Can anyone else see ZZ developing exactly like Jordan Bone?

Vols till I fall

He goes coast to coast, has developed a misdirection game and is super fast!

Not too mention he's hitting from beyond the arc

I don’t think he has the speed Bone, Bone was like world class speed on the court.

With that said, I think ZZ is well ahead in all other areas. After that 1.5 horrible game stretch. ZZ has been about as good as a college PG could possibly be.

He is getting better at finding paths to the basket. I love seeing when 5’8” ZZ zips through a bunch of trees and puts the ball up high on the board for 2. Brings a smile to my face every single time.

I believe that ZZ could guard Bone; I do not believe that Bone could guard ZZ. Of course I’m also assuming this team’s help defense.

Reactions: feathersax
I think he could be a great player, but he and Bone are very different. Bone was the fastest guy on the court and a great midrange guy. In that 31 win year, he was amazing at pulling up midrange and dropping those easy buckets. ZZ has the talent to be just as good if not better at shooting threes and facilitating, but it doesn't seem like the pullup midrange jumper is as big a part of his game.

Bone was a great player, but took a while before becoming an real offensive threat going to the rim. And even then he was too fast for his own good at times and would occassionly jump up with out any plan of what he wanted to do.

For ZZ, he is fairly sound at everything outside of what his height limits him too. Great ball handler. Good 3 point shooter. Stout defender. Decent ability to get to the rim. Finds his teammates and has plenty of assists.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Maybe he wasn’t meeting the minimum requirements in the classroom and didn’t have much choice.

Maybe, but most likely not. I remember him mentioning that he wanted to be compensated abd get the clock starting on his career even if it meant playing in the G League. In today's NIL world, I'm guessing he stays one more year.

Maybe, but most likely not. I remember him mentioning that he wanted to be compensated abd get the clock starting on his career even if it meant playing in the G League. In today's NIL world, I'm guessing he stays one more year.

I thought that he wasn’t going to be eligible if he came back unless he had an extremely productive summer session. Maybe I’m not remembering it correctly. A lot of times players check out of their classroom work in the semester starting in January if they don’t plan on returning for the next basketball season.

ZZ is already better than Bone in my opinion. Clearly a better defender and perimeter shooter, better going to rim despite his size and slowly becoming comparable facilitator. Bone had better midrange, was speedy end to end and was steady, but ZZ is a difference maker that Bone never was and is tough as nails. I think the biggest question for ZZ is what is his ceiling at the collegiate level? Maybe a floater in lane and tighten up his handle a bit. We got him for two more years which is going to be a nightmare for opposing SEC teams.

We still may need to find perhaps 2 more players for next years roster. Another PG to pair with ZZ (would we make another run at Collins?) and another frontcourt player would be ideal. 3 if Phillips goes pro (which I hope he doesn’t). Assuming Nkamhoua, Plavsic, Vescovi, Key and James are all gone.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12

8.5 assists/game is a ridiculous stat for college. For comparison (I know this is 1 month of work for ZZ compared to the entire year) only 3 NBA players exceed that number right now:
1. Tyrese Haliburton 10.2/gm
2. Trae Young 9.9/gm
3. Nikola Jokic 9.9/gm

Reactions: SGidds
Bone played at the speed of light. My only complaint about Zeigler (and the other guards for that matter) is that he doesnt do a great job pushing tempo.

Bone was 6’-3.5” with a 42.5” vertical at the combine with record setting speed in the running drills. Not really a good comparison for ZZZ as Bone could play above the rim.

ZZ is more controlled speed and very physical on defense for his size. Bone was faster ZZ is better. If he keeps playing at his current pace he will light up the national honors at the end of the season.

Bone was 6’-3.5” with a 42.5” vertical at the combine with record setting speed in the running drills. Not really a good comparison for ZZZ as Bone could play above the rim.
I think recency bias is taking charge. Bone would become one of the nation’s best and most electric point guards his junior year. ZZ is a way different player and does other things well, but I can’t compare him to Bone in his junior year….yet.

Reactions: walkenvol
I was thinking that was exactly how ZZ was going to develop!

Bone had elite court vision and passing ability. There was at least one time a game we would run an alley oop and he would be passing the ball 35-40ft away from the basket on point. It also seemed like he was in complete control of the game and knew when to speed up or slow down. Barnes was extremely hard on him because he knew how great of a PG he could be. Probably the best PG he’s had since TJ Ford and he’s had some good ones.

VN Store

Back