Gault also had Hancock, Wilson, and Miller alongside to prevent defenses from focusing on only him.

Pickens. But I’d rather Willie date my sister than Carl.

VN Store

Back