Can someone provide a metric

To substantiate the claim that Harrison Bailey has a weak arm? I have seen nothing to suggest this is true, quite the contrary. He was a high 4 almost 5 star kid, and from what I can tell it wasn’t arm strength keeping him from 5. I’ve only seen anecdotal, “feeling” commentary from our disgruntled fanbase. Does he have a Shuler arm, no, but the guy isn’t Chad Pennington. He’s got average to above average SEC QB arm strength. Unless you can show me a number or stat, please, stop with the “ball doesn’t seem to zip out of his hand” nonsense. A good QB throws the ball as hard as he needs to in order to complete the pass. I don’t want Jeff George fastballs.
Why do you need evidence he can't throw the ball hard, but you don't need evidence that he can? Lol

Why do you need evidence he can't throw the ball hard, but you don't need evidence that he can? Lol
I wasn’t saying I didn’t want him to throw fastballs if needed. Just saying he doesn’t need to be Jeff George to be strong armed. Also, not looking for someone to disprove a false negative. Looking for someone to substantiate the claim.

He made some pretty throws, and some on a rope, in the spring game and will have over a year in a real S&C and nutrition program, so he will only get stronger.
People say “it was just the spring game,” but the other QBs were either “meh” or flat sucked in the Spring game, in comparison. Until we have some other sample, I’m going to go with the eye test.

People say “it was just the spring game,” but the other QBs were either “meh” or flat sucked in the Spring game, in comparison. Until we have some other sample, I’m going to go with the eye test.
He certainly looked like the best passer that day.

Compared to Worley, Ainge, etc. I think he has a strong, accurate arm.

We really haven't had that accurate a passer since maybe Bray.

I wasn’t saying I didn’t want him to throw fastballs if needed. Just saying he doesn’t need to be Jeff George to be strong armed. Also, not looking for someone to disprove a false negative. Looking for someone to substantiate the claim.
I think he has touch. I think he has a good enough arm to play in the SEC, but I also think he has the weakest arm on the team just because the other three guys have cannons.

I was just saying that I could just as easily ask you to prove HB doesn't have a weak arm. Why should your hypothesis be the null? It's really just your eye test vs mine until someone sciences it up in here lol.

Geez, I remember the AJ Suggs, Brandon Stewart contingent being some of the worst. We would’ve won world championships with those two according to some. And I think Suggs actually had a medical condition where his arm went numb if I recall correctly.

I didn't know that about Suggs arm. That would explain a lot. If my TV wasn't half the weight of my car at that time, I'd have thrown it out my front door a few times over him.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
I think he has touch. I think he has a good enough arm to play in the SEC, but I also think he has the weakest arm on the team just because the other three guys have cannons.

I was just saying that I could just as easily ask you to prove HB doesn't have a weak arm. Why should your hypothesis be the null? It's really just your eye test vs mine until someone sciences it up in here lol.
Fair enough. I’m definitely not the one to science anything up.

I think started the thread because I’ve just been seeing some “weak arm” assertions. In terms of proving he doesn’t, I would just reference the fact that he doesn’t have a problem being late, or with intermediate to deep completion and accuracy, which is, as you said, strong enough.

To substantiate the claim that Harrison Bailey has a weak arm? I have seen nothing to suggest this is true, quite the contrary. He was a high 4 almost 5 star kid, and from what I can tell it wasn’t arm strength keeping him from 5. I’ve only seen anecdotal, “feeling” commentary from our disgruntled fanbase. Does he have a Shuler arm, no, but the guy isn’t Chad Pennington. He’s got average to above average SEC QB arm strength. Unless you can show me a number or stat, please, stop with the “ball doesn’t seem to zip out of his hand” nonsense. A good QB throws the ball as hard as he needs to in order to complete the pass. I don’t want Jeff George fastballs.

I don’t think he has a weak arm, but I do think he was lacking in some areas last year. Long, slow delivery, erratic, very slow in the pocket and when moving. Most of that is to be expected with a true freshman and crappy coaching. He’ll improve going forward.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
IMO HBs arm plays above average against average secondaries......HB abilties are cerebral...quick decision, proper reads....but can you trust him the thread the needle between 2 defenders when playing an above average secondary?? IDK history his slow delivery and "touch" tell me 9 outta 10 times its batted down or picked...even against am average 2ndary its more about reading the defense....my big example was Florida...where 65% of his completions went for 5 yards or less and 8 outta those 9 went for 4 or less... so while makong the right reads..pushing the ball downfield or making plays against above average team isn't in his wheelhouse so far...mind you so far...taking what a defense gives you is great...and safe....and lead to 14 to 21 points a game and blowout losses against even level teams....QBs have to be able to make plays.....sometimes take what a defense isn't giving them....HB doesn't do that against average or better teams....
Bottom line whoever starts is gonna have to take chances...we are not a cream of the crop football team...I think we can be a 7 or 8 win team...or a 5 or less win team...depends on if we take wins or just settle for what the other teams give us

Reactions: 1vol8
IMO HBs arm plays above average against average secondaries......HB abilties are cerebral...quick decision, proper reads....but can you trust him the thread the needle between 2 defenders when playing an above average secondary?? IDK history his slow delivery and "touch" tell me 9 outta 10 times its batted down or picked...even against am average 2ndary its more about reading the defense....my big example was Florida...where 65% of his completions went for 5 yards or less and 8 outta those 9 went for 4 or less... so while makong the right reads..pushing the ball downfield or making plays against above average team isn't in his wheelhouse so far...mind you so far...taking what a defense gives you is great...and safe....and lead to 14 to 21 points a game and blowout losses against even level teams....QBs have to be able to make plays.....sometimes take what a defense isn't giving them....HB doesn't do that against average or better teams....
Bottom line whoever starts is gonna have to take chances...we are not a cream of the crop football team...I think we can be a 7 or 8 win team...or a 5 or less win team...depends on if we take wins or just settle for what the other teams give us
Now he has a slow delivery? Shall we make a thread for that?

Some of our fan base feels the need to complain....It comes with the last decade of mostly bad football....But, if Bailey looks good come game time, these same complainers will become "I told you so fans" lose, or win.

He looks great to me.....
Complaining has been there since during Fulmer area. Very entitled mentality among our fanbase. It’s embarrassing.

Now he has a slow delivery? Shall we make a thread for that?
He actually does have a slow release. That can’t be argued. It contributed to several fumbles last year. It’s one of the things I’m sure Heupel will have to take into consideration when choosing his qb. Think of yourself as an opposing defense. How do you beat UT with each of these qbs as their qb? With HB it’s as simple as getting pressure with your front 7 and making him move off his spot and making him throw from a dirty pocket. If you can’t get pressure, you’re screwed. But if you can, you’re likely to gain a few extra possessions. The o line isn’t expected to be great and that’s a concern for HB.

hendon Hooker definitely does not have a cannon. his arm is weaker than Bailey''s imo.

VN Store

Back