Can we get a hat that says “Throw the..

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
“Throw the Damn ball!”

I’d buy one. I yelled it enough Saturday 😂

Here to hoping Milton lights it up Saturday. I’m pulling him and all the men in orange.

Plus I don’t really care for Pitt. Never really payed attention to them but their fans so far are about what I would have expected. Plus they gave us Sal Suseri

I'd buy a hat that says, "You know your job better than I know your job, coach, so DO WHATEVER YOU THINK GETS US THE "W", DAMMIT!"

They sell those?

p.s. If we'd thrown the ball a lot into double coverage last Thursday, we might've had a few interceptions and the game might've been a helluva lot closer than it was. Good thing we have coaches who can figure out what the defense is giving us, and then take advantage of that with a strong run attack, for instance. ;)

Milton looked great the first qtr. Then he & the team had a lull in execution (dropped passes, catching the ball OOBs, penalty) killed the only 2 drives of the 2nd qtr and people are freaking out. After half, Heupel had decided to take the run, not throw into coverage and win the game comfortably. Stats didnt look good but he could have easily been 15-21 with almost 200 yds. That's pretty good.

I'd buy a hat that says, "You know your job better than I know your job, coach, so DO WHATEVER YOU THINK GETS US THE "W", DAMMIT!"

They sell those?

p.s. If we'd thrown the ball a lot into double coverage last Thursday, we might've had a few interceptions and the game might've been a helluva lot closer than it was. Good thing we have coaches who can figure out what the defense is giving us, and then take advantage of that with a strong run attack, for instance. ;)
Smart reply!

“Throw the Damn ball!”

I’d buy one. I yelled it enough Saturday 😂

Here to hoping Milton lights it up Saturday. I’m pulling him and all the men in orange.

Plus I don’t really care for Pitt. Never really payed attention to them but their fans so far are about what I would have expected. Plus they gave us Sal Suseri
Judging by the replies I think some people did it understand what the purpose of this post was.
I sat in Y8 behind the uprights and let me tell ya… on about five or six occasions my section was yelling, “Throw the ball!” I am by now means complaining about Milton, but the dude missed Jaylin Hyatt down the seam multiple times! I think that’s the OP meant from this post! Go Vols and beat PITT!

I yelled it for awhile last Saturday too but luckily before the KCPD showed up I realized that the stadium being empty was probably a good sign that I was either really late or really early .

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

They sell those?

That would be pretty dumb for passing plays where the qb is standing flat footed in the back field d overlooking wide open receivers, but thanks for blindly spinning all negative sounding posts. You’re doing an excellent job👍

Last edited:
That would be pretty dumb for passing plays where the qb is standing flat footed in the back feild overlooking wide open receivers, but thanks for blindly spinning all negative sounding posts. You’re doing an excellent job👍
Let's just take a moment and try to count up all the things our coaches--and many of our better players--know that we don't. Boil it right down to a single play. Just one play. What do they know, what advantages do they have over us?

(a) They know the capabilities of our QB. Far, far better than any of us. They've spent hours with him, hours upon hours, on the practice field, in the QB room, studying tape, talking, listening, watching, evaluating. We have what, 3 minutes of film a day, at most, for the 15 days of camp? (Thanks again, Fingers!)
(b) They also know the capabilities of each WR. Each TE. Each RB. Each lineman, and the OL as a protective ensemble. We know even less about all these guys than we do the QBs.
(c) They know our playbook. Some of them literally wrote the playbook. They know which plays can be called, and which can't yet. None of us have ever seen the playbook, not even a single glimpse.
(d) Not only that, the coaches and players know the _specific_ play called on this down. They know what options the QB has, and what he doesn't. They know which receivers are "live" to receive a pass and which aren't. They know the reads, and the progression. We know none of that.
(e) They've spent hours upon hours studying the opponent's defense. They know the capabilities and limitations of each opposing player. They know when our lads and theirs line up what matchups are favorable to us. We usually don't know much of that. Maybe the more astute of us will be keying on where their best DBs are and where our best WRs are and whether any of our best are covered by a weaker defender. Maybe. Sometimes. These are things the coaches, and our players, are intensely aware of on every play where it matters.

I could go on. Those are just some of the biggest ones. But one thing's for sure. When we stand in the bleachers, and we see an open receiver and a QB holding the ball, we're thinking as if the lads were playing a pick up game in the back yard. He's open, throw to him. Without knowing all that stuff above, it seems as easy as that.

We're watching checkers. They're playing 3-dimensional chess.

And when they're doing it well, we win games. When we face a lesser opponent, we win by something like 32 points.

So yeah, how about instead of shouting "throw the damn ball" for the 30th time tonight, we spend more time appreciating and enjoying all the complexity behind what we're seeing. Or at least tip our caps to the coaches and players for having a much deeper understanding than we ever will.

You know, from the bleachers.

Go Vols!

Last edited:

They sell those?

I’d rather our QB throw into double coverage, than take a blind hit.

It not about play calls, it’s about pulling the trigger and letting it fly.

They should blind fold our QBs in practice. Timing is everything. Without the blindfold would have to be easier.

Reactions: LittleVol
Let's just take a moment and try to count up all the things our coaches--and many of our better players--know that we don't. Boil it right down to a single play. Just one play. What do they know, what advantages do they have over us?

(a) They know the capabilities of our QB. Far, far better than any of us. They've spent hours with him, hours upon hours, on the practice field, in the QB room, studying tape, talking, listening, watching, evaluating. We have what, 3 minutes of film a day, at most, for the 15 days of camp?
(b) They also know the capabilities of each WR. Each TE. Each lineman, and the OL as a protective ensemble. We know even less about all these guys than we do the QBs.
(c) They know our playbook. They know which plays can be called, and which can't yet. Some of them literally wrote the playbook. None of us have ever seen the playbook, not even a single glimpse.
(d) Not only that, the coaches and players know the _specific_ play called in on this down. They know what options the QB has, and what he doesn't. They know which receivers are "live" to receive a pass and which aren't. They know the reads, and the progression. We know none of that.
(e) They've spent hours upon hours studying the opponent's defense. They know the capabilities and limitations of each opposing player. They know when our lads and theirs line up what matchups are favorable to us. We usually don't know much of that. Maybe the more astute of us will be keying on where their best DBs are and where our best WRs are and whether any of our best are covered by a weaker defender. Maybe. Sometimes. These are things the coaches, and our players, are intensely aware of on every play where it matters.

I could go on. Those are just some of the biggest ones. But one thing's for sure. When we stand in the bleachers, and we see an open receiver and a QB holding the ball, we're thinking as if the lads were playing a game of pickup in the back yard. He's open, throw to him. Without knowing all that stuff above, it seems as easy as that.

We're watching checkers. They're playing 3-dimensional chess.

And when they're doing it well, we win by something like 32 points.

So yeah, how about instead of shouting "throw the damn ball" for the 30th time tonight, we spend more time appreciating and enjoying all the complexity behind what we're seeing. Or at least tip our caps to the coaches and players for having a much deeper understanding than we ever will.

You know, from the bleachers.

Go Vols!
You made a completely irrelevant reply to the op just because you thought it was negative. Now you’re doubling down with more bs.
Milton didn’t look really great last week. People are commenting on it. It’s a discussion board, everything supposed to be butterflies and bumblebees all the time?
Hopefully Milton will turn it all around and end the debate Saturday.

Reactions: igotworms
Judging by the replies I think some people did it understand what the purpose of this post was.
I sat in Y8 behind the uprights and let me tell ya… on about five or six occasions my section was yelling, “Throw the ball!” I am by now means complaining about Milton, but the dude missed Jaylin Hyatt down the seam multiple times! I think that’s the OP meant from this post! Go Vols and beat PITT!
People need to read this.

I don't think OP was commenting on run vs pass plays, I think he was talking about how long Milton held the ball.

No reason to yell ANYTHING in a coach’s second game except “Go VOLS!” Heupel has ran exactly 3600 seconds of actual game time here. I think we can cut him just a wee bit of slack for now.

What does the number of game-clock seconds that Heupel has coached at UT have to do with Milton Holding the ball 3x longer than any successful QB in the SEC?

I’d rather our QB throw into double coverage, than take a blind hit.

It not about play calls, it’s about pulling the trigger and letting it fly.

They should blind fold our QBs in practice. Timing is everything. Without the blindfold would have to be easier.
Welcome to the board Reece Bobby.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
You made a completely irrelevant reply to the op just because you thought it was negative. Now you’re doubling down with more bs.
Milton didn’t look really great last week. People are commenting on it. It’s a discussion board, everything supposed to be butterflies and bumblebees all the time?
I think his point is that even though “people are commenting on it” (as you say), the coaches clearly know more than the bums (like you and I) yelling from the stands.

You missed the memo, I'll have it sent right over. The short version though, is that we are not to form opinions regarding the play on the field unless we have D1 coaching experience. We should wait for the coaches to tell us if what we saw was good or not.

People need to read this.

I don't think OP was commenting on run vs pass plays, I think he was talking about how long Milton held the ball.

You all prob saw this interview (but I've not seen it mentioned specifically, after last Thur's game), explaining how the offense is "simple" (speaking for the QB position) / "decisions are easy -- all you really have to do is drop back and play ball, really" ( seems HB is speaking in terms of quickly finding open receivers / drop back VS hold the ball for so long VS handing off).

HB says we saw it (this simplicity) in the Spring game; except, of course, Milton wasn't there.

Something, it appeared vs BG, is not "simple" for Milton, regarding his standing in the pocket for multiple seconds at a time (i.e. could our receivers get open VS the Orange defense, but not BG (/ was it, that BG was rushing only 3)?).

If HB (per Spring game) sees JH's offense schemes as getting the D out of alignment, then why was our qb standing in the pocket for so long, so often?

I'm interested to see how Milton runs the offense vs Pitt.

For much of 2020 season, JH had the FCU qb throwing for 450 yrds on average (Milton will obv need to start throwing for > 150 yrds ( whatever his stats were vs BG)).

VN Store

Back