'19 CA ATH/WR Horace "Bru" McCoy (Tennessee commit)

I agree with you all...but I should have been more clear about my question...I'm saying you can ONLY take one who have you got?

I agree with Carp on this....I would take Neyor for all the reasons he states...plus McCoy has shown some flighty tendencies....commits to USC then "transfers" to Texas the goes back to USC now he's transferring again
Seems pretty "normal" in today's climate.:rolleyes:

Spot on!

Tank Bigsby would have been such a great addition. Sustained offensive drives and more time of possession. Defense would have greatly benefited from that.
Yeah. It really stinks we couldn't get him or Evans. Staff didn't want Evans apparently. Fit issues.

Reactions: volnut1
I agree Neyor the one you can count on. Bru is the high risk high reward type. We need both. We have plenty of Slot WRs but in the outside we only have Tillman, Keyton and freshmen. Staff would feel a lot better having a 3 man rotation of Tillman/Neyor/Bru on the outside with Hyatt/Callaway inside. Then anything you get from freshman like Webb and Squireel is gravy

Florida probably one to keep eye on too for Bru. Usc WR coach is there
We only really need 2 outside. wr's. They get plenty of rest when our defense is on the field.

Reactions: volnut1 and Walkman
Seems like an odd pick up especially with Neyor. Not sure we needed 2 portal WRs considering the troubles we have on defense

It's odd to me that VolNation isn't excited about a former 5-Star prospect being interested in coming to Tennessee, and instead people are saying "rather have Neyor" as if we can't have both. This is an exciting development. If Velus approves, and if Heupel thinks the kid is worth a shot, that tells me they know enough about the off the field situation to say he deserves a chance. Who are we to judge?

It's odd to me that VolNation isn't excited about a former 5-Star prospect being interested in coming to Tennessee, and instead people are saying "rather have Neyor" as if we can't have both. This is an exciting development. If Velus approves, and if Heupel thinks the kid is worth a shot, that tells me they know enough about the off the field situation to say he deserves a chance. Who are we to judge?
I totally agree. We need kids like this

Reactions: Walkman
I'd rather use that spot somewhere else, but it sounds like Heup isn't really thrilled with JP's recruits at WR if he has to bring in 2 transfers for this season.

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
I'd rather use that spot somewhere else, but it sounds like Heup isn't really thrilled with JP's recruits at WR if he has to bring in 2 transfers for this season.

Yes, and no. There could be truth to the idea Heupel isn't thrilled by the WR's we have returning that were JP guys. Hyatt didn't exactly standout in his limited minutes. But, we did lose our #2 and #3 receivers this off-season and return very little production in that spot. The staff might just want to have more options to see what works and what doesn't work.

We need defense, sure. But, in general, we need to improve the talent level across the board on this roster. I'm not going to turn a former #9 player NATIONALLY away. He was at two dumpster fires (USC and Texas) and Heupel seems to have created some stability and calm here in just one year. It might be the exact situation a stud like this needs to thrive. Just saying.

Sounded more like NIL issues to me.

Keep in mind that De1 will never admit off field concerns of a kid and will always just say we ain’t pay enough. He refused to admit it about Barion Brown as to why Bama would not take him and how he ended up at Ky despite being crazy talented. So never going to know full story and Buck/AP seemed to say what was being said about NIL and Evans was not true

Heupel may not be impressed with the WR room but we are taking Neyor and getting Tillman back. We signed 4 WRs in the class. I think we would get better utility focusing on defensive players rather than another WR.

It is very interesting to compare the reaction in this thread vs what might’ve happened if Evan Stewart had wanted to sign here last class or Brandon Inniss flipped to us in this class… Bru is a top 10 player in his class and a freak athlete. Would be thrilled to have him (if his head is on straight, which I think getting out of Cali would be great for him)

If you look at their college numbers who has played more like a 5 star? The only reason people are excited about McCoy is the amount of stars next to his name 3 years ago and let’s just ignore the fact he had off field issues resulting in him being suspended the entire year last year AND this is his third time transfering… PASS

If you look at their college numbers who has played more like a 5 star? The only reason people are excited about McCoy is the amount of stars next to his name 3 years ago and let’s just ignore the fact he had off field issues resulting in him being suspended the entire year last year AND this is his third time transfering… PASS

I'll trust the coaching staff. It's all I need to know. I'm not going to cast stones at a kid for "off the field" issues on a message board. We have no idea about the facts of that situation, and all charges were dropped. It seems like a waste of time to litigate this on VolNation as if we know more about the situation than Heupel wold know.

Heupel may not be impressed with the WR room but we are taking Neyor and getting Tillman back. We signed 4 WRs in the class. I think we would get better utility focusing on defensive players rather than another WR.

I had this same thought, but going over our roster, the only JP recruits with an opportunity to contribute this year are Hyatt, Calloway, Ramel and Merrill. Ramel just doesn't have it to me. Merrill might grow into a solid player but he's not there yet. Hyatt isn't physical enough to be a consistent threat and Calloway has his own issues. That puts us at just one player at WR we know we can count on in Tillman. Neyor isn't a sure-fire plug and play by any means. The next guys up are all freshmen, and I like all their potential, but I doubt any of them are ready to play SEC ball day 1.

I'll trust the coaching staff. It's all I need to know. I'm not going to cast stones at a kid for "off the field" issues on a message board. We have no idea about the facts of that situation, and all charges were dropped. It seems like a waste of time to litigate this on VolNation as if we know more about the situation than Heupel wold know.
Neither am I but he’s had nothing but red flags every since he’s been in college.

ill trust those guys when it comes to knowing what an offense needs.

Reactions: bigorange

VN Store

Back