Cade Mays waiver denied

Reactions: feathersax
The NCAA bylaw that a student-athlete in Division 1 FBS-level football must sit out for one year if transferring to another institution at the same competition level.

Just to play the devil's advocate, have we been the same competition level as GA. over the last few (like 10-12) years?? If this bylaw holds true, then the interruption is very broad, as has been demonstrated by some of the decisions they have made lately...

I believe the application was for a waiver of that rule. Any idea of the factors they use for waivers and which ones they felt Mays doesn't meet??

Reactions: Purple Tiger
A lot of blame has to lie on UT administration. They acted too slowly to get in the request, now there is little time for appeals processing.

Only took 5+ pages for this to be brought out. The TN Ath. Dept., more specifically Compliance Director Andrew Donovan, dropped the ball big time! While I concur with the vitriol directed at the NCAA, there is equal blame to be cast upon the Tennessee athletic department!

Reactions: 08Vol
I would love to hear a recording of the meeting where this decision was made.No justification for this.Where is the lawyer that was so sure he would be playing because he was representing Cade and his family.NCAA had 0 creds before, now they have minus 0!And Kirby Smart sucks too if he don't help Cade.
View attachment 300639
Was a reason for the denial given? Just curious, this appears really outside the lines. I agree with everyone else, the NCAA is losing credibility by the day.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Only took 5+ pages for this to be brought out. The TN Ath. Dept., more specifically Compliance Director Andrew Donovan, dropped the ball big time! While I concur with the vitriol directed at the NCAA, there is equal blame to be cast upon the Tennessee athletic department!
Can you explain what they did incorrectly?

But....they're workin like heck to get better!

You guys are lost. Tennessee did nothing wrong and it is known all across the industry that they have one of the best compliance programs in the country. Only dipsticks that have no idea how inept the NCAA Eligibility center is would ever make such a comment. This is 100% an NCAA thing.

As opinionated as I am about lawyers, I have been thinking that a law suit should be filed against the NCAA. There are quite a few cases of allowed transfers that they have made that are less reasonable than this one. Just how are these decisions made? Is there a board that decides and based on what. Is there a "set in stone" list of things that must be met to allow or turn down a transfer? Or is it a few employees who make a report to the "czar of transfers" and he/she give a thumbs up or down. What I am asking is who makes the call? As much as I dislike "lawyering up every little thing" I think this situation smacks of a really good law suit...
They've been sued a million times already, it's the main reason they wait until just before the start of the season to hand down these decisions. Apparently they are against in conference transfers between bowl eligible teams. I don't think KY's transfer QB from FL was granted a waiver either. I was berated for suggesting he might not get approved about a month ago. Fans that have never dealt with the NCAA Eligibility center have no clue how all over the place they are in their decisions.

Was a reason for the denial given? Just curious, this appears really outside the lines. I agree with everyone else, the NCAA is losing credibility by the day.

I was surprised when they said he would most likely be eligible this season. I thought transferring to a school in the same conference and same division was made impossible without waiting a year? Why was this transfer considered different?

How about he drops his scholarship and joins as a walk on? Then any number of people could contribute to covering his tuition. He would then be free to put a social justice message on his jersey that says "F@#! the NCAA".
Doesn't matter if he's a walkon or onscholarship, the transfer rule applies to both.

Reactions: 08Vol
He made a true statement. Wake up.

Haha no, despite him trying to make a dumb joke it doesn't even make sense. How would Cade even "play the race card" against the NCAA in which the vast majority of administrators and employees are white? But please do try to keep trying to bring this into a non-related topic.

I actually didn’t realize Newman was a grad transfer, so my mistake there. But there are numerous other examples of players getting immediate eligibility for no apparent reasons, especially QB’s. Tate Martell to Miami, Justin Fields to Ohio State are two of the most well known.
The FL QB to KY transfer waiver was denied as well.

VN Store

Back