'20 CA OLB Kourt Williams (Ohio St commit)

EdEcEko77

Elite ★★★★★ Poster
gubj0au97jh8boz3gsx7

6’1” 216lbs
Bellflower, CA
(St John Bosco)

Kourt Williams, St. John Bosco, Safety
Kourt Williams II, 2020 Safety - Rivals
Kourt Williams II on Hudl

Vols offered

Last edited:
Any other west coast kids that we should be taking notice of besides Washington?
Simonton said:
Vols really like OLB Kourt Williams.
Believe this guy has the highest SPARQ score among all the openings so far this year at 137, which would rank him 5th on last year's class behind Pappoe, Dax Hill, Stingley and Nolan Smith. Hopefully we can get him on campus soon as we're in dire need of edge rushers.

Reactions: jakez4ut
After using his first two official visits to travel to Texas A&M and Oklahoma the past two weekends, Kourt Williams now is starting to make plans for at least a couple of his three remaining official visits. There’s a chance Tennessee could get one of them. The four-star Class of 2020 linebacker from St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif., said he has stayed in contact with the Vols since getting a scholarship offer from them in late January, and they’re now in the running to host him on an official visit as early as this summer.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Williams recently has mentioned Tennessee as one of the schools he might visit, and he said he “maybe” will make the trip to Knoxville sometime next month, although nothing is “solidified yet." "I need to talk with Coach (Tee) Martin about that, but it’s definitely still something on my radar,” Williams said, referring to the Vols’ first-year wide receivers coach. “As of right now, they’re one of the schools I’m considering (for a visit).”

Williams said Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon, UCLA and Washington are among the teams currently recruiting him hardest. Coming off his visits to Texas A&M the weekend of April 27 and Oklahoma last weekend, he said he’s already scheduled to take an official visit to Ohio State the weekend of June 21. He said he hears from Tennessee “about once a week,” talking with Martin, first-year defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley and head coach Jeremy Pruitt. The Vols have told him, he said, that they like “just how I play, and the position I play is the same position they have at their school called the Star position — kind of, like, a DB/linebacker who covers slot and all that.”

“They really like my football IQ and my size and my skill set, and I can definitely (make) an impact early if I go there,” said Williams, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 200 overall prospect and No. 19 outside linebacker in the 2020 class. “I kind of hear some schools that want me at linebacker, safety. But it’s only a few schools that have me playing kind of that Star position. Most schools are either recruiting me as just a linebacker or just a safety.”

He said he’s interested in visiting Tennessee because “they’re a factor in the SEC,” and he likes what he has heard from the Vols over the past few months. “I know the SEC is big-time football. That’s the best conference in the country,” said Williams, who was timed at 4.60 seconds in the 40-yard dash during Los Angeles-area The Opening Regional in February. “Just talking with their coaches, they have a lot of experience. I know some of them came from Alabama, and some of the philosophies they have and taking them with them to Tennessee really seems intriguing. … I’ve definitely seen them play on TV before. I haven’t seen much of their facilities or their academics and on-campus activities. But I’m looking into that right now.”

Williams said Martin, who previously coached at USC, is serving as his primary recruiter for Tennessee. Williams said he remembers meeting Martin during some of his past visits with the Trojans, although Martin “didn’t really recruit me” there. The Vols’ defensive coaches, including Pruitt and Ansley, are among the reasons Williams is intrigued by Tennessee. “I know Coach Ansley, he comes from Alabama,” Williams said. “And I know he’s coached Minkah Fitzpatrick, Landon Collins — all those guys — and he brings a lot of experience to the table. He knows what it takes to get to the next level.

“And just Coach Pruitt, talking to my coach, he knows a lot about their school, and he’s been telling me that Coach Pruitt is probably one of the best linebacker coaches out there. He brings to the table a lot of intelligence and experience with that position, and he also knows what it takes to get to the next level. “I’d say I’ve talked with Coach Pruitt a few times on the phone. … I mean, he’s honest, authentic. He gets to the point and he wants you to know how he feels. He doesn’t want to sugarcoat anything. He lets you know what’s really happening and how he feels, so take it or leave it.”

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Visiting this weekend

If he does make it in, then I feel we have a decent shot with this kid. When he sees our facilities and compares it to West Coast stuff, only Oregon is going to compare favorably. He will see and talk to great defensive minded coaches, paired with a great football oriented school where he can work towards getting to the NFL.

Reactions: Devo182
If he does make it in, then I feel we have a decent shot with this kid. When he sees our facilities and compares it to West Coast stuff, only Oregon is going to compare favorably. He will see and talk to great defensive minded coaches, paired with a great football oriented school where he can work towards getting to the NFL.

Uhh he visited Texas A&M who just built a brand new stadium locker room etc..... just saying. Tennessee’s facilities are state of the art in most aspects but Texas A&Ms are state of the art, state of the art lol.

Uhh he visited Texas A&M who just built a brand new stadium locker room etc..... just saying. Tennessee’s facilities are state of the art in most aspects but Texas A&Ms are state of the art, state of the art lol.
A&M was playing catch up to the rest of us. kudos to them for doing it. but they were in catch up mode.

i don't think there's anyone we don't compare favorably with when it comes to overall resources and facilities.

just need to get one of those slides tho.........................

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
A&M was playing catch up to the rest of us. kudos to them for doing it. but they were in catch up mode.

i don't think there's anyone we don't compare favorably with when it comes to overall resources and facilities.

just need to get one of those slides tho.........................
Oregon and A&M are just a notch above everyone else imo. Clemson gets a lot of love in facilities but honestly I think the next five to ten teams are mostly interchangeable.

Oregon and A&M are just a notch above everyone else imo. Clemson gets a lot of love in facilities but honestly I think the next five to ten teams are mostly interchangeable.
ok, so a notch above sitll falls in the categor of comparing favorably. point being, i don't think anyone is going to walk in to any of these bigger programs and think that this school's facilities are THAT much better than the other school.

there may be personal preferneces that stand out or whatever, but in general, they all are taj majals....

While the rest of the OVs are home, the Top-100 linebacker wraps up his official visit tonight after arriving late Friday night. The Bosco product is a big-time target for Tennessee. They play a very similar defense as the Vols and that + his interest in the staff has him giving Tennessee a real look. He has an upcoming visit to Ohio State next weekend. Will have full story on Williams’ visit tomorrow.
Simonton

The California native really enjoyed spending lots of time with Derrick Ansley and Jeremy Pruitt. He also had a prior relationship with Tee Martin. The Vols are recruiting Williams almost as a defensive ATH. They see him as a potential STAR guy ... comparing his skill-set to Minkah Fitzpatrick, only at 215 pounds. They pitched him the idea of playing that spot on early downs and then sliding to a sub linebacker role on 3rd downs. One of the big pluses for Tennessee is at Bosco, Williams plays a very similar defense to UT's hybrid 3-4 and his role (STAR/linebacker) is the same.
Williams was very impressed with Tennessee's pitch on his role in the defense, the academic side (he wants to do either broadcasting or business) and Pruitt's vision to turnaround the program. He said the Vols are firmly in the mix, with a decision coming sometime this summer after his OV to Ohio State this weekend.
- Simonton

The four-star Class of 2020 linebacker/defensive back from St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif., said he “really enjoyed” his official visit to Tennessee, and the Vols now are “definitely top-five” among the teams he’s considering as he moves closer to his college decision. The 6-foot-1, 217-pound Williams said “Tennessee is definitely one of the schools on the top of the list” going into his final official visit, a trip to Ohio State that’s scheduled for this weekend. He said he likes the idea of “just playing in the SEC,” and he was pleasantly surprised by his first experience in Knoxville.

“The city life is really similar to where I’m from,” said Williams, who’s ranked the No. 170 overall prospect and No. 12 outside linebacker in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2020 class. “The coaching staff and everything, it really wouldn’t be a hard transition. Just coming from the defense that I play now and then going to the Tennessee defense, it would be a really, really easy transition. Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt is a very well-respected coach and man in all of college football. I have really high respect for him.”

Williams said he had been in contact for months with Pruitt, Vols wide receivers coach Tee Martin and Derrick Ansley, Tennessee’s defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, leading up to the visit. “I definitely knew them all, and I had already met Coach Martin,” Williams said, referring to Martin’s previous stint as USC’s offensive coordinator. “But I wanted to meet Coach Ansley and Coach Pruitt and see the campus, and I wanted my family to come with me.

“I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. I was able to talk to Coach Ansley a lot just about he sees me in the scheme. … I was able to look more into the academic side and what they have to offer in terms of majors and all that, and I liked that a lot. (I got to) see the weight room and everything and see more of the surrounding city. “It’s not one of those SEC schools where it’s just in the middle of nowhere. There’s a downtown right next to campus, so I thought that was pretty cool.”

“(Ansley) kind of sees me playing kind of, they call it a Star position — kind of like the hybrid position where I play at my school now — on first and second down. Then, on third down, going in the box and playing a Will or Money ‘backer position,” said Williams, who was timed at 4.60 seconds in the 40-yard dash earlier this year. “They said they need kind of, like, a big safety — a safety that can come down and really make his presence felt and be that thumper and that enforcer on the team. And they really don’t have that.”

The Vols also told him they want “a person that’s really smart and that can really understand the defense,” he said, and it helps that he runs “a very similar defense” at his high school in which “some of the terminology is the same.” Pruitt and his staff talked with Williams about “the fact that they’re rebuilding everything,” and he likes Pruitt’s “vision and his goals and what his ambition is for what the team can turn out to be.”

Tennessee’s coaches impressed him as much as anything. “They told me that combined, as a whole staff, they have 17 national championships, which really impressed me — just all the experience that they have,” Williams said. “They know what it takes to win a national championship. And just their whole vision, with their plan and their goal for turning Tennessee into a national powerhouse again. “The whole staff, I was really comfortable with, and I was able to talk to a lot of different coaches and have conversations with them, so it was great.”

“They want to be a part of the team that’s able to take it all the way and be on the rebuilding stage and hopefully win a national championship in a few years,” Williams said, recalling his conversations with Allen and To’oto’o. “So they said, if you want to be a part of something that’s going to grow in a few years and climb up the mountain, reach the mountaintop, it’s going to be this school.”

Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Penn State also have hosted Williams on official visits, and he said he plans to “drop my top-five list” after his visit to Ohio State this weekend. He expects to decide on a college before his senior season. “After Ohio State, I’m going to actually take some time off with everything and sit down with my family and figure this all out,” Williams said. “I’ll definitely commit before the season. But in terms of when, after the Ohio State visit and before the season — what time period I’m going to commit — that I’m not sure yet.”

Based on those quotes, I'd say we should love our chances.
Maybe. He's visited the other schools he's taken OVs to at least once before. This was his first trip to Knoxville. Maybe it's enough to make up the necessary ground, but I'm skeptical.

VN Store

Back