Can someone explain to me Bama’s hatred for Fulmer?

When Fulmer talked to close friends he spoke of being not allowed to even get in the Albert Means home,due to Bammer had locked the situation up,to the tune of $250,000.

If I recall correctly, bama also got nailed for the recruitment/paying of some kids out of Melrose high school as well.

Is it solely because Bama was Fulmer’s whipping boy for a decade?

If you go to their boards, it’s nothing but repeated insults at Fulmer and his weight. I went to a thread titled “What’s happened to Tennessee over these last 11 years?” and it’s filled with comments to some degree of “Karma for Phat a Phil” and “Old fatty is finally getting what he deserves”

I went to a different board and the first thread I saw was “I wonder if Phatimous will make the trip to Tuscaloosa.” These threads also repeatedly allude to us cheating, forging grades, etc (apparently we don’t run a squeaky clean program like Bama).

Don’t get me wrong, I love knowing that even after all this time we still seem to occupy a good amount of space in their tiny inbred brains, but did something happen with Fulmer and Bama that I’m not remembering?

Or again, is this just solely because Fulmer spent his career routinely beating them like a drum and they are still salty about it?

They are Bama. It just means more.

Reactions: LibertyVol
They are Bama. It just means more.

Fulmer apparently confidentially suggested that the NCAA look into recruiting violations regarding Albert Means (of Memphis ... what a surprise). The FBI later investigated and there was a federal lawsuit against Alabama booster Logan Young, during that time, the feds released documents naming Fulmer as the informant. During the trial, the Feds attempted to show that Young tried to shop Means to several other SEC and non-SEC schools. I've always thought that negative recruiting stemming from the Albert Means debacle had a lot more to do with Fulmer's sudden inability to recruit than "he lost his edge", or he "got lazy".

The whole problem in a way goes back to the NCAA - they make rules and don't have the capability to enforce them ... see the recent FBI investigation of college basketball. Fulmer was right to report Bama; it's absurd to have your lunch eaten by cheaters without taking action to level the playing field and the recruiting field.

BTW Logan Young was found dead in his Memphis home a few years later. Originally it was treated as a homicide, and then ruled he fell and suffered a severe head injury. Makes you think that somehow the Clintons must have been involved.

ESPN.com: NCAA - Vols' coach aided NCAA investigation of 'Bama

Logan Young, Key Figure in Alabama Scandal, Murdered

And BTW James Neal - Vandy grad represented Logan Young. James Neal's law firm was the same one that filed the Title IX lawsuit against UT just a few years ago.

Reactions: feathersax
When Fulmer talked to close friends he spoke of being not allowed to even get in the Albert Means home,due to Bammer had locked the situation up,to the tune of $250,000.

Truth was the Neans kid was asking Thompson the entire time about Tennessee and was told “they’re not interested”. Means never became the player he could have been for several reasons. One was the young man wasn’t able to choose his future himself.

Everyone down there blames him for them getting sanctions but deep down I think it's simply because he turned down an offer from Coach Bear Bryant to play there, whipped them when he was team captain for the Vols and whipped em regularly as head coach to the tune of 11-6 winning 9 in a row at one time!! Those stats may not be exact but the bottom line is that CPF knows how to beat Alabama and I believe it happens sometime with he and Coach Pruitt at the helm. I bet they both are lying awake right now trying to figure it out!! If we could ever win a game and break the Bama stranglehold on college football this Saturday would be perfect!! I bet the UT trainers pack cigars just in case!
Buck Fama, those cheating commie ba$[@rds!!
Maybe your best post ever.

Reactions: LibertyVol
And all these years later, Bama is still buying players.

They should love Phil Fulmer. His actions directly led Alabama boosters to be much more discrete about their payments to players and coaches. And look what they’ve accomplished since then.

Because Bama is a bunch of Sore Losers who got there tails handed to them by phil. I'm not the biggest Phillip fan in the world because when he was on during a game he was on he was gonna beat the crap out of whoever he was playing but when his plan wasn't working he couldn't adjust or wouldn't adjust. He just had really good coaches under him that could recruit and coach/teach he had the best of the best in players.

At this point, it's not worth hating Fulmer. He did way more damage to Tennessee than he could have dreamt of doing to Alabama.
That’s a dumb comment. He left the cupboard bare but had the #7 class coming in the season he was fired including Taj Boyd who got the Clemson train started. Also during his short tenure as AD almost every sport including football is trending upward. He unified the athletic and academic departments. And he brought calm and respectability back to a program that was in turmoil 2 years ago. At the end of the day, he owned Bama fans and lived rent free in their heads for years. Even with all of the vehicles bought and traded in for championships, Gumps like you still seem to feel the need to populate a Tennessee board with your hot garbage

This was a good post. It was an Alabama booster named Logan Young who paid the $200K to Memphis Trezevant High School head coach Lynn Lang for Albert Means to sign with Alabama. One of his assistants, Milton Kirk, was upset that he didn't get a cut of the take and he went public with information about the payment. Fulmer was one of several coaches who consulted with the NCAA on the matter. Fulmer also spoke to the FBI. Other SEC coaches including Houston Nutt of Arkansas and Steve Spurrier, who publicly announced, without being prompted that "I won't be surprised if Alabama goes on probation."

However, it is only Fulmer that Alabama fans have ever blamed for their probation and ongoing issues with the NCAA in the early 2000's. There is never any accountability placed on Mike DuBose or acceptance of responsibility for their actions... or that if they hadn't cheated in the first place, then there would have been nothing to turn them in over. They have simply chosen to vilify Fulmer for their probation.

Now, having said that, I didn't think this was still lingering. Their dominance of college football the last 10 years has softened the hearts of most of their fans. I don't doubt there are some idiots still posting about "Phil" on their message boards, though.

Appreciate this post, just scrolled so there's probably other accurate ones, also.

Not sure why so many UT fans say Phil "spearheaded" or "lead the charge". That's the Bama butthurt version, not the reality.

Pretty sure it has something to do with Fulmer turning them in for cheating. Some player out of the Memphis area if I remember correctly. Albert Means I think was his name???

Fulmer was one of 6 schools that turned them in that year. One other coach was Spurrier. Another one was the coach at Michigan State.

At this point, it's not worth hating Fulmer. He did way more damage to Tennessee than he could have dreamt of doing to Alabama.
Ummm he was 11-5 against the Alabama, set them back a few years by providing info about the violations, and won a National Championship. The failures of Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and the people who hired them have nothing to do with Phillip Fulmer.

This is the dumbest thing you've ever said on this board.

Reactions: LibertyVol and AM64
Ummm he was 11-5 against the Alabama, set them back a few years by providing info about the violations, and won a National Championship. The failures of Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and the people who hired them have nothing to do with Phillip Fulmer.

This is the dumbest thing you've ever said on this board.

How has everything gone for both programs since Phil sat down with Indianapolis? Before calling a statement "dumb" you may want to think about it for a moment.

Fulmer was a witness in the NCAA case against Alabama, in which they paid 200,000 dollars for the services of one Albert Means. He also convinced others to participate in the case, motivated in part I'm sure by the frustration of dealing with Bama handing out six figure bags to sign kids in his own state among other things. Anyway, the NCAA's case against Alabama hammered them hard. The NCAA's judgment got some of Tide boosters banned, put others put under a microscope, and generally impacted their all-around ability to hand out bags to up and coming recruits. Not to mention being bowl banned for half a decade. So, in short, they flashed stupidly big money and got all butthurt when they got caught. I mean big money. Do kids get paid? I'm sure. Do they get paid so blatantly? No, and the NCAA said no too.

Normally this isn't something us private citizens find out about, but because the FBI got involved, it became a public record and thus those morons found out Fulmer was a key part of the investigation's evidence. They have hated him ever since -- well that and whippin'em for a decade. They hated him so much some Bammers hired PIs just to investigate everything about Fulmer in the years that followed, trying to pin anything and everything on him.

Add to that Finebaum fanning the flames by having a douchebag attorney on his show regularly saying they had audio proof (a taped conversation) that Fulmer conspired to produce the "fabricated" evidence against Bama. Finebaum said he had heard the tape and was going to make it public. But, it never happened, probably because it didn't exist. Bama inbreds still believe Fulmer orchestrated the entire scandal, and Finebaum grew his audience because of it.

Add to that Finebaum fanning the flames by having a douchebag attorney on his show regularly saying they had audio proof (a taped conversation) that Fulmer conspired to produce the "fabricated" evidence against Bama. Finebaum said he had heard the tape and was going to make it public. But, it never happened, probably because it didn't exist. Bama inbreds still believe Fulmer orchestrated the entire scandal, and Finebaum grew his audience because of it.

Yeah, Finebaum pretty much sold his you know what for $$$ in the whole affair. Is now a bammer schill with zero integrity. Hope it was worth it to him.

Appreciate this post, just scrolled so there's probably other accurate ones, also.

Not sure why so many UT fans say Phil "spearheaded" or "lead the charge". That's the Bama butthurt version, not the reality.

Exactly. Spurrier & Houston Nutt complained also as did other coaches. Plus, since when did SEC listen to Tennessee? It was back when Kramer was commissioner. Slive and Goofy Greg couldn’t care less about Tennessee

VN Store

Back