'21 CA QB Miller Moss (USC commit)

For the click impaired, re Miller Moss:

"The 6-foot-2, 197-pound quarterback has already taken unofficial visits to California, UCLA, Stanford, and USC in 2020, and it’s likely he’ll take several more trips across the country once the dead period lifts in March. Moss recently accepted an invite to participate in the Under Armour All-American Game. As a junior this past season, he completed 67.4 percent of his 319 pass attempts for 3,118 yards, 28 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions according to MaxPreps. He also ran for 105 yards and two scores. Moss can absolutely sling the ball, and he has a cannon of an arm. He launches the ball down the field and completes deep passes with ease. He can make a number of other throws as well, and he’s not just a deep ball passer. He can also move around in the pocket well and has quick enough feet to avoid trouble. He’s harder to bring down than you might expect, too."

The four-star Class of 2021 quarterback received a scholarship offer from the Vols on Monday, and while his recruitment already has started to heat up, he said he’s interested in the Vols and “very likely” to visit them after talking with Tennessee quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney.

“I had a great conversation with both guys, and I’m really excited about the opportunity,” said Miller. “I obviously play for Coach Casey for my high-school career, but our families have known one another since I was about 7 years old, so I know the history really, really well. … With both of my coaches playing there, it’s obviously really interesting, and they can provide unique perspective into the school and the football program.”

The 6-foot-2.5, 195-pound Moss said he’s already looking into whether he might be able to visit Tennessee while he’s in the area for a 7-on-7 tournament in Gatlinburg, Tenn., on Feb. 29 — the final day of the February dead period for recruiting.

“I mean, honestly, talking with both coaches gave me a lot more interest in the school,” Moss said, referring to Weinke and Chaney. “My 7-on-7 team’s actually taking a trip out there for a tournament in Tennessee, so hopefully I’ll be able to set up a visit then. It’s at the end of February, so I’m sure how that kind of works with the (dead period). That was something I was definitely thinking about.

“But I had great conversations with both coaches, and I loved kind of what they were talking about in terms of developing their quarterbacks and everything that goes into that. I’m super excited about it, without question.” Regardless of whether he can stop at Tennessee during his trip to Gatlinburg later this month, he said “I think it’s very likely” that he will visit the Vols at some point. “Like I said, I didn’t know much about the program,” Moss said. “But just talking with both coaches really, really got me excited about the school.”

Moss said Weinke and Chaney told him they were impressed by what they had seen from him on film, but they talked “more about kind of how they develop quarterbacks and what makes Tennessee special. They said that their guy was graduating in one more year, and then they had a bunch of young guys in development or whatever,” Moss said, referring to Tennessee’s longtime starting quarterback, fifth-year senior Jarrett Guarantano. “I think there’s a lot of opportunity to be had at that school, for sure.”

More than 20 schools have extended offers to Moss, who said he was “kind of born and raised” in Southern California and still lives “five minutes from the beach.” But he doesn’t expect geography to be a major factor in his college decision. “I mean, at the end of the day, all that stuff is great,” he said of living in California. “But what’s really important is finding the best fit for me, so whether that’s New York, Florida, Seattle, Texas — whatever it is — I need to do what’s best for me, and I know I’ll always have a great home base and support system back home. But it’s really about me finding the best fit for me and my career and where I see myself going.”

The Clausens’ past experiences at Tennessee could make the Vols a more intriguing option. “I know Coach Casey met his wife when he was at Tennessee,” Moss said. “I know that they were very, very, very good when Coach Casey was playing there. He told me a bunch of stories about different games he ended up playing in. I think he played against one of those great Miami teams and almost beat them, had some pretty crazy games against LSU, if I remember correctly.

“But a lot of the stuff that he’s tried to teach me and just kind of through my development comes from experiences that he gained playing on such a big stage in Tennessee, so I think a lot of that knowledge has been imparted to me. And I couldn’t be more grateful for the experience that he’s had because it’s helped me a lot, just in my own development.”

Moss said he expects to pick a school “definitely before my senior season,” but he’s also not rushing to a decision. “Kind of around this time — this month and probably the month previous — it’s gotten a little hectic,” he said. “I’m trying to just keep a level head about it and really, really kind of narrow this down as these next few weeks go on. In terms of specific schools, I’m not really sure about that as of now. But I’m hearing a lot from a lot of different schools, so we’ll kind of see. I mean, I’m super grateful to be in the position that I’m in.

“I want to play my senior year committed. But there’s no specific date in my head, as of now. I’m really just going to kind of go through the process and enjoy it as much as I can.”

At 6 '2", I worry a bit about his field view once he gets behind an SEC line with SEC sized DL rushing him. But I'll let the coaches do the evaluation. We'll see.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I know it’s recruiting speak, but the “OUR GUY will be gone after this year.” will hearten the anti-JG’ites, and the “rest of the QB’s are young guys developing.” won’t sit well with the fans of the other candidates. 😏

Reactions: bagofvols
I know it’s recruiting speak, but the “OUR GUY will be gone after this year.” will hearten the anti-JG’ites, and the “rest of the QB’s are young guys developing.” won’t sit well with the fans of the other candidates. 😏
Yeah reading that was a gut punch, also it's gonna be real tough to land a top QB in 21' if Bailey excels.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
This kid looks good on his junior HUDL. Not sure he will come here with our roster situation. Will probably look for more of an open roster situation. Also not sure that Rick left here on great terms since Fulmer benches him at the beginning of that 2005 season. IIRC Daddy Clausen soured on UT that year.
But he would be great for creating competition at QB if we could land him.

VN Store

Back