Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

Payments have been going on in the background for many, many years. You dislike that it's in the open? You think successful teams WEREN'T paying players to come to their school?

Was college football ruined then or only now when it's in the open?
It was nowhere near the level it's about to be. The transfer portal is ruining it just as bad though. It's just free agency, and I hate it.

I'm just never gonna agree on this issue. Sadly it's gonna ruin college football.

How is it going to ruin anything? Do you hate basketball now because John Fulkerson gets money from Pals to talk about their food? Do you feel like Alontate's interception cookies damaged the game?

I worked for a now deceased major major booster for years. He gave players thousands of dollars a season, 300 here, 500 there, etc etc. The players have always gotten paid, and rightfully so. The NCAA was in the wrong all these years and the courts confirmed it. It's decidedly against the very ideal of American life to deny someone the ability to make money for an otherwise legal service they can render.

How is it going to ruin anything? Do you hate basketball now because John Fulkerson gets money from Pals to talk about their food? Do you feel like Alontate's interception cookies damaged the game?

I worked for a now deceased major major booster for years. He gave players thousands of dollars a season, 300 here, 500 there, etc etc. The players have always gotten paid, and rightfully so. The NCAA was in the wrong all these years and the courts confirmed it. It's decidedly against the very ideal of American life to deny someone the ability to make money for an otherwise legal service they can render.
I see no problem with the things you mentioned. The issue to me is giving these recruits 6 figure deals before they’ve even played a down. But then again, if people want to be stupid with their money, then who am I to tell them otherwise?

There's not a player alive that's worth paying a million bucks a year to play. Hell anything even six figures. I'll never be convinced otherwise.

It was nowhere near the level it's about to be. The transfer portal is ruining it just as bad though. It's just free agency, and I hate it.
I'm not thrilled with the "one free transfer without sitting" ruling but the portal itself......JMO, can't prove it..... seems to be a response to some player tampering from schools and lets players legally be contacted.

I dislike no penalty for transfers unless a coach leaves, family changes, etc but I don't think it "ruins" the game. Again, for DECADES players were recruited over and told in the middle of their time at the school......."you might think about going somewhere else."

I certainly don't pity the schools who've treated athletes like pawns to move, get rid of, etc for years and years.

Reactions: Rylee_Vol18
I see no problem with the things you mentioned. The issue to me is giving these recruits 6 figure deals before they’ve even played a down. But then again, if people want to be stupid with their money, then who am I to tell them otherwise?

Future NBA players get 8 figure endorsement deals before playing a game. I have no problem with anyone earning what they can, when they can. I have no problem with a company paying whatever they want for an advertising or other venture.

People are acting like this money is coming straight from their donations or ticket prices. It isn't but I wouldn't even have an issue with that. The players are the engine that makes the whole thing go. They deserve some of the fruit from their labor.

I started working off the farm at 14. I earned money and have never had a job that didn't pay me in actual money in the many decades since then. Football is a job for these guys. Even in college. If there's a way then can earn money, more power to them.

I sat through the "dot.com" era and know wealthy people who gave lots of money to what was called "vaporware"...... hardware and software ideas that were nothing more than concepts.

People I considered quite bright gave a lot of money for people to try to develop things that still aren't possible 30 years later.

Venture capital matured. NIL will too.

I was legitimately about to ask the question how long until a university pays a player as much or more then a mid round draft pick to stay … I don’t expect Cade to get that much . But imagine if u have a really good quarterback that just isn’t a prototype NFL Quarterback. I can absolutely see a university putting together a super lucrative deal to keep him there .

I understand your sentiment, however have concerns about blatant pay for play. There must be legitimate contract between player and business. Remember the university can not provide assistance or help in securing a NIL deal.

I known we all clutch our Pearls when some one tells mentioned NCAA violation. But NIL is going to be a boon for the NCAA.
I think that is what the NCAA was hoping for, as far as heading off pay for play, but there’s a huge gray area in the fair market value of NIL, I don’t say how they can legitimately argue that a players NIL isn’t worth what someone is willing to pay, especially if lots of other schools start doing similar actions. For instance if a booster gives a hundred grand to every player on the team for an autographed photo, how could they say it’s definitely a violation? The school wouldn’t be part of it, and the word would get out and recruits would know that if I go to Tennessee, I’m guaranteed 100,000. Even if the NCAA pleaded that was above value and a violation it would only be a short time, because other schools would follow suit and it would be established very quickly as in the realm of market value. Im sure the Texas experiment will be replicated by other schools, kind of in a similar fashion. I think it’s all just the tip of the iceberg as each school navigates what they can do to gain an advantage to each other. And I know it can’t be instigated by the school itself, but they can’t regulate private conversations. It’s not like all this happens in a vacuum, these boosters talk to each other, and they talk to administration. Hell, our President is even a huge booster himself.

This is a defining moment for UT football. Someone pays players in this situation, or we watch rivals do it, and we remain second tier with the other weaker NIL programs.

Like it, or not.
People can attack the messenger all they want. Doesn't change reality one bit. No matter their political stance on taking money from people, redistribution of wealth fantasies, or spending other people's money gibberish.
Boosters pay up for these situations, or we do not compete beyond 3rd place in the SEC East.

What are they calling charity or which charity?
I don’t suppose anybody cares. I don’t. I don’t live in Texas, so I won’t be donating to whatever it is, including the player salaries.

I don’t think there’s been any need for them to talk about it, but if you’re curious, I’d say just give it a year and then use google.

There's not a player alive that's worth paying a million bucks a year to play. Hell anything even six figures. I'll never be convinced otherwise.
Cam Newton wasn’t worth a million to that Auburn team? Johnny Football? Tim Tebow? What about Joe Burrow? Those schools would’ve happily paid ten million if it was legal and guaranteed those results.

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back