Can the Vols be relevant while Saban is at the helm in Alabama?

gr82batnvol

Personally, I think the day Saban retires is when the Vols will have a chance to once again be relevant in SEC play. His recruiting year after year, and his production on the football field is very hard to overcome. The more I think about it, I’m glad Georgia lost. They need to lose momentum in recruiting. Alabama may indeed be on top for another 5-10 years but once Saban leaves, they won’t have the same kind of dominant success. Not that I think Smart is in the same league, but we don’t need a young Saban disciple creating his own legacy just because he’s the student of one of the best coaches in the game today (unless it’s Pruitt at UT) but I just don’t see that happening with either team. At some point, the Saban bubble is going to burst.

Last edited:
When he retires Tennessee will immediately leapfrog the other 7 or 8 (on average) teams in the league that outrecruit the Vols and establish a dominance heretofore never seen in nature. Why? Because all of those Bama recruits have been itching to come to Knoxville all these years. but for Saban's congenial attitude towards them.

Yes. While getting to Atlanta and/or the playoffs would be nice, I'd be happy if the team can get up to 9 or 10 regular season games. We would probably be a yearly lock for the Outback or Citrus Bowl, and possibly a decent chance to play in one of the NY6 non playoff bowl games.

Reactions: UTwild82
We are one of only two conference teams that have to play Bama and UGA every year. Winning championships ain’t happening any time soon, if ever, as long as Saban is there. Even 10 win seasons would be rare because it would require being flawless on the other 10 games.

We are at best a perennial 9 win team until there is some sort of power shift in the SEC.

We are one of only two conference teams that have to play Bama and UGA every year. Winning championships ain’t happening any time soon, if ever, as long as Saban is there. Even 10 win seasons would be rare because it would require being flawless on the other 10 games.

We are at best a perennial 9 win team until there is some sort of power shift in the SEC.
Pretty much facts.

I think yes we can win with the right coach and It is looking like we have our man. I've never been one to run from an opponent and I hope we continue the game with Alabama.

Recruit and develop like they do and you certainly can win. Georgia is getting close no reason we couldn't do it if we ever get the right combination of coaches and recruiting plus player development.

The bama faithful seem to think Freeze will be joining their team in a few days so I guess saban's has a lock on all things football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol
The bama faithful seem to think Freeze will be joining their team in a few days so I guess saban's has a loc on all things football.
Going against Saban in recruiting is like the popular kid going against the unpopular kid where they're picking their teams from the guys standing around and the popular guy gets to pick his whole team first and the unpopular guy gets what's left. His team s are stupid good. Even when they're bad.

Can the Vols ever be relevant again, losing 5 out of 7 to Vandy should answer the question for the time being

The Vols will never be relevant again as long as Vandy is in the same state, forget Sabin and Bama

Reactions: KBVol
Going against Saban in recruiting is like the popular kid going against the unpopular kid where they're picking their teams from the guys standing around and the popular guy gets to pick his whole team first and the unpopular guy gets what's left. His team s are stupid good. Even when they're bad.

This is how it looks to me. So little parity in college football. It is all but ruined. I guess I would be happy if the Vols were the ones who were so dominant, but man something isn't right when a team like Alabama can have a game like last night and play about the worst that they can and still win against what I would call the second best team in the country.

Last edited:
Other coaches and players put on their pants on one leg at a time just like us. They are not somehow supernatural. Bama should have lost yesterday. The Ga coaches had a great plan, we didn't.

That's a big leap. Right now, we're the 3rd best team in the state (thank goodness we beat ETSU).

Teams not named Bama can be relevant in the SEC (UGA just played for the NC). Not sure Saban will coach long enough for us to get to that level. Something tells me that when he's done he'll just unexpectedly announce it and nobody will see it coming.

Reactions: eroller1141@gmail
Yes. Pruitt can beat Saban.

fan-cosplays-as-the-joker-from-batman-suicide-squad-and-the-dc-2017-picture-id858455060

Personally, I think the day Saban retires is when the Vols will have a chance to once again be relevant in SEC play. His recruiting year after year, and his production on the football field is very hard to overcome. The more I think about it, I’m glad Georgia lost. They need to lose momentum in recruiting. Alabama may indeed be on top for another 5-10 years but once Saban leaves, they won’t have the same kind of dominant success. Not that I think Smartt is in the same league, but we don’t need a young Saban disciple creating his own legacy just because he’s the student of one of the best coaches in the game today (unless it’s Pruitt at UT) but I just don’t see that happening with either team. At some point, the Saban bubble is going to burst.
Georgia is relevant. Florida is relevant. At times, Auburn has been relevant while Saban has been at Alabama and so has TAM and Ole Miss and Miss State.

10 wins relevant ? Yes. NC relevant? No
Yeah I don’t see TN winning another title in my lifetime and it sucks. Major issues would need to be addressed and fixed before this program wins titles again but yes I could easily see 10 win seasons again no doubt....will TN ever challenge for the CFP? MAYBE in 10 years if they get lucky....

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Other coaches and players put on their pants on one leg at a time just like us. They are not somehow supernatural. Bama should have lost yesterday. The Ga coaches had a great plan, we didn't.
They have something better than supernaturaal -the perception of supernaturality (is that even a word?). It exists in nature's playground - their opponent's mind.
It's sort of like this exchange in Catch Me If You Can" -

Frank Abagnale Sr.:
You know why the Yankees always win, Frank?

Frank Abagnale, Jr.:
'Cause they have Mickey Mantle?

Frank Abagnale Sr.:
No, it's 'cause the other teams can't stop staring at those damn pinstripes.

Of course, Alabama is seriously good. But, we expect them to win. Everyone (especially Gary) expects them to win. And they do.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back