‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

He completed 68% of his passes and 14 TDs 3 ints in back up to Tua for 2019.
Had a 400 yard passing game when Tua was injured

What do you mean terrible?

Many of those stats came across a 1-AA opponent. Greg McElroy did a breakdown and said if that were an SEC opponent he would have thrown 4 INTs because his timing was so bad.

My girlfriend is a Bama fan, and she agreed. He was terrible and you would have never predicted him to be a 1st round pick at that moment.

And the QBs ahead of Peyton were Joe Milton caliber?

My question with all of this is, WHAT has Joe Milton shown to give any confidence?

It's actually the opposite.

We wouldn't have won 5 games last year had Joe stayed at QB1.
This opinion you all are pushing for Joe is basically saying "we're going to gave losing season in 2023"...
He isn't as good or as bad as people think. He's physically more capable of withstanding SEC defenses. He's been in the system for 3 years and knows the system well. Hes been developed by Heupel/Hazle/Golesh for 2-3yrs at that point. He has the trust and respect of teammates. He's earned the opportunity by staying, getting better, and being a good teammate and person in the community.

We all wanna see Nico, hes gonna be phenomenal, but none of us wanna derail him from his potential. He could easily get injured and have his confidence shaken other ways by starting too soon. It happens a lot and some of the highest potential qbs take a while to recover from stuff like that.

If he comes in and just outperforms everyone and is physically and mentally capable of running the offense better than anyone else, he will start. That is highly unlikely to happen, given his current size and the people on roster in front of him.

He puts down everyone who has a different opinion than him. Like he's some all knowing football God. If he can't tell us what makes him such an authority on college football then I have no desire to speak to him.
Then don't. Anyone's points or arguments can stand or fall on their own. It's got nothing to do with their source.

I probably should have stuck to my policy of staying out of these spats. Must have been my mood at the time.

Reactions: Jaxon_Vol2017
Many of those stats came across a 1-AA opponent. Greg McElroy did a breakdown and said if that were an SEC opponent he would have thrown 4 INTs because his timing was so bad.

My girlfriend is a Bama fan, and she agreed. He was terrible and you would have never predicted him to be a 1st round pick at that moment.
You need a new girlfriend

LV is never correct. But Mac’s stats in 2019 were not all vs FCS. His best 4 games:

AUB: 26-39, 335 yards, 4 td / 2 int
ARK: 18-22, 235 yards, 3/0
WCU: 10-12, 275 yards, 3/0
Michigan: 16-25, 327 yards, 3/0

LV is never correct. But Mac’s stats in 2019 were not all vs FCS. His best 4 games:

AUB: 26-39, 335 yards, 4 td / 2 int
ARK: 18-22, 235 yards, 3/0
WCU: 10-12, 275 yards, 3/0
Michigan: 16-25, 327 yards, 3/0
Yeah I believe that's when he really turned the corner, and we knew he'd probably be good that following season.

I’m 100% for Nico to UT but don’t hate on Arch. The guy has every reason to be a cocky jerk but has handled himself with Manning class. He didn’t have to or need to play 7 on 7 to go to a good school. He also could learn more from his family than going to camps. He made one post committing to UTjr and that was it. He has no input in his ranking. The whole thing is just pay sites trying to make a buck. He may turn out to be a meaty okra player but he seems like a good kid and I wish him nothing but the 2nd best.
I personally don't blame him at all for the hype. It's the idiots that use his name as part of his evaluation. I get that he has received fantastic personal coaching his whole life, but he has yet to really prove it. I think he will prove to be a great QB, but it remains to be seen just how great.

Do I think he's the best QB in the land, no...we all know who the best HS player in the nation is; but, I'd never bet against a Manning becoming great.

And, I'd never hate on Arch...I love, and have nothing but the highest respect, for his family; his uncle is the greatest football player to ever live, and the second most important person in the history of our program.
I mean, I really like Mose Phillips and all that, but putting him above Peyton might be a little much, JMO.

Reactions: SugarCC
He isn't as good or as bad as people think. He's physically more capable of withstanding SEC defenses. He's been in the system for 3 years and knows the system well. Hes been developed by Heupel/Hazle/Golesh for 2-3yrs at that point. He has the trust and respect of teammates. He's earned the opportunity by staying, getting better, and being a good teammate and person in the community.

We all wanna see Nico, hes gonna be phenomenal, but none of us wanna derail him from his potential. He could easily get injured and have his confidence shaken other ways by starting too soon. It happens a lot and some of the highest potential qbs take a while to recover from stuff like that.

If he comes in and just outperforms everyone and is physically and mentally capable of running the offense better than anyone else, he will start. That is highly unlikely to happen, given his current size and the people on roster in front of him.

QB1 will have an experienced OL returning.
However, TE will be an issue big time.
WR will be fine.

The defense will take a hit in 2023, which could push QB1 to have to make plays.

I look forward to that QB battle.

In my opinion Nico will start game 1.
I'll leave it that.
(FP#3)

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
QB1 will have an experienced OL returning.
However, TE will be an issue big time.
WR will be fine.

The defense will take a hit in 2023, which could push QB1 to have to make plays.

I look forward to that QB battle.

In my opinion Nico will start game 1.
I'll leave it that.
(FP#3)
If Campbell continues to improve, we’ll be fine at TE, Davis is a Top 3 TE this class, and is a day one starter

My question with all of this is, WHAT has Joe Milton shown to give any confidence?

This opinion you all are pushing for Joe is basically saying "we're going to gave losing season in 2023"...
Agree. It’s not familiarity with the system either. Milton is still making decisions like a true freshman. Guy has all the physical tool. Just lacks the mental makeup when in crunch time in a game.

Conversely, what evidence is there that indicates he can’t improve his game? I trust Heupel to start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win; collectively as a fan base, we all should.

Agree. It’s not familiarity with the system either. Milton is still making decisions like a true freshman. Guy has all the physical tool. Just lacks the mental makeup when in crunch time in a game.

We haven’t seen him make decisions this year, so it can’t be said “he is still making decisions like…”, and last year was a shortened first year in this system. People/players are capable of growing and learning from mistakes, if the coaches and his teammates trust him then so should the fan base.

I have no ill will towards Milton whatsoever. In fact I hope he lights it up, but I’m skeptical. Is he gonna stop being scared of getting hit? How about developing touch on the ball? Guess we’ll just have to wait and see but I have my doubts. Like it was with JG. Practice warrior, but something awry happens under the lights. Thankfully we have a competent coach who will make the right decision or correct it if his first one is wrong.

What else would u expect Hooker to say "Well Milton's ass he had 5 years now" "Kid can throw a football over a mountain but cant hit a receiver in stride and I took his job"?That aint Hook style he's gonna support his buddy.

Man I don't get why folks omit Jackson like he isn't even here while pumping Milton on year 5.If I had an employee and he had worked in my field 5 years and still didn't understand I'd have to find a new employee asap.I get the "Heupel is a qb God" argument I think he's a great coach.What I don't get is how Jackson isn't going to get any better under same said coach?Ideally Milton would be the bridge qb until Nico is ready but Jackson isn't going to go quietly into that dark night.Ive heard Jackson has looked good in limited work but on the field and practice are 2 diff animals just ask Milton.Ill never root against anyone wearing the big orange but I call it like I see it we don't gotta agree...

*This is one those subjects will all never fully agree on and Milton playing is the only thing that matters.Until then were just cluttering threads saying the same ole same ole...Who knows but jmo i hope we don't have to find out

Milton will have more experience in Heupel system. Not only that one has just watch Milton play to see the guy has all the skills almost any coach would want. Now I realize that some of VN thinks Milton cannot improve but that’s foolish thinking. He showed improvement last season. Especially towards the end.

I think whomever starts Milton or Jackson, we will be in good hands.

We haven’t seen him make decisions this year, so it can’t be said “he is still making decisions like…”, and last year was a shortened first year in this system. People/players are capable of growing and learning from mistakes, if the coaches and his teammates trust him then so should the fan base.
Get out of here with this types of logical comment. We all saw him play limited snaps at the beginning of last season and he made some overthrows and ran out of bounds when he shouldn't so.....fundamentally that means he can never be any good at the QB position.

Conversely, what evidence is there that indicates he can’t improve his game? I trust Heupel to start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win; collectively as a fan base, we all should.
Sure...
Just like last year??🙄.

You do understand your'e making my point for me??

Do you not remember who won the fall camp? Heupel went out of his way to get him here on top of that.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. Heupel clearly made a mistake with Milton but was aware enough to just accept what his eyes saw during game time with Hendon

Some of you all after 4 YEARS of JG are still thinking that boy can play winning football somehow😏. Same crap...Hoping just to hope! And what makes it so ridiculous is that we have the best QB coming in for the whole 2023 class...yet you want to roll with the PROVEN loser. There's no secret to Milton. As he said last year "its all on tape".

Milton wasn't just bad last year. He was HORRIBLE at Michigan the year before.He eventually got benched for a very average McNamara.

Just because one 2020 season and 2 games in 2021 isn't enough for YOU, doesn't mean it's not enough for anyone else with eyes, to see the kid can't play winning football.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
If Campbell continues to improve, we’ll be fine at TE, Davis is a Top 3 TE this class, and is a day one starter
Need to see something from Campbell this year. Probably going to need a transfer TE as well. Or perhaps Ben Bolton could switch. He was a monster TE in HS. Davis hurt his shoulder and will need to RS imo.

Reactions: Volstar65
Need to see something from Campbell this year. Probably going to need a transfer TE as well. Or perhaps Ben Bolton could switch. He was a monster TE in HS. Davis hurt his shoulder and will need to RS imo.
It’s a 4-6 week recovery time and he’s an EE. He’ll be ready.

Get out of here with this types of logical comment. We all saw him play limited snaps at the beginning of last season and he made some overthrows and ran out of bounds when he shouldn't so.....fundamentally that means he can never be any good at the QB position.

I apologize, what was thinking using a logical line of thinking… snap judgements only allowed. I will try my best to work on that.

Sure...
Just like last year??🙄.

You do understand your'e making my point for me??

Do you not remember who won the fall camp? Heupel went out of his way to get him here on top of that.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. Heupel clearly made a mistake with Milton but was aware enough to just accept what his eyes saw during game time with Hendon

Some of you all after 4 YEARS of JG are still thinking that boy can play winning football somehow😏. Same crap...Hoping just to hope! And what makes it so ridiculous is that we have the best QB coming in for the whole 2023 class...yet you want to roll with the PROVEN loser. There's no secret to Milton. As he said last year "its all on tape".

Milton wasn't just bad last year. He was HORRIBLE at Michigan the year before.He eventually got benched for a very average McNamara.

Just because one 2020 season and 2 games in 2021 isn't enough for YOU, doesn't mean it's not enough for anyone else with eyes, to see the kid can't play winning football.

I didn’t prove anything for you. In fact you’re proving my point. We’re not living in last year, that was 2021, this is 2022. There are players all of the time who up their game from year to year, it is called “improvement”. Most players strive for that from year to year, unlike many in our society. Coming in and learning a whole new system is no easy task. Experience in UM’s system doesn’t get you ready to play in Heupel’s system. I’m simply saying I refuse to
Make a snap judgement about a kids ability to play based on a very small sample of plays within a new system in a shortened year with no spring ball.

VN Store

Back