‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

So is Sprye one of those boosters for the University? Just learning , that’s all.
The new rule defines collectives as boosters.

Spyre is not considered a “collective” it is an actual business organization. They will not suffer any repercussions from the NCAA.

The NCAA is trying to stop what Texas A&M Boosters did, which was form a collective and gather money and then basically just hand that money to recruits without any intent on utilizing actual NIL Deals. Texas A&M is already under investigation for this.

As far as Nico’s deal goes if the NCAA tried to touch that, they would get sued to high heaven.

The new rule defines collectives as boosters.
Of course it does.
The NCAA prevented players from being able to earn money for years, fought hard against the law suits to make sure it stayed that way and lost, the multi million per year coaches and universities are afraid all this money going to players is going to take some of theirs and are teaming up with the NCAA to make it “against the rules “ for the players to get paid by the ONLY ones that would want to pay them.

Reactions: VolsdeepVFL
Collectives, aka boosters, are not allowed to communicate with recruits per this, only established student athletes already on campus. How they establish this, I haven’t the foggiest idea. They’ve just opened up another can of worms

Of course it does.
The NCAA prevented players from being able to earn money for years, fought hard against the law suits to make sure it stayed that way and lost, the multi million per year coaches and universities are afraid all this money going to players is going to take some of theirs and are teaming up with the NCAA to make it “against the rules “ for the players to get paid by the ONLY ones that would want to pay them.
I dont think its as much about money as it is power.

Collectives, aka boosters, are not allowed to communicate with recruits per this, only established student athletes already on campus. How they establish this, I haven’t the foggiest idea. They’ve just opened up another can of worms
The ncaa’s definition of a booster is ridiculous…calling a business a booster is not going to fly in court but regardless these recruits will continue to get persuaded by legit nil deals they might not be able to sign the contract out of high school but they will once they enroll so good luck to the ncaa trying to enforce that…the fact that the ncaa can’t abolish collectives means they have no power

Last edited:
Also if Spyre is not allowed to talk to recruits about NIL that just means that spyre will be talking to said recruits parents/handler….so many ways around this rule lol

Tenn Government passed laws that allow Spyre to be legit and ability to talk to coaches. Many states passed similar laws that promote NIL deals and made them easier to achieve. My guess is that UTK saw this coming and established a legitimate way to get this done thru current NCAA laws. Current laws do not allow boosters direct contact with players. I believe the NIL deal is supposed to start after a player enters college. If challenged, i do not believe courts will allow this restriction to NIL. Your name and image is yours. No age limit in making money off NIL. Also, if Spyre is a legit business, NCAA will not be able to restrict a business from talking with a player about selling his NIL. JMHO

Tenn Government passed laws that allow Spyre to be legit and ability to talk to coaches. Many states passed similar laws that promote NIL deals and made them easier to achieve. My guess is that UTK saw this coming and established a legitimate way to get this done thru current NCAA laws. Current laws do not allow boosters direct contact with players. I believe the NIL deal is supposed to start after a player enters college. If challenged, i do not believe courts will allow this restriction to NIL. Your name and image is yours. No age limit in making money off NIL. Also, if Spyre is a legit business, NCAA will not be able to restrict a business from talking with a player about selling his NIL. JMHO

Agree. I would clean up this term above though as Bylaw or Rule as it has no legal binding over state or federal law that may supercede it. NCAA is fighting a losing battle here if they pursue this. Again, 9-0 in Supreme Court, that doesn’t happen every day!

Spyre is not considered a “collective” it is an actual business organization. They will not suffer any repercussions from the NCAA.

The NCAA is trying to stop what Texas A&M Boosters did, which was form a collective and gather money and then basically just hand that money to recruits without any intent on utilizing actual NIL Deals. Texas A&M is already under investigation for this.

As far as Nico’s deal goes if the NCAA tried to touch that, they would get sued to high heaven.
Then why is on3 reporting they are a collective? I'm just trying to figure all this out.

Tennessee Volunteers NIL Collective: Spyre Sports Group

Then why is on3 reporting they are a collective? I'm just trying to figure all this out.

Tennessee Volunteers NIL Collective: Spyre Sports Group
TIFWISW.

This a coverage piece and Spyre is a question mark for the writer.

He has not done enough research to validate his use of the term "collective"
IOW, using dynamite to fish.

The NCAA may go after the Tennessee Model, but my best guess is that they will not.
Many would like to see them go after the Tennessee Model, but their case would be rejected and it is a No Win Case because Spyre was built solidly and basically is a business with LLC status. Approved by the State.

The NCAA if they have any sense will take the easier route, but it is the NCAA so who knows.
The easier targets would be Texas A&M, Miami, USC, and BYU.

TIFWISW.

This a coverage piece and Spyre is a question mark for the writer.

He has not done enough research to validate his use of the term "collective"
IOW, using dynamite to fish.

The NCAA may go after the Tennessee Model, but my best guess is that they will not.
Many would like to see them go after the Tennessee Model, but their case would be rejected and it is a No Win Case because Spyre was built solidly and basically is a business with LLC status. Approved by the State.

The NCAA if they have any sense will take the easier route, but it is the NCAA so who knows.
The easier targets would be Texas A&M, Miami, USC, and BYU.
There really are no easy targets though, if they go after anyone this will go back to court. The ncaa just keeps proving themselves less necessary to the future of college athletics.

There really are no easy targets though, if they go after anyone this will go back to court. The ncaa just keeps proving themselves less necessary to the future of college athletics.
The ncaa/staff didn't want this. They don't even have the manpower to enforce current bylaws.

This is all the real power behind the ncaa, the university leaders, shoving this down everyone's throats to try and scare everyone, even when the internal staff is trying to tell them they don't have the manpower. It's absurd theater, really. Unfortunately it will be hard to ever take the university leaders out of power.

I agree but the USC and Pittsburgh debacle plus Miami issues occurred in violation of the old rules. The NCAA will try to sling this crap into the new NIL format. Plus Texas A&M will be looked at because of suspicious Booster involvement.

It is funny how Alabama reversed it state law governing NIL, plus SEC Sankey runs to Washington and the fact that Moore GA President is head of the committee to revise NIL governance by the NCAA.

Greed and Power is a death blow and will lead to true definition that the NCAA cannot do the job that they were chartered to do.

30 States have NIL legislation in place of which the NCAA has zero Control over.

What is the NCAA have left to do? They came late to the Party, now they need to determine if they are going to stay and enjoy it and work with everybody to get it under control or attempt to take it over without any authority to do so.

The ncaa/staff didn't want this. They don't even have the manpower to enforce current bylaws.

This is all the real power behind the ncaa, the university leaders, shoving this down everyone's throats to try and scare everyone, even when the internal staff is trying to tell them they don't have the manpower. It's absurd theater, really. Unfortunately it will be hard to ever take the university leaders out of power.
Headed by the president of UGA. It takes a special kind of self-delusion (let’s just call it fraud) to intimate that this is designed to protect the INTEGRITY of the college game, when the ringleaders have been generating basically unshared cartel money for half a century. Hubbs used two of my own personal talking points on the podcast today. The market will correct itself as this proceeds. Why? Because shelling out money for every average to below transfer is unsustainable. It’d be preferable that the OG Cartel get out of the way…but not necessary.

I agree but the USC and Pittsburgh debacle plus Miami issues occurred in violation of the old rules. The NCAA will try to sling this crap into the new NIL format. Plus Texas A&M will be looked at because of suspicious Booster involvement.

It is funny how Alabama reversed it state law governing NIL, plus SEC Sankey runs to Washington and the fact that Moore GA President is head of the committee to revise NIL governance by the NCAA.

Greed and Power is a death blow and will lead to true definition that the NCAA cannot do the job that they were chartered to do.

30 States have NIL legislation in place of which the NCAA has zero Control over.

What is the NCAA have left to do? They came late to the Party, now they need to determine if they are going to stay and enjoy it and work with everybody to get it under control or attempt to take it over without any authority to do so.
The tampering by USC if they can prove it is a completely different case to me. I doubt anything happens with it though.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
The tampering by USC if they can prove it is a completely different case to me. I doubt anything happens with it though.
This is my point exactly, desperate people (NCAA) do desperate things and will attempt to say it was a NIL type Proposition. I agree it is a separate case but you never know....

Here's what is funny as hell to me.... If not for the rumored (unconfirmed) $8million Nico deal, most would still be talking about how bad Spyre is. If you look at it realistically, Spyre refuses to take part in any bidding wars. Yet, most of the fan base is on the whole "It's all about money, and we can buy who we really want." Presently, it looks like the only players that Spyre has played a major role in getting are PWO's. They may be able to get enough to cover tuition and other expenses. Current players can get the same amount of money, and because they're on scholarship, it's pure profit. But the whole narrative of giving the top rated recruits and transfers top dollar is laughable at the present time. We haven't secured the signature from anybody whose primary reason for picking a school was NIL. Quite honestly, I'm happy about that.

Here's what is funny as hell to me.... If not for the rumored (unconfirmed) $8million Nico deal, most would still be talking about how bad Spyre is. If you look at it realistically, Spyre refuses to take part in any bidding wars. Yet, most of the fan base is on the whole "It's all about money, and we can buy who we really want." Presently, it looks like the only players that Spyre has played a major role in getting are PWO's. They may be able to get enough to cover tuition and other expenses. Current players can get the same amount of money, and because they're on scholarship, it's pure profit. But the whole narrative of giving the top rated recruits and transfers top dollar is laughable at the present time. We haven't secured the signature from anybody whose primary reason for picking a school was NIL. Quite honestly, I'm happy about that.

It’s all a mess and it’ll only get worse before it gets better. There is already main page material on star players threatening to leave if they don’t get a big payday.

And who’s to say that these businesses won’t create loopholes that will play X player to walk on and cover his schooling.

Headed by the president of UGA. It takes a special kind of self-delusion (let’s just call it fraud) to intimate that this is designed to protect the INTEGRITY of the college game, when the ringleaders have been generating basically unshared cartel money for half a century. Hubbs used two of my own personal talking points on the podcast today. The market will correct itself as this proceeds. Why? Because shelling out money for every average to below transfer is unsustainable. It’d be preferable that the OG Cartel get out of the way…but not necessary.
Agree with this 1000%. There will be the initial frenzy and free for all we are now experiencing and then things will normalize. Nico's Contract will be the exception not the rule and 5-10 years from now the big contracts will only be going to guys after their freshman years when they have actually played a snap. Big recruits will get some decent deals but not world rockers. Then if they prove themselves they cash in their Soph-Junior years. From a football perspective. Honestly, I think NIL will only really consistently generate big money in football for players. Because of the nature of the sports. In Baseball and Mens Basketball, the top guys can pretty much go pro straight from HS or one and done. All other sports don't generate enough revenue to justify much NIL money though there will be some of course.

Reactions: butchna
NCAA and Colleges are gonna wind up getting sued by players saying they're more of an employee than a student. . Schools and NCAA can kill that noise that students are amateurs.
Nothing amateur about schools making 100's of millions off these players, at least when it comes to Football and Basketball. They're gonna say screw your scholarship, pay me and I'll pay my own way if I have to.
Best course is to let the market correct itself and work towards fixing the portal and transfers.

VN Store

Back