‘23 CA RB Roderick Robinson (Georgia commit)

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound mauler has garnered a lot of interest from the Volunteer State of late as the Vols hope to bring him to campus at some point before the fall season begins.

“It’s still early – they just offered, but the relationship is great,” the San Diego, Calif. native told Volquest of Tennessee. “The coaches seem very high on me and I’m high on them as well. I feel like they could be great people to mentor me on and off the field.”

Quarterbacks coach Joey Halzle, who was on his West Coast recruiting swing last month, stopped by Lincoln High School and spoke with Robinson and his coaches. Days later, Tennessee offered the running back.

“Coach Halzle was telling me that I have the frame of an SEC running back already,” the 2023 prospect explained. “He says with hard work and dedication, I can play in the SEC and succeed. That was a real confidence booster for me.”

Tennessee running backs coach Jerry Mack has also been working the three-star.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Coach Mack. He’s been texting me for a while now,” Robinson continued. “He thinks I’m a good running back and with more work, I could be an NFL-bound running back. Hopefully, they are right.

“They want me to come up as soon as I can, whenever I can. They know it’s a far trip. I’m trying to work it out with my mom for when we can go and visit because my mom lives in South Carolina.”
“It’s crazy, but it’s going great right now,” Robinson said of the recruiting process. “At the end of my junior season, I had five offers. I have 19 now. It’s really kick-started back up in the new year.

“I’d love to visit Tennessee.”

The tailback ran for 1,300 yards as a junior on 185 carries. He found the end zone 17 times and averaged seven yards a carry.

An All-Region player in 2021, Robinson believes he’s way more than just an in-between the tackles runner. In fact, he operates out of a spread-offense that majority of the time and has been clocked at 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

“I’m a big back who can do more than just run downhill,” the target said. “I feel like I have deceiving speed and deceiving shiftiness. I feel like I have great hands and can be used wherever, whenever.”

Robinson visited Arizona in January and plans to check in with Cal and USC in March. The 2023 prospect took in a game day at Oregon back in the fall. There’s a lot to get done prior to making a decision and that commitment will come by August 18.

“That date is just the Thursday before our first game. I want to be committed to a school before our season starts,” the running back said. “My plan for this spring and summer is to sit down and talk with my family and see which trips we can make to see schools. We need to see which ones we are really considering and see if we can make them.”

Time will tell if the Volunteers are able to lure him to campus, but the bruiser certainly is open to it right now. Regardless of if it’s Tennessee or another program, Robinson has a few things he is looking for in a staff at the next level.

“I’m looking for a place I can call another home,” the prospect concluded. “I’m looking for coaches that I can have a good relationship with on and off the field who will make me not only a better football player but a better person too - people who can team me life lessons.”
-VQ

Big news: visiting May 6th (after going to AU May 5th).

“My mom will be with me on that trip,” Robinson said. “She lives in South Carolina and it’s not too long of a drive so she’ll meet out there and that will be good.

“The entire UT staff is recruiting me really hard including coach Heupel. I talk with with coach Mack (RB coach) all the time and then Nico (Nicholaus Iamaleava) is on me too. We actually played them in a 7v7 tournament last weekend. That was the first time meeting him in person but he’s a great guy and always talks up Tennessee and building a special class this year.”

-Greg Biggins, 247

I've been waiting on a big back... bring him to Knoxville... Thought we'd finally have one in Crouch, but cornbread moved him to LB, then he quit on us, so with this kid's speed, it could be a great piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: VolFanGBO

VN Store

Back