Can the Vols regroup enough to win a road game?

knox73

Tennessee is absolutely not nor was ever realistically a CFB championship type team. Multiple poor performances on the road cannot happen for a champ team.
That was a spectacular flop last night and Tennessee had the distinction of being the one top ranked team that laid an egg during upset Saturday.
The epic flop follows the lackluster effort vs. Georgia in which Georgia could have scored at least 3 more touchdowns. It was certainly fun to be briefly number 1 and have the excitement of being in the championship discussion for 3 weeks but the final flameout was quite a spectacle at SC.

Let's back off the Top 5 delusional chatter and judge the team vs. the SEC which is the first criterion.

The 2022 Vols generated some great thrills including the Bama and Florida wins and the perfect record at home.
Excitement is back in Knoxville and big time money is flowing into the program. Give credit to the coaches and squad for taking a massive step forward.

Every SEC team except Bama and Georgia - the two elite teams - had an embarrassing beatdown sometime during the season. Ole Miss was embarrassed by Arkansas yesterday and you can see the absolute parity and difficulty of road wins within the conference.

Tennessee will be in for a massive fight next week vs. a dramatically improved Vanderbilt squad and congratulations to Vandy for their major improvement. A loss to Vandy on the road will certainly tarnish the record for the 2022 Vols but unless they regroup with significant heart and purpose this next week - I will be surprised if they can win in Nashville given the pathetic road game vs. South Carolina. Each week is a different situation and possibly Joe Milton can take the helm and put up some points. The defense is horrific and it is likely a combination of scheme and personnel. I think Heupel should play some of the freshmen who cannot be redshirted and give opportunity to the younger guys. The transfer portal has to be evaluated to improve squad speed and depth in the off season.

Overall the 2022 Vols played better than their squad talent could expect and the coaches have done a superb job to this point. A 10-2 regular season is a marvelous accomplishment and lays the groundwork for a bright future for the program. There are few easy road wins in the SEC and a loss to Vandy to close out the season would be a massive step back from number 1 in the nation to 2nd within the State of Tennessee in 22 days.

Go Vols and get your winning formula back! There is still a lot to play for.

Incredibly pathetic game all the way around. Not sure coaches can right the ship or get kids to care vs Vandy (playing happy and loose, 2 game streak, bowl on the line).

Reactions: oz615
Incredibly pathetic game all the way around. Not sure coaches can right the ship or get kids to care vs Vandy (playing happy and loose, 2 game streak, bowl on the line).

We may need to lean on backups and freshmen. One bright spot is that it will help give these players experience for next year.

I know people on here and "Football Time" are being accused of being a fair weather fan, etc. but it is hard to be a fan of a team when you see that they quit like the defense did yesterday. The defensive players basically gave the middle finger to the fans, school, etc. by not playing (if rumors are true).

I think offense started to struggle to once they got into a whole, it is hard to be motived with how bad that defense played yesterday.

Reactions: loservol
I think we should start and over/under for how many opt out of Vandy and bowl games.
Nobody should opt out of the Vandy game and be able to retain their scholarship or NIL, if they have it.
As for the bowl game, some will probably do it. While I don’t agree with it, it’s the world we live in now.
But regular season games should be played in, especially by players in whom the University has invested with scholarships and all that comes with that.
I’m tired of kids being pampered. We’ve had that with Jones and Dooley, and it makes me sick. I hope we’ve gotten away from that.

Nobody should opt out of the Vandy game and be able to retain their scholarship or NIL, if they have it.
As for the bowl game, some will probably do it. While I don’t agree with it, it’s the world we live in now.
But regular season games should be played in, especially by players in whom the University has invested with scholarships and all that comes with that.
I’m tired of kids being pampered. We’ve had that with Jones and Dooley, and it makes me sick. I hope we’ve gotten away from that.

Most players don't opt out but they play sometimes with a reduced effort to avoid injury. That is the key to watch out for. (Basically they are less physical and take less risks).

Tennessee is absolutely not nor was ever realistically a CFB championship type team. Multiple poor performances on the road cannot happen for a champ team.
That was a spectacular flop last night and Tennessee had the distinction of being the one top ranked team that laid an egg during upset Saturday.
The epic flop follows the lackluster effort vs. Georgia in which Georgia could have scored at least 3 more touchdowns. It was certainly fun to be briefly number 1 and have the excitement of being in the championship discussion for 3 weeks but the final flameout was quite a spectacle at SC.

Let's back off the Top 5 delusional chatter and judge the team vs. the SEC which is the first criterion.

The 2022 Vols generated some great thrills including the Bama and Florida wins and the perfect record at home.
Excitement is back in Knoxville and big time money is flowing into the program. Give credit to the coaches and squad for taking a massive step forward.

Every SEC team except Bama and Georgia - the two elite teams - had an embarrassing beatdown sometime during the season. Ole Miss was embarrassed by Arkansas yesterday and you can see the absolute parity and difficulty of road wins within the conference.

Tennessee will be in for a massive fight next week vs. a dramatically improved Vanderbilt squad and congratulations to Vandy for their major improvement. A loss to Vandy on the road will certainly tarnish the record for the 2022 Vols but unless they regroup with significant heart and purpose this next week - I will be surprised if they can win in Nashville given the pathetic road game vs. South Carolina. Each week is a different situation and possibly Joe Milton can take the helm and put up some points. The defense is horrific and it is likely a combination of scheme and personnel. I think Heupel should play some of the freshmen who cannot be redshirted and give opportunity to the younger guys. The transfer portal has to be evaluated to improve squad speed and depth in the off season.

Overall the 2022 Vols played better than their squad talent could expect and the coaches have done a superb job to this point. A 10-2 regular season is a marvelous accomplishment and lays the groundwork for a bright future for the program. There are few easy road wins in the SEC and a loss to Vandy to close out the season would be a massive step back from number 1 in the nation to 2nd within the State of Tennessee in 22 days.

Vandy? Um…no. Vandy is nothing special. Florida laid down. Watch the game again

Until that locker room situation gets solved, I don't take them to win anymore games this season.

There's zero excuse for what happened.
Even if the whole 2nd team defense had played it shouldn't have been that bad.

Credit to USC for having a variety of offensive attacks. It wasn't just our defense sucking. But yeah....it was mostly the defense sucking.

Certainly don't play well when they're on the road. Vandy has some momentum and we just shat the bed. Make for a closer game than it should be or a azz whopping if we play like last night again.

Until that locker room situation gets solved, I don't take them to win anymore games this season.

There's zero excuse for what happened.
Even if the whole 2nd team defense had played it shouldn't have been that bad.

Credit to USC for having a variety of offensive attacks. It wasn't just our defense sucking. But yeah....it was mostly the defense sucking.
Agreed. If there's locker room problems coupled with injuries or if players decide to bow out, we could very well get beat next Saturday.

I think we should start and over/under for how many opt out of Vandy and bowl games.
No offense but I'm having trouble thinking of anyone on our roster who would be drafted. Or are we thinking some will transfer? Now that I could envision. There are a few of our DBs that I'd encourage to enter the portal.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

This is a terrible take. UF turnovers caused the loss to a Vandy. Yes, TN played atrocious and Banks being out certainly hurt us but expecting a loss to Vandy is ridiculous even without Hooker. I’ll be there and it will basically be a home game for us I’m sure. It will be a Milton coming out party and practice with the ones this week will assist.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
And we are special right now???
So you all think this will repeat itself. This was a preparation issue not a talent issue. If it was talent it would have happened more this year. Just don’t think Heupel let’s this EVER happen again

Please everyone, don’t fear Vandy. This isn’t a Butch, Pruitt or Dooley team. We will be fine

I’m sorry but Vandy will be a partial home game. That is not a true road game.

No offense but I'm having trouble thinking of anyone on our roster who would be drafted. Or are we thinking some will transfer? Now that I could envision. There are a few of our DBs that I'd encourage to enter the portal.
Are you being serious? Talking about defense? Young will be drafted. Tillman, Hyatt, Wright just to name a few.

Any SEC QB and most Power 5 QBs can light up a defense that plays and tackles as poorly as Tenn did yesterday. When the O gets off to a fast start, (as a current defensive secondary coach MS & HS football) the play calling and reads are more simplified. When we are playing catch up and the other team is leading, their defensive calls/reads get simpler and ours get harder. Exp: look how Mizzou QB played at Neyland until they got behind.

No way is this a lock.

Hopefully Milton spends to week working on his timing and touch.

Hopefully Tenn can play average defense.

Hopefully the team shows a little pride.

But after yesterday, all bets are off.

VN Store

Back