‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Illogical. Absence of proof isn't proof of absence.

The poster I responded to made the comment that if we get Nico it will prove JH can recruit. Si it’s not illogical to assume he believes that if we don’t get Nico, that JH can’t recruit.

The poster I responded to made the comment that if we get Nico it will prove JH can recruit. Si it’s not illogical to assume he believes that if we don’t get Nico, that JH can’t recruit.
I don't think that's a direct response - one proves the point, the other option leaves it open to question.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Didn't say that, and yes, it is illogical.

No it’s not. Say I made the following statement. “If Heupel doesn’t win at least 9 games this year, then it will prove he isn’t a good coach.” Using my premise, it would be completely logical to assume that if Heupel wins 9 or more games, then I believe he is a good coach.

No it’s not. Say I made the following statement. “If Heupel doesn’t win at least 9 games this year, then it will prove he isn’t a good coach.” Using my premise, it would be completely logical to assume that if Heupel wins 9 or more games, then I believe he is a good coach.

The inability to prove something true does not make it false. There was an unsolved murder in your community. My inability to prove that you didn't do it doesn't prove that you did.

Either you aren't very smart or you are trolling. Either way I'm done with you.

The inability to prove something true does not make it false. There was an unsolved murder in your community. My inability to prove that you didn't do it doesn't prove that you did.

Either you aren't very smart or you are trolling. Either way I'm done with you.

Sure thing bud.

So if we don’t get him then Heupel can’t recruit? Ok then.
In philosophy we call this Denying the Antecedent. It's a formal logical fallacy.

Such as:

If I'm a Tennesseean, then I'm an American
I'm not a Tennesseean
Therefore, I'm not an American

Just like:

If we get Nico, Heupel is a good recruiter
We didn't get Nico
Therefore, Heupel is not a good recruiter

The conclusion simply doesn't follow from the premise logically, even if it could still be true.

VN Store

Back