Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

I had a Bama booster tell me today it's his understanding Texas A&M is guaranteeing OL kids $60K per year in NIL money, tops in the SEC. Cade may not realize what the market is actually paying.
I don't doubt what you say. However, as I understand the university can not be involved in NIL. UT has developed a course for credit for atheles to explain NIL.

NCAA has already opened two NIL cases against BYU and University of Miami. The allegations are pay to play. In the BYU case HBO sports has already run a fifteen minute segment. The owner of Build Bar ( a brand for power bars) is paying all team members at BYU a $1000 a month. NIL connections seem weak to me. Build Bar is providing power bars for training table at BYU and claiming under NIL, BYU football team is endorsing his product. NCAA is saying not sure but don't think so.

I just don't see how you can get a ROI on a OL guy in college football at $150K.
If the schools pay it. I can kinda see it but a business. I don't see it
They claim this deal is for charity. The ROI is total loss and they aren’t hiding that.

For people talking about return on investment, what do you think the people who love UT football and are in a position to pay these deals are happier with, throwing some money at players and getting some publicity/good will for their business, or pouring it into paying buyouts every few years for junkyard coaches and golden parachute ADs?

I just don't see how you can get a ROI on a OL guy in college football at $150K.
If the schools pay it. I can kinda see it but a business. I don't see it
I have a hard time believing the people handing out big NIL deals are doing it for ROI. More likely that they are doing it for their ego. It’s probably the same people who were paying players before but now it’s just within the rules. Doubt the Yellawood guy gets a return on his investment into Tank Bisby. Barstool may get some attention for it but will they get their million dollars back for helping Coach Prime get his guy? I have a tough time seeing it

A lot of people saying investments and returns for NIL. I know a few businesses will use athletes for legitimate advertising, but I have kind of assumed that all of this is mostly a farce just to let boosters pay players directly. The boosters that donate large sums of money don’t do it for returns, and I would think if they’ve already been giving to the athletic department then why not give it to the players. The fastest way to improve is to get better players, it would seem if boosters really want to just win, they should do that instead of stadium renovations or giving to scholarship funds as they have in the past.

Reactions: tbwhhs
A lot of people saying investments and returns for NIL. I know a few businesses will use athletes for legitimate advertising, but I have kind of assumed that all of this is mostly a farce just to let boosters pay players directly. The boosters that donate large sums of money don’t do it for returns, and I would think if they’ve already been giving to the athletic department then why not give it to the players. The fastest way to improve is to get better players, it would seem if boosters really want to just win, they should do that instead of stadium renovations or giving to scholarship funds as they have in the past.
I understand your sentiment, however have concerns about blatant pay for play. There must be legitimate contract between player and business. Remember the university can not provide assistance or help in securing a NIL deal.

I known we all clutch our Pearls when some one tells mentioned NCAA violation. But NIL is going to be a boon for the NCAA.

What may be true, and accountants here can chime in, is that these NIL deals are better for the boosters than the old under the table methods of paying players.

I'd think with these endorsement contracts the money can be expensed as advertising instead of being "dark money."

I'm assuming they can write some of this off.

What may be true, and accountants here can chime in, is that these NIL deals are better for the boosters than the old under the table methods of paying players.

I'd think with these endorsement contracts the money can be expensed as advertising instead of being "dark money."

Not an accountant and managed to fail several accounting classes. But you have a good point, advertising would count as an expense to be subtracted from gross income.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Not an accountant and managed to fail several accounting classes. But you have a good point, advertising would count as an expense to be subtracted from gross income.
I'm not sure how the IRS decides what's legit advertising vs a gift vs overpaying for ad services for another reason which the IRS might question.

I suspect taxes/deductions has something to do with Texas starting a "charity" for NIL purposes. I don't claim to understand but my intuition says there's a deduction attempt in there somewhere.

I would think so as well, and I’m sure they’re plenty of donors that want to get benefits for whatever they give. But I would assume that there are also several that give just to win, ones that pony up to pay off to get rid of a coach or who just want to see a win while they are watching the games. No doubt it’s going to be interesting to see how this all evolves in the future.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
hope he does whatever is in his best interest. These kids sacrifice their bodies for us and this university and should get whatever they are entitled to. Hope he can get a good NIL deal and stay but if not hope he gets a lucrative nfl contract.
They play a game, not go to war. Nobody is dying out there on the field. 🙄

Another fine example of double standards between coaches and players. Butch Jones gets paid millions of dollars for being terrible at his job, but a player getting paid to do local advertisements is “ruining college football.”
Coaches are professionals. Players are students getting a free education.

Coaches are professionals. Players are students getting a free education.

Players are human beings who have a right to earn money. The Courts blasted the NCAA for pretending it was fine they raked in billions while claiming they couldn't afford to let players earn money from their own image.

Reactions: volfanhill
I would think so as well, and I’m sure they’re plenty of donors that want to get benefits for whatever they give. But I would assume that there are also several that give just to win, ones that pony up to pay off to get rid of a coach or who just want to see a win while they are watching the games. No doubt it’s going to be interesting to see how this all evolves in the future.
I'm certain this will get more organized and the money going from "dark" to business expense has to have some kind of tax benefit.

I'm also hoping the players making huge money are getting help and since they're getting a lot of it from rich guys. Accountants/attorneys are people rich people tend to know so they could help the guys put money in tax friendly places which might help everyone involved.

All of this will get organized by successful schools like the "dark money" was but the current bidding wars and unexpected big money deals are pretty exciting.

Reactions: chattaboogie
Players are human beings who have a right to earn money. The Courts blasted the NCAA for pretending it was fine they raked in billions while claiming they couldn't afford to let players earn money from their own image.
Players saying pay me or I'm leaving isn't earning money, it's extortion. I hate the NIL already.

Players saying pay me or I'm leaving isn't earning money, it's extortion. I hate the NIL already.

No, it's not. People say that every day in their jobs. For years the NCAA has told players they can't earn money. That was correctly slapped down as un-American. More power to Cade or anyone else who can now negotiate themselves a better living.

Reactions: chattaboogie
I'm just never gonna agree on this issue. Sadly it's gonna ruin college football.
Payments have been going on in the background for many, many years. You dislike that it's in the open? You think successful teams WEREN'T paying players to come to their school?

Was college football ruined then or only now when it's in the open?

No, it's not. People say that every day in their jobs. For years the NCAA has told players they can't earn money. That was correctly slapped down as un-American. More power to Cade or anyone else who can now negotiate themselves a better living.
That's for professionals. Students getting a free education and other perks aren't professionals. Again, we'll just agree to disagree.

VN Store

Back