Can someone explain how recruits drop or rise in the offseason?

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
This has baffled me for awhile. We see recruits rankings rise or fall in the offseason when these kids aren't playing. How and why is that? I can understand during the preseason or season. If they struggle or play great then the jumps or drops are warranted. But when no football is being played? I just dont get it.

I think they only do updates at certain times. Now that the '20 class is done they're focus shifts to the next class. I'm assuming it's mostly being based on their JR film

I doubt it's so much "recruits" who do the jumping or falling, as much as it is the "evaluators". It's a gigantically flawed "science" that identifies a HS junior CB from Virginia is a 3* while another CB from California is a 4*.

just cause........keeps them in business...............or they would be more irrelevant than their arbitrary prognostications and guesses currently are except to fans........

Reactions: Exiled
I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.

giphy.gif

Perhaps the bank accounts of the evaluators receives a bump from certain schools to change minds

That is when lots of the film is evaluated, especially for the Junior class. Then later in Summer you also have in-person evals across camps.

Injuries and camp exposure would be two that come to mind.

If they commit to a program early this can sometimes allow them to languish at the same rating or drop compared to others.

Camps. If you don't go, you don't get "evaluated" and others that do jump you. It is basically pay for ratings. Sleezy.
IMO....that's crap. I was speaking to an ex-NFL coach a while back. He told me that the combine and pro-days (kinda similar to HS camps) are only about 10% of what he looked at when evaluating a player....unless said player is from a small school, where he doesn't play against great competition. Game film is what is important. If a player doesn't jump out in person or on film, he's not worth taking....(Grimes)

I don't judge a golfer on what he does on the range, with a perfect lie on flat ground. Let's see what he does when he sticks the tee in the ground, with cash on the line and 15 mph winds.

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
This has baffled me for awhile. We see recruits rankings rise or fall in the offseason when these kids aren't playing. How and why is that? I can understand during the preseason or season. If they struggle or play great then the jumps or drops are warranted. But when no football is being played? I just dont get it.

Camps are a big one. Also, more tape becomes available and more evaluation is done. And certainly generating site traffic (i.e money) is another big factor.

Basically I stole everyone's ideas from above my posts.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Its like Harrison Bailey going from 4 to 5 star w Rivals I believe? Rivals shows us having 1 5 star player and I assume its Bailey. Anyway...the weird thing is ESPN/SEC network (same company) having us at #19 and Rivals has us at #7. That's a HUGE discrepancy. The "ESPN hates us" thing appears to have merit. Although they were the only ones who had Trey Smith as top recruit in nation. Nothing makes sense.

VN Store

Back