Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

This is a situation where NIL gets really interesting and an angle I hadn't considered. Big opportunity here for universities to hang on to studs for an extra season. I think the big guys should pony up 3-400k and he will stay to be with his bro for a year.
Rich people didn't become rich by investing their money in things with this type of ROI.

Rich people didn't become rich by investing their money in things with this type of ROI.
Just curious, where do you think the big $$$ Will Wade is heard talking about offering to an LSU recruit came from? And what do you think the ROI was?

It's been going on for years. Why? Ego, personal insecurity and desire for control.

It's stupid but at least they're being stupid in public now.

Reactions: 08Vol
Go to the NFL Cade. We love that you came back but don't extort us for money.

Edit: don't get me wrong I like Cade but we are not winning the east with or without him next year. If it was Hooker looking for money I might say pay the man because he makes such a huge difference in our team next year. Just my $.02
If you don’t think Cad makes a huge difference you must not have watched the Ole Miss game. The drop off from him to his back up is the biggest drop off on our roster, IMO, besides QB.

Let's see, you can do your job for 1/20th the value in location A (scholarship), or for 20 times the money somewhere else (NFL). Giving location A the opportunity to match the offer is more than generous. Fans see playing for Tennessee as the be all, end all. Players have the next 60 years and generations of their family to think about.
This may be surprising to you. Most people don't start a family until they get out of college duh.

This may be surprising to you. Most people don't start a family until they get out of college duh.
The average life expectancy of an NFL player used to be less than 60 and is reliably less than 70.

It's a brutal game with a very short career expectancy and effects on life expectancy for guys like Cade.

Whatever he chooses is fine by me.

Reactions: 08Vol and VolArmy74
If you don’t think Cad makes a huge difference you must not have watched the Ole Miss game. The drop off from him to his back up is the biggest drop off on our roster, IMO, besides QB.

All in all, when healthy....I think Cade Mays is the best player on the team.

Plus, he really a guard playing out of position due to our lack of experience at tackle.

Reactions: 08Vol and bpalmer28
Honestly he’s not worth the league minimum for one year. Would love to have him back, but I wouldn’t waste hundreds of thousands of dollars much less 3rd or 4th round money for this guy

The exciting new world of college football!!! I love it! Someone said, "If you can't get out of it, get into it!" So, let's go!!

The average life expectancy of an NFL player used to be less than 60 and is reliably less than 70.

It's a brutal game with a very short career expectancy and effects on life expectancy for guys like Cade.

Whatever he chooses is fine by me.
My response was to Cade Mays seeking 700-800k to stay at UT. This has nothing to do with him getting money for his family, His family has money as he and his brother both attended a 30k a year private high school here.

I had a Bama booster tell me today it's his understanding Texas A&M is guaranteeing OL kids $60K per year in NIL money, tops in the SEC. Cade may not realize what the market is actually paying.

Reactions: stillavol
He’s not worth that. We can buy better for that kind of money. NIL going to be the end of College football.
You're not wrong. He's been "uninspiring" in his time here. I mean .....he's been ok.....but not great. Definately not worth the 5* rating

I had a Bama booster tell me today it's his understanding Texas A&M is guaranteeing OL kids $60K per year in NIL money, tops in the SEC. Cade may not realize what the market is actually paying.
I understand kids getting all the NIL money they can. I just didn't understand telling people he was leaving and then saying he would consider staying for enough money. I actually thought he would stay to play one more year with his brother. There's nothing wrong with him getting NIL money, it's just the way he is going after it.

My response was to Cade Mays seeking 700-800k to stay at UT. This has nothing to do with him getting money for his family, His family has money as he and his brother both attended a 30k a year private high school here.
Cade's apparently trying to justify staying at UT and not maximizing his earnings vs going to the NFL with a signing bonus (likely) and more money.

It's not a dumb thing for him to do, regardless of his family background. His career duration is likely only a few years and using one of those years making peanuts wouldn't be smart. If he gets paid here, even if less than the NFL, the emotional side of it might outweigh the money.

It's his call.

Nah, go to the NFL and see if you can earn it. I’m for NIL, but not players demanding pay for subNFL performance

At least it’s all on the table now. We are about to find out how serious our Billionaires are about Vol football. What kind of ROI do most NIL deals expect?
my guess would be a total loss. My assumption is this is boostering and not bizness. Based on what we’ve seen, the booster actually are pretty stupid. At least one of them is. The Texas linemen deal is clearly intended to be a total loss. They aren’t hiding that.

but now I don’t know that’s typical. I’m glad it’s not my money. I did eat at Pals, but I don’t think I eat there more if Fulkerson says to.

You may be slightly missing my point, Cade (or other high level players) can make life changing, generational money by leaving now. Why stay here an extra year for free with any risk of injury that could derail that. I think it's a fair deal to ask what he'd be turning down in pay, to return for a year. Plus, the faster you start playing the quicker you get to a massive second contract.

my guess would be a total loss. My assumption is this is boostering and not bizness. Based on what we’ve seen, the booster actually are pretty stupid. At least one of them is. The Texas linemen deal is clearly intended to be a total loss. They aren’t hiding that.

but now I don’t know that’s typical. I’m glad it’s not my money. I did eat at Pals, but I don’t think I eat there more if Fulkerson says to.

I do eat there more because they support the Vols. Same with the Moonshine cookies. I had no idea they existed before Alontae. I'll happily patronize them now because of that. Advertising drives every form of media and entertainment. It's the backbone of sports.

I’m not down with what Cade Mays was quoted as saying about wanting 3rd or 4th round NIL $$ to stay at TN.

With his history of nagging injuries, it’s unknown where he will go in the draft. Cade might go 3rd or 4th round. Or he might go much later.

When you get paid to play, you don’t get games off for nagging injuries. You’re expected to suck it up and play through the pain. At a high level. If you’ve got to take games off then you go on IR and get your problem fixed. There are all kinds of rules and procedures in the NFL for this.

That’s not the way college football is designed to work. At all.

NIL CANNOT be a substitute for “presumptive” NFL $$. If Cade got 3rd round NIL $ to stay at TN then he would be expected to play every snap of every game regardless of nagging injuries and he would be expected to keep pitching shut outs. Anything less would be seen by the Vol community as a “breach of contract” that could potentially divide the locker room.

Hope Heupel is way too smart to even consider going there.

Wishing Cade best of luck in his NFL career.

Reactions: tribe80

VN Store

Back