‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Why are so many dumping salt on Arch? It's Peyton's nephew. You know the greatest qb to ever run through the T. I get the fact that Arch hasn't camped much, played against weaker competition and all, but no need to wish the kid would fail. Now watch Peyton and Eli coach him up and have him ready to light up the record books by his sophomore season.

Btw I still think nico is the more talented qb with a higher ceiling.
GBO

Arch is not gonna fail at TX. He is gonna be a really good player. He is really talented that can’t be denied. But you said it, he is Peyton and Eli’s nephew. His rating is not based on production. It’s his last name. That’s what I and many others have a problem with. Let’s say Arch’s last name was Iamaleava. Would he have a perfect rating? No.

Arch is not gonna fail at TX. He is gonna be a really good player. He is really talented that can’t be denied. But you said it, he is Peyton and Eli’s nephew. His rating is not based on production. It’s his last name. That’s what I and many others have a problem with. Let’s say Arch’s last name was Iamaleava. Would he have a perfect rating? No.
It's almost like recruit rankings aren't the end all, be all way of judging a recruit.

However, if Iamaleava had Manning as a last name, there would be claims that he may be the best QB prospect in the past 50yrs. Really, the hype would be insane if Manning was actually built like & played like Nico against tough competition, and had the ceiling that Nico has.

Lol sure

They aren’t. But they are right more than they are wrong imo.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful, as it's a serious request. I'd be very interested in you going through our commit list that you are unhappy with and give a film breakdown for each--give details about why you think they aren't up to snuff for UT, and why they will fail to excel at their positions.

As I've watched you poo on recruits and the class based on rankings, I just think that, if you're going to tear down our recruits and recruiting, it would behoove you to do it based on expertise as opposed to misused correlation/causation arguments.

Would you be willing to do that?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, as it's a serious request. I'd be very interested in you going through our commit list that you are unhappy with and give a film breakdown for each--give details about why you think they aren't up to snuff for UT, and why they will fail to excel at their positions.

As I've watched you poo on recruits and the class based on rankings, I just think that, if you're going to tear down our recruits and recruiting, it would behoove you to do it based on expertise as opposed to misused correlation/causation arguments.

Would you be willing to do that?

First off. I really like this class we have right now. I think it’s going to be a great foundational class for our future. Would I like to have higher ranked players? Yes. And so would you. If people on this board would just be honest, they would say the same thing. But most don’t. Most won’t admit the cold hard facts that the teams with the highest rated players are the ones that win championships. I mean there is verifiable data that backs that up.

Why would I go through a film breakdown? I am in no way qualified to evaluate film of a HS kid. And neither is anyone else on this board including you. No disrespect to you or anyone else in anyway but asking to do that is ridiculous. Do I trust the coaches abilities? Yes. I give my opinions just like everyone else. Some agree with them others disagree. My opinion doesn’t mean anymore or less about a recruit or our class than yours or anyone else’s does.

But let me ask you something. Why did the staff want Mauigoa, Tate, Kasper, Jefferson, Benson, and other highly ranked guys so bad? Why is it year after year we see the same teams on the list of almost every high 4* and 5* players?

See here is a problem. When we target a highly ranked player, everybody on here gets excited. They see the film, see the offer list and get excited about the thought of said player on our team. But if we miss on that player and go to the second or third option, we’ll that first guy will want as good as we thought. We have to trust the coaches ability to spot talent. And the recruit we get is always a diamond in the rough. If you trust the coaches than you have to recognize that this staff swung on the elite players in this class first. Meaning, if we would have gotten guys like Mauigoa, Tate, Kasper, MPemba and other highly ranked guys, we wouldn’t have taken some of the guys we have now. That’s not a knock on the guys we have now. Buys just the truth.

Misused correlation/causation? Again how is it I am misusing it? Do you honestly think Bama would have all those NCs without their superior recruiting? Do you think UGA wins last year without a roster full of 4 and 5* players? Come on. Just stop. I mean what other conclusion can you coke up with? It’s not like the team with the highest ranked players only win NCs once in awhile. Please show me the teams with rosters full of lower ranked players that win championships.

First off. I really like this class we have right now. I think it’s going to be a great foundational class for our future. Would I like to have higher ranked players? Yes. And so would you. If people on this board would just be honest, they would say the same thing. But most don’t. Most won’t admit the cold hard facts that the teams with the highest rated players are the ones that win championships. I mean there is verifiable data that backs that up.

Why would I go through a film breakdown? I am in no way qualified to evaluate film of a HS kid. And neither is anyone else on this board including you. No disrespect to you or anyone else in anyway but asking to do that is ridiculous. Do I trust the coaches abilities? Yes. I give my opinions just like everyone else. Some agree with them others disagree. My opinion doesn’t mean anymore or less about a recruit or our class than yours or anyone else’s does.

But let me ask you something. Why did the staff want Mauigoa, Tate, Kasper, Jefferson, Benson, and other highly ranked guys so bad? Why is it year after year we see the same teams on the list of almost every high 4* and 5* players?

See here is a problem. When we target a highly ranked player, everybody on here gets excited. They see the film, see the offer list and get excited about the thought of said player on our team. But if we miss on that player and go to the second or third option, we’ll that first guy will want as good as we thought. We have to trust the coaches ability to spot talent. And the recruit we get is always a diamond in the rough. If you trust the coaches than you have to recognize that this staff swung on the elite players in this class first. Meaning, if we would have gotten guys like Mauigoa, Tate, Kasper, MPemba and other highly ranked guys, we wouldn’t have taken some of the guys we have now. That’s not a knock on the guys we have now. Buys just the truth.

Misused correlation/causation? Again how is it I am misusing it? Do you honestly think Bama would have all those NCs without their superior recruiting? Do you think UGA wins last year without a roster full of 4 and 5* players? Come on. Just stop. I mean what other conclusion can you coke up with? It’s not like the team with the highest ranked players only win NCs once in awhile. Please show me the teams with rosters full of lower ranked players that win championships.

When you bemoan our class for a lack of blue chips, you are crapping on the lower ranked players. Often times IN THEIR THREADS. Then you post here to say that you're not qualified to do it.

And no. I don't want "highly ranked players". I want the best and most talented players for our system. I've posted that (to you) before, so you'd do well to not answer for me. Often times, the ranking and the talent may align. Sometimes they may not. As two people who are admittedly unqualified to argue between the two, I think a bit of humility and even silence on the subject would be wise.

And it truly does amaze me that you would be so belligerent on the subject and even call/infer people stupid on this, while being completely blind to your statistical misuse of correlation. You make the bolded argument, completely blind to the fact that you've begged the question in it that rating==talent and lack of rating==lack of talent.

The fact of the matter is that the rating services miss. Quite often, actually. They also limit the number of 4-5 stars they give out, and bump recruits that are accepted by the successful schools, which produces a system that would do fairly well rating highly recruited, talent recruits while missing LOTS of other highly talented recruits.

So, it would make sense to be excited that we may get Francis, but then also be excited if we get another recruit in his place. Your problem is that your logic argues as though the star rating has a causative effect on the recruit as opposed to a statistical correlation. But the reality is that most of the highly rated recruits are very talented, and there is a lot of equally talented recruits out there that will be successful, no matter what the agencies think.

You basically argue that the decrease in the pirate population has caused global warming.

enhanced-buzz-1129-1365534361-10.jpg

When you bemoan our class for a lack of blue chips, you are crapping on the lower ranked players. Often times IN THEIR THREADS. Then you post here to say that you're not qualified to do it.

And no. I don't want "highly ranked players". I want the best and most talented players for our system. I've posted that (to you) before, so you'd do well to not answer for me. Often times, the ranking and the talent may align. Sometimes they may not. As two people who are admittedly unqualified to argue between the two, I think a bit of humility and even silence on the subject would be wise.

And it truly does amaze me that you would be so belligerent on the subject and even call/infer people stupid on this, while being completely blind to your statistical misuse of correlation. You make the bolded argument, completely blind to the fact that you've begged the question in it that rating==talent and lack of rating==lack of talent.

The fact of the matter is that the rating services miss. Quite often, actually. They also limit the number of 4-5 stars they give out, and bump recruits that are accepted by the successful schools, which produces a system that would do fairly well rating highly recruited, talent recruits while missing LOTS of other highly talented recruits.

So, it would make sense to be excited that we may get Francis, but then also be excited if we get another recruit in his place. Your problem is that your logic argues as though the star rating has a causative effect on the recruit as opposed to a statistical correlation. But the reality is that most of the highly rated recruits are very talented, and there is a lot of equally talented recruits out there that will be successful, no matter what the agencies think.

You basically argue that the decrease in the pirate population has caused global warming.

enhanced-buzz-1129-1365534361-10.jpg

You want the most talented for our system. Well it sure seems like the staff wanted the same guys that OSU, Bama, UGA and Clemson wanted for their system. Wonder why that is? You are like others that you just can’t see what’s staring you right in the face.

Heupel and the staff are recruiting guys like Tate, Innis, Kasper, Mauigoa, Bradley, Nico, Simmons, Mizell, MPemba, Moore and several other highly rated players. So I guess since the staff wanted them they fit our system right? That’s what you fail to realize. You think Heupel and the staff are just throwing out offers to blue chip players that are not committable? So are you telling me in a hypothetical world, if we would have gotten Tate, Innis, Kasper, Mauigoa, Mitchell, MPemba, Benson and Jefferson that the staf wouldn’t have taken them? You know good and well they would have. Why? I guess those guys just so happen to fit our system.

Bottom line is I want to win football games. I want TN to be an elite football powerhouse. And whether you like it or not, you don’t become a powerhouse in the SEC with recruiting classes that have more 3* than 4&5* players. Sorry but the data backs that up.

So you can have your opinion that we don’t need highly ranked players all you want. And if you eventually are proven correct, then I will gladly congratulate you and say I was dead wrong. And no because I want more blue chip players doesn’t mean I am crapping on the lower ranked guys. As I have said, I really like this class. But yes I want more blue chip players.

Would you have wanted Trevor Lawrence? Or were you ok with Butch telling him he didn’t fit his system? Would you have wanted Bryce Young? Jordan Davis? Nakobe Dean? Will Anderson? How about Evan Neal? Or Christian Wilkins? Tee Higgins? Travis Etienne? Joey or Nick Bosa? Chase Young? The list goes on and on. These are/were blue chip players. And they are the types of guys you need on your team to win championships. Sorry if that bothers you but it’s true. If you think differently, then tell me the team that has lower ranked players that’s won national championships.

Last edited:
You want the most talented for our system. Well it sure seems like the staff wanted the same guys that OSU, Bama, UGA and Clemson wanted for their system. Wonder why that is? You are like others that you just can’t see what’s staring you right in the face.

Heupel and the staff are recruiting guys like Tate, Innis, Kasper, Mauigoa, Bradley, Nico, Simmons, Mizell, MPemba, Moore and several other highly rated players. So I guess since the staff wanted them they fit our system right? That’s what you fail to realize. You think Heupel and the staff are just throwing out offers to blue chip players that are not committable? So are you telling me in a hypothetical world, if we would have gotten Tate, Innis, Kasper, Mauigoa, Mitchell, MPemba, Benson and Jefferson that the staf wouldn’t have taken them? You know good and well they would have. Why? I guess those guys just so happen to fit our system.

Bottom line is I want to win football games. I want TN to be an elite football powerhouse. And whether you like it or not, you don’t become a powerhouse in the SEC with recruiting classes that have more 3* than 4&5* players. Sorry but the data backs that up.

So you can have your opinion that we don’t need highly ranked players all you want. And if you eventually are proven correct, then I will gladly congratulate you and say I was dead wrong. And no because I want more blue chip players doesn’t mean I am crapping on the lower ranked guys. As I have said, I really like this class. But yes I want more blue chip players.

Would you have wanted Trevor Lawrence? Or were you ok with Butch telling him he didn’t fit his system? Would you have wanted Bryce Young? Jordan Davis? Nakobe Dean? Will Anderson? How about Evan Neal? Or Christian Wilkins? Tee Higgins? Travis Etienne? Joey or Nick Bosa? Chase Young? The list goes on and on. These are/were blue chip players. And they are the types of guys you need on your team to win championships. Sorry if that bothers you but it’s true. If you think differently, then tell me the team that has lower ranked players that’s won national championships.
Not ok with trotting out board generated FICTION to support a personal opinion. Trot out a legit source not named IAmADamnVol who’s reported that yarn. Butch was a documented failure. Making up stuff doesn’t make that moreso.

If the recent “adjustment” in rankings mid-summer doesn’t tell you how subjective and political the rankings are, nothing will.

What is wrong with you?

I just said that the highly rated guys are generally among the most talented. Thus, it makes sense that the staff would target some of them. You just seem to think that there are no highly talented recruits that aren't as highly rated. Thus... And please understand this... It makes sense that the staff would want some of the highly rated players. And that they would ALSO want some of the less highly rated players.

SO...

You may see a class like the one we see building now, that has highly rated players and less highly rated players.

Your blind allegiance to the thought that rating directly == talent blinds you from understanding what others are saying.

Don't you think you are contradicting yourself here?

"Guaranteed really good player" is basically the definition of a five star. Personally, I think it's possible he doesn't do much of anything at Texas. I think he has some pretty major red flags in his HS career.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The debate over whether Arch Manning stays at No. 1 will go on, and there might not be a perfect resolution in sight. He’s probably not doing any national events or all-star games. Oregon commit Dante Moore was phenomenal at the OT7 event in Las Vegas and the Elite 11. USC pledge Malachi Nelson was terrific at the Elite 11. Tennessee commit Nico Iamaleava has been great at numerous events but didn’t participate at Elite 11.
Tuesdays with Gorney: A look at the top of 2023 position groups

VN Store

Back