Cal fires Ben Braun

He has come a long way from his days at tiny, and I mean tiny, Siena Heights College. I used to live there in the same town.

hard to know what's realistic and what isn't. guys i'd be happy with in order:

1. dixon from pitts (probably not realistic)
2. mike montgomery (maybe too old, we probably can't afford him)
3. randy bennett from st marys (can definetly get him, not sure if he isn't a ben braun redo though)

I would look at all the Mid-major coaches that are having great years.

There is some great undiscovered coach out there somewhere just waiting. :p

Has the potential to have a lot of prestige; same with the position at Oregon State. Both of these schools need a freakin' coach. If both schools can actually get somebody, I don't see how the Pac-10 isn't immediately the best basketball conference in America.

oregon state can never be a consistant power. corvallis is a hole and they don't have a recruiting base.

oregon state can never be a consistant power. corvallis is a hole and they don't have a recruiting base.
I know Corvallis is a hole, easily the second worst city in the Pac-10 aside from Pullman. And it's really not that bad.

Either way, that only matters in football IMO because of the number of kids you have to get to a location. You're not going to get 20 talented athletes to a city like that. But with basketball, it's a different story entirely. You need a coach with a good system and only a handful of kids every year who are either a good fit for that system, or do have some real physical talent. With the right coach, getting a good mix of local HS talent and some stars from California (or any other pipeline) shouldn't be that hard.

a lot of alumns worry that he doesn't have the right background or attitude to recruit top players in a big conference and they worry about his personality. he's done an amazing job at st mary's of course, so i think he probably would be a good hire.

any thoughts on who cal should hire hat?
Randy Bennett would be good for Cal. Obviously, Mike Montgomery would be a terrific choice, but I'm not sure how badly he really wants to get back into coaching. If he has any interest in the collegiate level, Eric Musselman would be an inspired choice.

current rumor is the frontrunner for the cal job is denver assistant Mike Dunlap. :dunno:

VN Store

Back