California governor signs image and likeness bill

Raebo

How about a different topic that will have a major impact on college football.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. California has passed a bill that starting in 2023 athletes can have agents, get paid for endorsements or for having their likeness used. They will not be paid by their university to play though. Of course this violates NCAA rules and it can have a major impact on college sports. Do you want the NCAA to change their rules? Some other states might adopt this law also. If the NCAA and states don’t change, will the top athletes go to California? If the NCAA does change, will all the top athletes go to a select few schools where they can get big endorsements? It will be interesting in how this plays out.

Reactions: RollerVol
I have no problem with it. A musician on scholarship at UT can make money with their craft outside of the University. I am paying a student now to teach my kid the Cello who is on full scholarship. Let athletes make money the same way. As long as it is not the school itself paying them I still think you could call it amateur.

I have pondered this question also and am intrigued. I do not think tuition, room and board and meals covers some of the higher quality athletes values. But, the question I have is how do you make it fair? Some players are going to be higher valued and the both the Universities and NCAA are literally garnering profit off of them. There needs to be some system for it to be fair for all. If, and I do mean IF, California does go through with this AND the Universities out there conform, the NCAA will kick them out!

But, what the lawmakers in California are doing is giving the NCAA four years to figure it out. That is how I am reading it.

Reactions: white65
I think paying athletes could be a big problem. However, I think it would be interesting to give the players a cut of the Bowl game payouts.

Reactions: TMvol10
The problem the Universities have with all of this is they receive a reduction in revenue. If they have to split the bowl revenue and the SEC/TV contract money plus the jersey sales from the bookstore among 85 kids (or so), that's a whole lotta money and they are going to miss that. No way any school is for this!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I think that is a valid point and is the reason the school should never be involved anymore then they currently are. But if EA Sports wants to pay Trevor Lawrence to put his pic on the cover of the new NCAA college football video game who cares?

Its gonna be awesome when these kids learn about taxes. Pretty interesting that pro athletes have to pay taxes in every state they play in. Im not sure if that will effect income through endorsements and such. Will also be interesting to see how this effects stipends and such.

This will absolutely destroy college football. It basically legalizing cheating.

So, I am a southern California auto dealer who happens to be a huge UCLA booster. I can't pay you to go to UCLA, but I can pay you all I want to do commercials for my car dealership? That's laughable.

At least it will be much less bothersome for me that Tennessee is no longer relevant in the game, because I will have no interest in the game.

this isn't about fairness...it's about not having your best players leave the state and hopefully lure other out-of-state 5/4 star players to get in on some of that good money...I'm dying to see what the NCAA says/does about it...this should be good...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

You should pay athletes for use of their likeness. That's very fair.

Honestly, the NCAA should be non profit and should split all of its profit with all the schools to use to give more aid to other sports or to donate to the academic side to make post-secondary education more affordable. That way you skip the "pay players" argument in any other context.

So does this mean agents will be involved in the recruiting process now?

It opens Pandora’s Box.

And, it makes it unfair for schools in other states. Kalifornia schools should be excluded from the NCAA if this happens. It is time that the rest of the country impose consequences when the state goes rogue and makes up its own laws that run counter to the rest of the country. IMO, of course.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday signed into law a bill that will make it easier for college athletes in the state to profit from their own name, image and likeness, beginning in 2023.

Newsom’s action seems likely to result in a court fight well before then between the state and the NCAA, whose current rules regarding athletes’ ability to make money off their names, images and likenesses are much more restrictive than California’s will be.

[. . .]

Recruiting battles for top athletes already are taking shape. On one hand, California schools would seem to be headed for an advantage because athletes there would be able to get significant benefit that athletes in other states would not. On the other, schools outside California will be able to tell recruits that they won’t be able to compete for national titles at California schools — or, at minimum, they will be better off if they just avoid the uncertainty and the controversy.

College sports: California governor signs image and likeness bill

I don't really mind players getting a cut of the action from outside sources as long as it is regulated and reported. Let the kids make money like literally any other student on campus can. They've worked hard and put their bodies at risk. They're just kids and many of them could use extra income.

But lets be real, if getting personal endorsements from 3rd party sources are what this idea is built around, the amount of "totally real and legitimate" car dealerships, restaurants, insurance agencies, etc. that will pop up from nowhere to give Alabama recruits mega-deals will skyrocket. It's impossible to think that this isn't going to be a wormhole for corruption like we've never seen before.

You should pay athletes for use of their likeness. That's very fair.

Honestly, the NCAA should be non profit and should split all of its profit with all the schools to use to give more aid to other sports or to donate to the academic side to make post-secondary education more affordable. That way you skip the "pay players" argument in any other context.

The NCAA is nonprofit. The whole "NCAA is getting rich off the backs of poor athletes" is a false narrative. The NCAA revenues, apart from those required to support the NCAA itself, do go back into schools and student athletes. As for the schools themselves, only a small percentage of NCAA schools even have an AD that operates in the black. The majority require supplemental funding just to exist. People balk at the notion that, according to Forbes, football team X generated $100 million, when the truth is that $100 million is funding the football team, the baseball team, part of the basketball team, and every other men's and women's sport on campus.

Kinda sad that a law needs passed for someone to earn money in a completely reasonable manner.

How about a different topic that will have a major impact on college football.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. California has passed a bill that starting in 2023 athletes can have agents, get paid for endorsements or for having their likeness used. They will not be paid by their university to play though. Of course this violates NCAA rules and it can have a major impact on college sports. Do you want the NCAA to change their rules? Some other states might adopt this law also. If the NCAA and states don’t change, will the top athletes go to California? If the NCAA does change, will all the top athletes go to a select few schools where they can get big endorsements? It will be interesting in how this plays out.
We've been the doormat of the SEC the past 10years. We need a major change to get us going again and if paying players helps, I'm all for it. UT needs to be proactive and paying players is gonna happen sooner rather than later, UT needs to figure out a way to use it to their advantage.

VN Store

Back