California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism

Is this a trick question? He's a psychopath, so yeah, he would lie. He should say what Duke offered him, if they did. And maybe they did 20 years ago, or whenever he came out of HS, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong about the way it works now.
😂

What people forget is that the football players (as well as many other athletes) are being paid. I will use Stanford as an example sense it is in California. It costs $75,000 per year to go to Stanford. Let’s say an athlete spends 20 hours a week every week for a year. That is basically 1,000 hours of work a year. So a Stanford football player is making $75 an hour. This does not include the cost of the benefits they get which are far above what other students get.

The per hour figure would vary greatly across the country but to say athletes are not getting paid is totally inaccurate.
Then why aren’t the coaches paid with tuition/scholarships? Both groups are adults. It’s amazing to me the number of people who are pro capitalism and think it’s some how reasonable.

Starting in 2023, recruits will be flocking to UCLA, USC, and other California colleges. Will this be the end of all of the 543 star recruits for the SEC?? Due to the players getting paid??

Players have been getting paid here and every other major program for decades. You think making it legal is going to stop payments under the table?

Reactions: McDad
Starting in 2023, recruits will be flocking to UCLA, USC, and other California colleges. Will this be the end of all of the 543 star recruits for the SEC?? Due to the players getting paid??
The down side to this, the NCAA has said, they will not be eligible for any bowl games. I'll be curious to see how this works itself out.

The down side to this, the NCAA has said, they will not be eligible for any bowl games. I'll be curious to see how this works itself out.
Yep. They will not be NCAA athletes then. California will have its own league then.

Edit: if passed, do not believe the schools could be part of the NCAA. Would change the whole college football landscape, but think this would be the beginning of the end of the NCAA.

That will be the beginning of the end of college football and amateur sports in general. They will not be paying more than Alabama in any case.

Reactions: Sara Clark
New York is already preparing similar legislation. NCAA is fighting a losing/stupid battle.

Lots to take in here....I've long advocated for a semi pro league like baseball has because I simply don't think someone should have to go the college route if their only goal is to play football professionally...that said if you take the big money out of the colleges then all the non revenue producing sports will suffer or be eliminated. With the transfer portal and the under the table payouts I'm tempted to just say the hell with it..blow the whole thing up. Could FBS college football survive and be as popular with players who are D2 level talent if the 345 stars go the semi pro route?

They're about to drop a bill in the Georgia legislature...

Bill seeks to pay college athletes in Georgia

This would mark the end of college sports. Too bad. Should have limited the amount college coaches can be paid to protect the sport. Once those guys start knocking down 90 million dollar contracts of course the players get restless. The whole thing will come crashing down on their heads very soon.

Reactions: hog88
This would mark the end of college sports. Too bad. Should have limited the amount college coaches can be paid to protect the sport. Once those guys start knocking down 90 million dollar contracts of course the players get restless. The whole thing will come crashing down on their heads very soon.

I agree, college athletics as we know it will cease to exist within the next 10-15 years.

Part of the difficulty with new laws is implementation. Fortunately for Alabama, they will have the process down long before the legislation is passed.

Student athletes are already paid. They receive room, board, an education, professional training developing them for a playing career if they're elite, and a crap ton of marketing and PR.

Colleges should indemnify their health against injury and disability, and provide a monthly stipend while school is in session.

VN Store

Back