DUAL
6-0
CLASS OF 20
LOS ANGELES, CA
(CATHEDRAL)

Rivals.com

Bryce Young, Cathedral, Dual-Threat Quarterback

Bryce Young - Hudl

Per Adam Gorney of Rivals...Vols offered and this kid has 5 star potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
Seems like this kid doesn't fit our typical profile for QB height wise... He is only 6'0.

If our O-Line continues to get any bigger I'd assume this kid would have issues seeing the field. (vision wise)

This kid is a baller at what's perhaps the best HS football program in Southern California, if not the entire state. With him just being a sophmore in high school, I wouldn't get too caught up in his height at this stage.

Seems like this kid doesn't fit our typical profile for QB height wise... He is only 6'0.

If our O-Line continues to get any bigger I'd assume this kid would have issues seeing the field. (vision wise)

lF ONLY FRESHMAN GREW WHILE IN HlGH SCHOOL!!!!

Reactions: 5 people
This kid is a baller at what's perhaps the best HS football program in Southern California, if not the entire state. With him just being a sophmore in high school, I wouldn't get too caught up in his height at this stage.

This is good info. Thanks for that. Didn't have any idea on the type of school he actually attended.

I grew 1 1/2 inches in college. It's different for everyone.

Funny you mention that lol, I once upon a time attended the Bobby Bowden Passing Camp when he would have Jeff and Tommy there.

I was doing the camp as a WR, I ran a 4.49 and could jump pretty high at the time, but I was undersized weighing about 136lbs as a sophomore in High School. I was benching 215, squatting 315, and power cleaning 250.

Anyways, after about 30 minutes of working against the corners that they were scouting (I was making catches against) Jeff Bowden calls me over (I am only 5'7) and asks me where I'm from etc. Etc. And then asks me what grade I was in. It was at that point I realized I was too short to play D1 football lol.

I assume he thought I was an 8th grader and had room to grow when he called me over.

Funny you mention that lol, I once upon a time attended the Bobby Bowden Passing Camp when he would have Jeff and Tommy there.

I was doing the camp as a WR, I ran a 4.49 and could jump pretty high at the time, but I was undersized weighing about 136lbs as a sophomore in High School. I was benching 215, squatting 315, and power cleaning 250.

Anyways, after about 30 minutes of working against the corners that they were scouting (I was making catches against) Jeff Bowden calls me over (I am only 5'7) and asks me where I'm from etc. Etc. And then asks me what grade I was in. It was at that point I realized I was too short to play D1 football lol.

I assume he thought I was an 8th grader and had room to grow when he called me over.

:eek:lol: cool story bro.

seriously though, that's good stuff....:)

:eek:lol: cool story bro.

seriously though, that's good stuff....:)

Lol. Gotta keep people entertained. But that is definitely a True story FSUs campus was very nice.... Except walking from the dorms under an almost completely pitch dark black tunnel to the practice fields.....

As for this QB from what an above poster said sounds like a pretty legit kid.

Just for clarification, Bryce has played his first 2 years at Cathedral, a well respected program in the SoCal area. However he's transferring to play his final 2 years at Mater Dei, which is the program I referred to as maybe the best in California (It's typically a toss-up between De La Salle and Mater Dei for this honor).

Top 2020 quarterback Bryce Young transferring to Mater Dei - MaxPreps

Mater Dei is basically USC's QB pipeline. This includes Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, JT Daniels this year. Colt Brennan is another relatively recent QB from the school. Certainly this is someone that Helton was keeping an eye on back at SC. Hopefully he can get this young man to listen to us and get him on campus. This is where Pruitt's time as a high school coach can yield results. Any kind of pipeline we could build into an elite program like Mater Dei would be fantastic.

Lol. Gotta keep people entertained. But that is definitely a True story FSUs campus was very nice.... Except walking from the dorms under an almost completely pitch dark black tunnel to the practice fields.....

As for this QB from what an above poster said sounds like a pretty legit kid.

probably is. i haven't watched anything on him and i don't get too worked up on qb's. i think it's one of the hardest things to project is how a hs qb projects in college, especially at this level. save maybe a handful of truly "elite" guys, i feel like a lot of times it's like throwing darts. systems, playbooks, competition level, talent level on his team, experience, leadership....so many things other than just mechanics and footwork.

so if our coach wants him, i'm just gonna trust he's pretty good at his job, and go with that.:thumbsup:

Baily or Young? probably either one would do well here.

Just for clarification, Bryce has played his first 2 years at Cathedral, a well respected program in the SoCal area. However he's transferring to play his final 2 years at Mater Dei, which is the program I referred to as maybe the best in California (It's typically a toss-up between De La Salle and Mater Dei for this honor).

Top 2020 quarterback Bryce Young transferring to Mater Dei - MaxPreps

Mater Dei is basically USC's QB pipeline. This includes Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, JT Daniels this year. Colt Brennan is another relatively recent QB from the school. Certainly this is someone that Helton was keeping an eye on back at SC. Hopefully he can get this young man to listen to us and get him on campus. This is where Pruitt's time as a high school coach can yield results. Any kind of pipeline we could build into an elite program like Mater Dei would be fantastic.
:thumbsup:

probably is. i haven't watched anything on him and i don't get too worked up on qb's. i think it's one of the hardest things to project is how a hs qb projects in college, especially at this level. save maybe a handful of truly "elite" guys, i feel like a lot of times it's like throwing darts. systems, playbooks, competition level, talent level on his team, experience, leadership....so many things other than just mechanics and footwork.

so if our coach wants him, i'm just gonna trust he's pretty good at his job, and go with that.:thumbsup:

Baily or Young? probably either one would do well here.

Agreed. QBs are so variable it's hard to predict anything.

One of my buddies was 5’10” and weighed 145lbs when we graduated. Couple of years ago he was at 6’3” 285lbs and benching 535lbs.

Guy we went to elementary school with was nicknamed big bird because he was so much taller than the rest of us. He moved off in 4th grade. Ran into him a few years back. He hits me around my chin. Said he never grew any taller after 6th grade. Everyone is different.

I was trying to think of a current NFL comparison, and I started with Russell Wilson, but decided he’s more like Drew Brees. More run to throw than run if it’s open. Some of this kid’s best quarterbacking are short checkdowns. Kinda rare to see somebody this young looking for alternative recievers while scrambling. Nice arm with big velocity and accuracy.

It’s no wonder Helton and Co. are interested.

Timing is everything.

Butch would have offered you on orange carpet day and had you running jet sweeps and bubble screens nonstop

Timing is everything.

Butch would have offered you on orange carpet day and had you running jet sweeps and bubble screens nonstop

Lol well I am glad we have a coach that would only offer a guy like that if he ran a 4.2/4.3 lol

One of my buddies was 5’10” and weighed 145lbs when we graduated. Couple of years ago he was at 6’3” 285lbs and benching 535lbs.

Guy we went to elementary school with was nicknamed big bird because he was so much taller than the rest of us. He moved off in 4th grade. Ran into him a few years back. He hits me around my chin. Said he never grew any taller after 6th grade. Everyone is different.

A high school friend was 5'2', 98lbs when he got his TDL (age 16). When he had it renewed two years later, he was 5'10", 150lbs...

Myself, on the other hand, grew just ove an inch after 9th grade...

Humans are strange critters...

A high school friend was 5'2', 98lbs when he got his TDL (age 16). When he had it renewed two years later, he was 5'10", 150lbs...

Myself, on the other hand, grew just ove an inch after 9th grade...

Humans are strange critters...

When I was a Freshman in HS, I was 5-2 and weighted 109; when I was a Senior, I was 6-2 and weighted 190. Some of us are late bloomers but stay around for a long time.

Reactions: LittleVol
Flurry of crystal balls to Alabama

We were never in on this one but it’s noteworthy that he’s likely their next 3 year starter after Tua declares.

VN Store

Back