California governor signs image and likeness bill

Getting paid for your likeness is fine. Hell, if your school can afford it, go ahead and pay the players straight up.

Honestly, I don’t care. If it’s doable and you are so inclined, pay them. If not, suffer a competitive disadvantage.

We’re paying them both legally (tuition) and illegally anyway. Just make it official.

We've been the doormat of the SEC the past 10years. We need a major change to get us going again and if paying players helps, I'm all for it. UT needs to be proactive and paying players is gonna happen sooner rather than later, UT needs to figure out a way to use it to their advantage.
Because no one else is going to pay as much as us?lol this just makes divide larger and we're on wrong side

Reactions: 08Vol
Only problem is, I think it would open the floodgates to massive cheating on an unprecedented scale. It would give outlaw programs a million new creative ways to skirt the system with almost no worries about getting caught.

Reactions: Doberman and hmhawk
With the new law allowing athletes to get paid will high players start flooding the the California colleges and take away big time recruits from Alabama Clemson Ohio St Georgia among others now

Hard to say for sure... the ones who can get Nike contracts... maybe so. For everyone else I don't think it'll matter much. They're already well taken care of.

With the new law allowing athletes to get paid will high players start flooding the the California colleges and take away big time recruits from Alabama Clemson Ohio St Georgia among others now

No.
The big-time recruits were already getting paid anyway.
And getting developed to make real money! (NFL)

Reactions: 08Vol
The NCAA is nonprofit. The whole "NCAA is getting rich off the backs of poor athletes" is a false narrative.

Oh really? Article from 2010.

Pay for Top 14 NCAA Executives Totaled Nearly $6-Million Last Year

Mr. Brand took home $1,710,095 in total compensation in 2007-8, including $815,000 in retirement pay that was deferred from previous years.

Other highly paid executives last year were Thomas W. Jernstedt, the former executive vice president who announced his departure last month after 38 years at the association ($604,679); Bernard W. Franklin, executive vice president for membership and student-athlete affairs ($509,429); and James L. Isch, the former chief financial officer and NCAA interim president who was recently named its chief operating officer ($467,734).

Reactions: hmhawk
Only problem is, I think it would open the floodgates to massive cheating on an unprecedented scale. It would give outlaw programs a million new creative ways to skirt the system with almost no worries about getting caught.
Yep. Where does it end.

Money cap?

Possibly a draft?

5* get paid more than 3*?

QB get paid more than a kicker?

Are you going to pay a lady throwing discus the same as a 5* QB?

I don't think it will matter at all. They always wanna be the leader, blah, blah. blah the ground breaker. Seems the teams are nothing to write home about. All the illegal stuff going on out there nothing surprises me. Anyone that has spent a lot of time in the state and has witnessed the changes through the years, it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Years ago a lot nicer and less crowded.

Could have been avoided if schools had not gotten into milking players for profit to begin with. Don't blame the players, blame university greed that started the mess.

Not illegal, just against NCAA rules. NCAA has been meeting trying to decide what to do on their part.
Again, the school will not be paying the athletes, outside sources will be paying for their endorsements, likeness, etc..
I would think this would help schools from large metro areas like New York, Chicago, LA but smaller areas will have trouble competing for the top athletes.

I’m legitimately curious, as I’m not familiar with the law, what makes it illegal?
Just by the way the NCAA is currently setup. If any state wants to open this can of worms they need to go through the NCAA first.

No different than the NCAA coming after USC and Reggie Bush for being paid.

I have pondered this question also and am intrigued. I do not think tuition, room and board and meals covers some of the higher quality athletes values. But, the question I have is how do you make it fair? Some players are going to be higher valued and the both the Universities and NCAA are literally garnering profit off of them. There needs to be some system for it to be fair for all. If, and I do mean IF, California does go through with this AND the Universities out there conform, the NCAA will kick them out!

But, what the lawmakers in California are doing is giving the NCAA four years to figure it out. That is how I am reading it.

Fair? Life isn't fair and neither is marketing.

California has already passed it and governor has signed it into law a couple days ago. NCAA can tell their members not to play California schools or they can change their rules.

Imagine a world where, upon signing their Oregon LOI, a new Ducks player gets anywhere from 25,000-100,000 a year in "endorsement" money from Nike -- maybe even more. Imagine a world where the "Louisiana Automotive Sales Group" gives every LSU signee a nice fat payday for a handful of car endorsement deals done each spring.

I lived in California for a long time. That state is not gifted with common sense. Nor does it care about working well with others. It just wants to tell everyone what to do. They love getting to act like they're "leading the way." They love being on camera. The ramifications of their actions don't matter, as long as they're the ones getting to do it and they get to tell you over and over about how they did it.

Last edited:
No issues with them getting paid.

How about freeing up their scholarships then for kids who actually go to college to get a degree?

Reactions: tbh and 08Vol
That doesn't even make sense. You going to pay a QB 20M over four seasons?

Unless I'm mistaken, the law only states you get paid for your likeness, not that you get paid for participation. Therefore, you're worth us determined by how much someone is willing to pay you, meaning whatever you get from photo ops, t shirts, jersey sales, etc.

I think paying athletes could be a big problem. However, I think it would be interesting to give the players a cut of the Bowl game payouts.

So don't pay the general population of athletes, but pay the ones that make it to the bowls? I don't get this logic. There are GREAT players across the nation that gives their "all" to whatever university they are part of but they shouldn't get a cut because their team couldn't make a bowl?

I have mixed feelings about the whole deal but I cant say I am against a player getting a piece of the pie when others are profiting from their names.

VN Store

Back