California governor signs image and likeness bill

just wait until the women's vollyball team is screaming about not making as much as the men's football team....

goodluck with that can of worms, california.

Reactions: MocVol
My understanding of the law is it still prohibits schools from paying players. You cannot give them gate receipts or bowl money. This is about allowing students to sell their likeness. So lets say Jimmy Haslam wants to help UT land some big recruits. He says "Sign with Tennessee and I'll pay you $1,000,000 as an advertising advance for Pilot Gas stations." And with this law there is nothing to prohibit him from offering this to any 5 star recruit he wants. And of course nothing would prevent boosters at other schools from doing the same. I understand it is fair to allow a student to make money off their success in football. But this will drastically change the college football landscape. This is literally about buying championships. There is a reason the NFL put in the salary cap.

just wait until the women's vollyball team is screaming about not making as much as the men's football team....

goodluck with that can of worms, california.
But there is nothing in the law preventing the womens volleyball players from earning what the men earn. This law does not allow schools to pay atheletes, it allows prohibits schools or the NCAA from limiting a student from competing who is paid for their likeness. If a car dealer wants to pay the volleyball team to appear in a commercial this law allows that. Of course I think we all know what will really happen. Big boosters will pay big dollars to 5 star football and basketball players to come to their schools. Then the question is would congress step in and change title 9 to address the discrepency? Who knows.

The coaches, universities, conferences, sponsors and media are all raking in cash hand over fist. The NFL gets free player development and player promotion. The athletes absolutely deserve a cut, especially when they're forced to play in the NCAA for 3 years before they can actually profit off of their craft. There is also the potential for athletes with an NFL future that end up with career shortening or even career ending injuries.

The only reason the NCAA fights players being able to profit off of their license is because it would kill their tax exempt status. FBS football is a free farm system for the NFL. The idea this is amateur athletics is laughable at this point.

Reactions: VolRoger
Dumbest idea ever.......although it will happen before too long.

1. As soon as you pay “some” excitement will go away as well.........not to mention the parity.

2. As soon as legit $ starts floating around parity will diminish quickly. The “dollar” players will want to follow the money. They will go where the $ is, where they can been seen the most and make the most.

3. What about everyone else? We say they deserve $ because the schools and NCAA is making so much off of them. Well what about the 3rd string guys......what about D2 guys, what about women’s volleyball? These people have to work just as hard and ALREADY receive less than the $ football player.

4. The players know coming in what they get, what they don’t, and they decide “yea that’s fine”........if they are willing to agree what’s the problem.

I mean they already get free school, free housing, free food, free snacks, free healthcare, they get free money every month, and they get some free money on every road game. They get free clothes, they get free entertainment.

Everybody wants something and everybody wants more now days.

If it could be done for ALL, and distributed equally.......I say go for it......it can’t be and never would be.....heck no.......get them to change the pro eligibility rule before you pay

Reactions: 08Vol and Voltopia
We've been the doormat of the SEC the past 10years. We need a major change to get us going again and if paying players helps, I'm all for it. UT needs to be proactive and paying players is gonna happen sooner rather than later, UT needs to figure out a way to use it to their advantage.

Do you honestly think UT hasn't been paying players?

Every major program pays recruits. It's been that way for decades.

Reactions: Devo182 and 08Vol
I think this is a great idea. Why can't someone make money for their own image?

If someone wants to use your likeness in video games etc, they should pay for it.

Reactions: The Ron Mexico
So don't pay the general population of athletes, but pay the ones that make it to the bowls? I don't get this logic. There are GREAT players across the nation that gives their "all" to whatever university they are part of but they shouldn't get a cut because their team couldn't make a bowl?

I have mixed feelings about the whole deal but I cant say I am against a player getting a piece of the pie when others are profiting from their names.
It's called incentive.

But there is nothing in the law preventing the womens volleyball players from earning what the men earn. This law does not allow schools to pay atheletes, it allows prohibits schools or the NCAA from limiting a student from competing who is paid for their likeness. If a car dealer wants to pay the volleyball team to appear in a commercial this law allows that. Of course I think we all know what will really happen. Big boosters will pay big dollars to 5 star football and basketball players to come to their schools. Then the question is would congress step in and change title 9 to address the discrepency? Who knows.

Equality of opportunity has never been the game.

Equality of outcome is what it’s all about.

If this spreads, I think it will be detrimental to the sport, but at least interesting to watch. For a school like us, it would probably be beneficial. It's going to be wildly abused, and a school like UT with major boosters who has been in a down cycle would likely pay big money for "endorsements" and the like to sign top 10 classes. I still think it would be a disaster long run. I realize the school can't directly pay, but if the bagmen and boosters no longer have to operate in the shadows, why not go all out and get your money's worth to ensure those 4 and 5 star recruits come to your school of choice?

If this passed in all 50 states, this would be the end of college football as we know. The schools with the most revenue or richest boosters would essentially spend their way into a championship.

Similar to what the NFL would be without the salary cap. Jerry Jones would just try and buy a Super bowl if he could.

Although this strategy doesn't always work, see Steinbrenner form the Yankees. MLB has no cap.

If this passed in all 50 states, this would be the end of college football as we know. The schools with the most revenue or richest boosters would essentially spend their way into a championship.

Similar to what the NFL would be without the salary cap. Jerry Jones would just try and buy a Super bowl if he could.

Although this strategy doesn't always work, see Steinbrenner form the Yankees. MLB has no cap.

exactly this.

not to mention everyone that loves the march madness games were the little guy can go deep in the tourney and pull some upsets will be pretty much gone as well.

The coaches, universities, conferences, sponsors and media are all raking in cash hand over fist. The NFL gets free player development and player promotion. The athletes absolutely deserve a cut, especially when they're forced to play in the NCAA for 3 years before they can actually profit off of their craft. There is also the potential for athletes with an NFL future that end up with career shortening or even career ending injuries.

The only reason the NCAA fights players being able to profit off of their license is because it would kill their tax exempt status. FBS football is a free farm system for the NFL. The idea this is amateur athletics is laughable at this point.

I also find it laughable to assume people care about the names on the back of the jersey more than the one on the front. The big name players in college football are only big because of the university. National audiences didn’t want their jersey when they were in high school.

The problem the Universities have with all of this is they receive a reduction in revenue. If they have to split the bowl revenue and the SEC/TV contract money plus the jersey sales from the bookstore among 85 kids (or so), that's a whole lotta money and they are going to miss that. No way any school is for this!
If you read the information on the bill, it does still does NOT allow schools to pay the athletes directly. They will strictly be allowed to make money off of their names and likenesses.. No one said anything about splitting bowl revenue or anything like that

If the USA could give California to Mexico, it would increase the IQ of both countries (but not that much for Mexico.)

What is the best way to get rid of 5 million Republicans? Give California to Mexico. Sorry if that upsets your world view that every thing is black and white.

VN Store

Back