'21 CA WDE Jailen Weaver (Nebraska commit)

The 6-foot-9, 270-pound Weaver holds offers from Texas A&M, Nebraska, Arkansas, Indiana, Washington State and San Jose State in addition to the Vols, and he said he currently plans to choose between those seven teams. “I’m not interested in the guys who are coming in after all the other offers already came in,” Weaver said. “I’m going to keep it real: If schools offer me, they’re pretty much wasting their time now.”

But he probably won’t be making a commitment any time soon. Weaver hasn’t been on many visits to this point, and he wasn’t able to take his tentatively planned trips to Tennessee and Texas A&M this spring. He still plans to hit the road in the coming months to explore some of his options, and he said he still intends to visit the Vols “when all this stuff is over,” referring to the ongoing dead period for recruiting.

He currently believes his college decision, though, might be several months away. “Whenever it’s over, I’m still going to take visits,” Weaver said. “To be honest with you, I’m probably not going to commit ‘til, like, the very last second, just because of everything being so delayed. “I’m not looking for any more offers. I pretty much know what’s going on with my situation. I just need to get up to some campuses so I can make my final decision.”

Weaver said he’s “definitely not looking at all” seven of the schools that have given his offers, adding that there are “a couple schools that’s on top.” But he’s not ready to reveal which teams might be standing out to him. “I hear from everybody, pretty much — well, six of them,” he said, adding that he hasn’t stayed in contact with San Jose State. Asked about which schools he might visit in the coming months, he said, “I’m not even sure yet.”

But he knows he wants to make a trip to Tennessee, which offered him in late February and has stayed in contact with him since then, led by first-year defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh. “I talk to them every week,” Weaver said of the Vols. “It’s about the same as some other schools.” Brumbaugh has made a good impression on Weaver so far.

“He’s cool,” Weaver said. “We don’t really talk about football too much anymore. Just catch up on what’s going on. He’s a cool dude. I can tell that he doesn’t just care about what you’re doing in football.”

Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt also has talked with Weaver on a couple of occasions. Weaver said he spoken with Pruitt again earlier this week. “I’ve talked to him twice, and one of the times was (Monday),” Weaver said of Pruitt. “(He was) just saying how they wanted me up there, how I would fit in their defense — stuff like that. … The first time (talking to him) was, like, a month or two ago, and the second time was (Monday).”

Weaver said he expects to wait until National Signing Day in February to finalize his college decision rather than signing in December during the Early Signing Period. He plans to take as much time as he needs to figure out where he wants to go. Asked when he might choose a school, he said, “Probably, like, when it’s the last day.”

I think he's legitimately in play. Tennessee really has only one true defensive lineman in its class at the moment, although KaTron Evans is announcing Saturday, and the Vols have a big need there with several rising seniors set to leave after this season. So I think they still need a lot of help on the defensive line. Weaver is a name that has sort of flown under the radar to this point, but I think Tennessee likes him.

- Callahan

looks really really really raw...slow off the line.

but he is physical as hell and seems like he's pretty mean on the field lol.
he's so freaking big, and while i do think he's slow at the snamp, for such a big guy he does seem to run and move pretty well......

he'd need to develop, but what the heck. 6'8" DE? we need someone that can maybe match up against our TE competition down at UGA.....lol

Reactions: SoilVol
looks really really really raw...slow off the line.

but he is physical as hell and seems like he's pretty mean on the field lol.
he's so freaking big, and while i do think he's slow at the snamp, for such a big guy he does seem to run and move pretty well......

he'd need to develop, but what the heck. 6'8" DE? we need someone that can maybe match up against our TE competition down at UGA.....lol
I don’t know if he’s just straight slow off the line or just takes plays off, cause some of those plays he looks quick off the line. Regardless, when he fills out his body and gets some good coaching there seems to be a lot to work with there

I don’t know if he’s just straight slow off the line or just takes plays off, cause some of those plays he looks quick off the line. Regardless, when he fills out his body and gets some good coaching there seems to be a lot to work with there
could be? dunno, just watching highlights, not necessarrily stating he is or isn't anything at this point.

plus he's just the largest dude on the field, so he's tossing those guys around literally like rag dolls...lol. i'm sure it'd be different when you line up against an OT that's 6'4, 320 lol...

i'd say with what he has naturally (physicality, attitude and decent enough movement for a big guy) everthing else can be taught and /or developed in S&C.

kinda reminds me of Kongbo a little bit in that way......just younger, so he has an opportunity to develop more, before he has to hit the field at the P5 level.

Jalien "Too Tall" Weaver.

Would be a cool nickname for this guy, And a very unique nickname that has never been given to an above average height defensive end before.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
could be? dunno, just watching highlights, not necessarrily stating he is or isn't anything at this point.

plus he's just the largest dude on the field, so he's tossing those guys around literally like rag dolls...lol. i'm sure it'd be different when you line up against an OT that's 6'4, 320 lol...

i'd say with what he has naturally (physicality, attitude and decent enough movement for a big guy) everthing else can be taught and /or developed in S&C.

kinda reminds me of Kongbo a little bit in that way......just younger, so he has an opportunity to develop more, before he has to hit the field at the P5 level.
Yeah I don't think a college tackle would be too worried about blocking him. Just about all would have lower center of gravity and would be able to get under his pads every snap. This guy could develop other moves and technique.... intriguing prospect. I do wonder if he'd be better suited as a TE. May not be a good run blocker but if he can catch he appears to have decent straight line speed.

I agree 100%

Reactions: jakez4ut
Yeah I don't think a college tackle would be too worried about blocking him. Just about all would have lower center of gravity and would be able to get under his pads every snap. This guy could develop other moves and technique.... intriguing prospect. I do wonder if he'd be better suited as a TE. May not be a good run blocker but if he can catch he appears to have decent straight line speed.
that's a natural correlation b/c of the size...but i could see them keeping him on defense.

he may not be suited for 34 DE for the reason stated, but could he be that really long OLB?

Reactions: SoilVol
I was just thinking maybe he could stand up and play like Lorenzo Carter or Loenord Floyd for Ga, but after looking he’s still got 3,4 inches on those guys 🤯

Reactions: jakez4ut
I was just thinking maybe he could stand up and play like Lorenzo Carter or Loenord Floyd for Ga, but after looking he’s still got 3,4 inches on those guys 🤯
couldn't remember his name, but Lorenzo Carter is exactly who i was thinking about...though i think he might have longer arms than this kid...lol. that kid was long.

nb4 twss...lol.

Reactions: Hbd10

VN Store

Back