'24 CA ATH Kingston Lopa (Oregon commit)

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a safety that’s 6’5”.

Patrick Watkins at FSU was that size in the early 2000s. Got drafted by the Cowboys but never panned out in the NFL.

That said, we might be recruiting him as a receiver or TE because Matt Ray on the VQ 2 minute drill talked about him on offense and how Kingston was intrigued with how he could be used in this offense. (paraphrased)

Edit: Plays some receiver in high school

Patrick Watkins at FSU was that size in the early 2000s. Got drafted by the Cowboys but never panned out in the NFL.

That said, we might be recruiting him as a receiver or TE because Matt Ray on the VQ 2 minute drill talked about him on offense and how Kingston was intrigued with how he could be used in this offense. (paraphrased)

Edit: Plays some receiver in high school

Gotcha. I was wondering if he would grow into a hybrid LB type position, but it sounds like he’s destined for offense.

Pod today makes it sound like we may really be in this one. Could either be a safety or receiver. Tall, lean with long arms. Donte Stallworth big in this one.
This kid has some nasty in him. Very physical football player and could easily play at 210-215 eventually at either position. I think I like him better as a WR prospect though.

This kid has some nasty in him. Very physical football player and could easily play at 210-215 eventually at either position. I think I like him better as a WR prospect though.

(Very) respectfully disagree, and here's why: we're going to sign an incredible WR haul, IMO. Some 3-5 of Matthews/Harrell/Wingo/Wesco/Jefferson/Staley/Anderson/Young/other 4-stars. From my amateur viewpoint, Lopa isn't a *better* WR prospect than any of them. But what he IS is a 6'4-6'5 ~200 pound kid who can move well enough to play S/WR, plays aggressive AF, and has the frame to grow into a LB or Edge.

Ask yourself this: even IF Kirby had the type of offensive weapons Heupel has already and is recruiting in this cycle, where would he put a freak like Lopa? I think we know the answer, and IMO if we want to become truly elite we need to put kids like this on defense and let them wreak havoc.

(Very) respectfully disagree, and here's why: we're going to sign an incredible WR haul, IMO. Some 3-5 of Matthews/Harrell/Wingo/Wesco/Jefferson/Staley/Anderson/Young/other 4-stars. From my amateur viewpoint, Lopa isn't a *better* WR prospect than any of them. But what he IS is a 6'4-6'5 ~200 pound kid who can move well enough to play S/WR, plays aggressive AF, and has the frame to grow into a LB or Edge.

Ask yourself this: even IF Kirby had the type of offensive weapons Heupel has already and is recruiting in this cycle, where would he put a freak like Lopa? I think we know the answer, and IMO if we want to become truly elite we need to put kids like this on defense and let them wreak havoc.

UT isn’t UGA. Heupel isn’t Kirby. We do what we want.

Agree with a lot.of this
But I would also add the TE position

Reactions: VolInDayton
Cam Chancellor was 6'4.
Pat Watkins 6'5 as someone mentioned before.

I need to be schooled here folks…..what is the drawback to 6’5 safety? I mean if he has SEC speed and can hang with the WRs wouldn’t that just make him better.

Reactions: OrangeShade

VN Store

Back