California Lawmakers Vote to Undo N.C.A.A. Amateurism

I'm torn. I don't think a free education is chicken feed, but non-athletes that receive full-ride scholarships don't have to worry about concussions, broken bones, etc...

Reactions: NM4VOLS
NCAA will cave on this, the state will sue NCAA and its a battle the NCAA cannot win.

It makes sense for the players to get a cut

How much of a cut? What happens when Billionaire UCLA alum who owns Business X wants the next 5 star running back to be the face of his business for 3-4 years and will pay him $1 million a year while in school? Can’t really compete with that .

They have to cap this in some sort of way.

Reactions: thehill98
Why doesn't California ban all salary caps in pro sports also? Doesn't that limit what professional athletes can earn?

College sports and the NCAA are voluntary organizations. Don't like the rules, don't play.

Maybe California doesn't like the limit of 85 scholarships in football or the all of the rules during recruiting. Or they think when a offensive team fumbles the ball through endzone, the defense shouldn't get the ball as that's too severe for a simple mistake. Can they legislate the touchback rule out of the game also?

Why doesn't California ban all salary caps in pro sports also? Doesn't that limit what professional athletes can earn?

College sports and the NCAA are voluntary organizations. Don't like the rules, don't play.

Maybe California doesn't like the limit of 85 scholarships in football or the all of the rules during recruiting. Or they think when a offensive team fumbles the ball through endzone, the defense shouldn't get the ball as that's too severe for a simple mistake. Can they legislate the touchback rule out of the game also?

The NCAA is in violation of countless statutes as pertains to anti-trust, employment, labor, black listing, organization crime, etc. laws at the federal level and most probably at most state levels. I mean they do it in the open.

Professional leagues generally have anti-trust exemptions, of course, colleges sports isn't a business so why would they need an anti-trust exemption(?), if they ask for anti-trust exemptions, well, they cooked the goose as far as employment and labors laws than. The problem is what they are doing is contrary to the laws of all the States of the Union and at the Federal level, generally speaking. As far as I am concern, all California really needs to do is start indictment processes, no additional legislation is really needed, imo. I said a few years ago, if DOJ doesn't go after these people, eventually a State will, maybe someone in California will realize no additional legislation is needed. I mean parents have probably been paying off schools to admit their kids for decades, well, nobody ever thinks they will be the first to get indicted. (nobody thinks they are going to get caught especially when its been going on for decades)

Long/medium term its hard to see an easy out for the schools and NCAA, as I mentioned a few years back, they need to prepare for that future.... although it might take quite a few more years. I would think the NCAA removing California schools from the association would actually be view rather harshly at the federal court level, see article.

In theory, what they could start doing is paying players as employees/contractors (of course, at that point the player can get money from any source, generally speaking) and than ask for anti-trust exemption, but than they are admitting what they have is a business. At that point, why have them even go to school?

California Vote Gives NCAA A Choice: Allow Athlete Endorsements Or Risk Annihilation By Antitrust Law

College sports and the NCAA are voluntary organizations.

Technically any job your sign up for is voluntary, just because you can quit doesn't mean large associations/businesses can just do whatever they want - like restrict trade.

If the school has an issue with certain outside interest you might have as an athlete, there probably wouldn't be anything wrong with that generally, the problem is.... when the schools get together and determine what everyone can and can't get i.e. collusion, imo, racketeering, imo, anti-trust, imo. If its just a school activity, not sure why each school would care what money I get from outside sources...... well, of course, because it damages their business model margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatorsec
And they charge for admission to high school games so why not pay them too?

Actually, they are taking it from a different angle... don't interfere with kids trying to make a buck. If this was the oil industry (instead of the NCAA/colleges), lots of people would have been indicted long ago. Literally, I don't know why additional legislation is even needed, everything they need to get the NCAA moving is already in place - all California needs to do is enforce existing law, but this might make it easier to go through the courts, I guess.

If its simply a student activity, stop interfering with their ability to make money, like a normal student. If a particular school has requirements (although I'm not sure whether this legislation does that), I'm not sure I would have issue with that... as long as they are not colluding with other schools to impose a broad restriction together i.e. NCAA. Seems pretty simple... if not for the colleges/ncaa damaging their money making scheme it would be simple.

Let's be clear... the NCAA doesn't have an issue with using students images/likenesses for money... they just want all the money see O'Bannon case.

Last edited:
Reactions: hog88
If players could get paid for their likeness, autographs, appearances, etc, what do you all think should be the process? Would it be completely unrestricted, or would their be a cap?

Ahh California... The beacon of capitalism

The fact that they use Bernie and LeBron tweets showing support for this bill tells me all i need to know. 2 people who don’t know **** about economics.

Reactions: Volfan76
Ahh California... The beacon of capitalism

The fact that they use Bernie and LeBron tweets showing support for this bill tells me all i need to know. 2 people who don’t know **** about economics.

California is now the world’s fifth-largest economy, they beat out untied kingdom but hey what do they know about economics

Reactions: Sin City Vol
If players could get paid for their likeness, autographs, appearances, etc, what do you all think should be the process? Would it be completely unrestricted, or would their be a cap?
Agreed. Is it a flat pay? Do the QB's get more? Do the *'s get more? Do they still get free everything? Do they pay half their tuition? Do they pay all of it including meals and flights.

Just not a good idea.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
California is now the world’s fifth-largest economy, they beat out untied kingdom but hey what do they know about economics

Sorry I brought politics into it . That’s on me. No need to further the discussion and go down that rabbit hole in this particular forum

You are right. Female athletes should demand equal pay. I always thought that the concussion issues would kill football but it appears I underestimated California.

We can’t make the CFP. Oh here’s an idea .

Title IX might have something to say about all of this .

I don't think Title IX would be affected. The schools aren't paying anything. Nothing would change on their end with regards to the proposed legislation I believe.

It's just saying players can sell themselves. Autograph sessions, pictures, commercials, sign clothing deals, ect. They're paid whatever someone is willing to pay them for their autograph ect. Not school money.

If a girls volleyball player wants to try commercials she can. If the starting qb wants to try commercials he can. What they're paid is determined by whoever hires them.

It's just an easy way for football/basketball programs to buy athletes. I doubt most schools really like the idea because they'll be priced out of the good talent.

Last edited:
I'm torn. I don't think a free education is chicken feed, but non-athletes that receive full-ride scholarships don't have to worry about concussions, broken bones, etc...
Well if they work hard an meet the qualifications for those non athletic scholarships they can use that. If not they best be using what they have.

You are right. Female athletes should demand equal pay. I always thought that the concussion issues would kill football but it appears I underestimated California.
How can you pay a Female discus athlete the same as someone playing football?

VN Store

Back