'25 CA QB Madden Iamaleava

Man I would hate to be Heupel and Halze. GMac, Knight and Madden. I think Madden is gonna shoot up the rankings. He may end up being a 5* when it’s all said and done. So if you are Heupel what do you do? What if one of these QBs want to commit later this year? Do you take the commitment and run with it? Or do you wait and evaluate?

3 stud QBs to choose from. What a great problem to have 😎😎

Man I would hate to be Heupel and Halze. GMac, Knight and Madden. I think Madden is gonna shoot up the rankings. He may end up being a 5* when it’s all said and done. So if you are Heupel what do you do? What if one of these QBs want to commit later this year? Do you take the commitment and run with it? Or do you wait and evaluate?

You take who’s ready to commit. Then you see how things shake out.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols

When was the last time that Tennessee had the potential to have a stacked quarterback room?

Brandon Stewart and Peyton Manning come to mind.

That lasted whole months! 😳
Jerry Colquitt -- perhaps the greatest Vol QB to practically never play -- was the starter that year. He had been backup to Shuler the previous two years (and a lot of people thought them neck and neck), and he could have started a lot of places imo.

Colquitt finally got his chance to start in '94, and immediately suffered that horrible ACL injury on the 7th play on opening day at UCLA.

That QB room was (in order): Colquitt, future MLB great Todd Helton, Manning, and Stewart. I think Colquitt would have had a Tony Robinson kind of year in '94 and be remembered as a great. Colquitt was actually a bigger deal than Stewart imo. Colquitt was a good influence on Manning, too, because (it's said) he prepared every day as if he were the starter his entire stay in Knoxville.

Last edited:
Jerry Colquitt -- perhaps the greatest Vol QB to practically never play -- was the starter that year. He had been backup to Shuler the previous two years (and a lot of people thought them neck and neck), and he could have started a lot of places imo.

Colquitt finally got his chance to start in '94, and immediately suffered that horrible ACL injury on the 7th play on opening day at UCLA.

That QB room was Colquitt, MLB great Todd Helton, Manning, and Stewart. I think Colquitt would have had a Tony Robinson kind of year in '94 and be remembered as a great. Colquitt was actually a bigger deal than Stewart imo.
I remember. He came out blazing on that first drive against UCLA. True dual threat.

I remember. He came out blazing on that first drive against UCLA. True dual threat.
While we're on the subject, do you remember what a skinny lil freshman Peyton was?! 😂 I always think of that when people wring hands about how the kids we recruit now at QB need to put on weight!

Last edited:

That QB room was (in order): Colquitt, future MLB great Todd Helton, Manning, and Stewart. I think Colquitt would have had a Tony Robinson kind of year in '94 and be remembered as a great. Colquitt was actually a bigger deal than Stewart imo. Colquitt was a good influence on Manning, too, because (it's said) he prepared every day as if he were the starter his entire stay in Knoxville.

Colquitt was still drafted in the 6th round by the Panthers. If he’d not gotten hurt, that 94 season would’ve been special.

While we're on the subject, do you remember what a skinny lil freshman Peyton was?! 😂 I always think of that when people wring hands about how the kids we recruit now at QB need to put on weight!
First thing I said to my mom! I was just back to the states from Germany and on a month’s leave in Chattanooga. Thought if they hit him at the wrong angle, that neck would snap off. Branndon Stewart looked the better of the two.

Probably taking 1 QB in 2025
Unless we are planning on taking a transfer qb or two, we’ll likely be taking 2. We will only have Nico and Merklinger after the 2024 season, and most teams usually like to have 4 scholarship qbs. Realistically we will likely take either GMac/knight and Madden as well. Or if both GMac and Knight want in then we will take them instead

First thing I said to my mom! I was just back to the states from Germany and on a month’s leave in Chattanooga. Thought if they hit him at the wrong angle, that neck would snap off. Branndon Stewart looked the better of the two.
I was just thinking before I read your comment “man do admit to all of Volnation that I thought Stewart was gonna be the man instead of Peyton?” For a few games I thought that was gonna be the case. A fellow Vol fan I used to work with and I were talking about it one day and he said he knew from attending a game and watching their sideline demeanor that Peyton was the one. Well, more accurately that Stewart wasn’t.

I was just thinking before I read your comment “man do admit to all of Volnation that I thought Stewart was gonna be the man instead of Peyton?” For a few games I thought that was gonna be the case. A fellow Vol fan I used to work with and I were talking about it one day and he said he knew from attending a game and watching their sideline demeanor that Peyton was the one. Well, more accurately that Stewart wasn’t.
Wasn’t my guy til the Mississippi State game…then I never looked back.

During Nico recruit, the rumor was that Madden has higher upside.

Reactions: hooter vol
Not a chance lol, if that was the case then he would’ve seen a lot more playing time, been ranked higher when the rankings dropped, and/or went to another school to start so Nico could as well.
So, "upside" generally refers to future possibilities as opposed to present conditions.

But, Nico and Madden's dad said last year that Madden is further along at this stage of his development than Nico was. Give that whatever value you want or don't want to give.

“Nico being such a great kid, son and brother, he has been really helpful,” Nicholaus said. “There’s only so many things dad can say, you know, and then Nico comes in after and really helps out with that. … Madden has a cheat code with Nico. Madden is ahead of the game. He knows more tricks of the trade than any normal 2025 kid does. Madden is a little further along in the game than Nico was as a freshman.

So, "upside" generally refers to future possibilities as opposed to present conditions.

But, Nico and Madden's dad said last year that Madden is further along at this stage of his development than Nico was. Give that whatever value you want or don't want to give.
nico effect?

That’s not upside..that’s saying nico has brought him along faster and has been a big help. Nico has huge upside, much more than madden.

VN Store

Back