BYU o-line coach talks learning from Chaney and coaching against Pruitt

An excerpt:

During Mateos’ time at Arkansas, he worked under offensive coordinator Jim Chaney who returns to Tennessee to oversee the Vols’ offense in 2019 — a position he held for UT from 2009-12.
“Working with Jim was great,” Mateos said of his time at Arkansas. “Jim was the first coordinator I worked with at the Division I level and I would say that I learned more football in my first year working as graduate assistant, working with him and Sam Pittman, than I did in my entire life. I really enjoyed it. I think Jim is one of the smarter game plan guys out there and is very good at film study and setting up a good game plan – that is one of things I admire most about him. One of the things he has done well over the years is adapt to what his personnel is and also he adapts well to what his head coach wants him to be. He is one of the best coordinators out there and I enjoyed working for him and is a great mentor being a teacher of young coaches.”

Mateos detailed his offenses’ competing against Pruitt’s defenses.
“His defenses are more aggressive as far as bringing pressure,” Mateos said of Pruitt. “He is one of the better third down blitz package guys in the SEC because he gives you a lot of different looks. He would move guys around and was not afraid to blitz anybody – corners, safeties, linebackers, nickels. He is an aggressive defensive coach and I have a lot of respect for him.”

“Jeremy Pruitt gave us a heavy blitz look to our left on the right hash. We were on the 35-yard line going in and he had Leonard Floyd and Ramik Wilson lined up on the line of scrimmage. Our offensive line claimed the guys to the left showing a heavy blitz. He brought the WILL linebacker and the corner from the boundary and played a two-high fire zone that we were not ready for. The corner sack-fumbled us and it really sealed the game as far as momentum for them. That blitz has stood out to me for a couple of years now. It was a great example of showing pressure on one side and bringing a total opposite pressure, it was a unique look. Pruitt does a great job of designing things and putting little wrinkles into things he has already done.”

Last edited:
BYU has a really interesting schedule around Tennessee. Game #1: a home game against their biggest rival, Utah. They have never started the season against Utah. Then, on to Knoxville, followed by home games against USCw and Washington, who destroyed them last year.

I don’t know that the schedule could have set up better for Tennessee, as it will be tough to get up for one’s biggest rival at home, then go in the road to TN and be back up for Washington and USCw. 3-0 looks very possible for the Vols.

They definitely won't look ahead to us. That Utah game is their most heated rival. Utah State is a close second.

That's really weird for an independent to start off the season with 3 PAC12 teams and an SEC team. They could easily start off the season 0-4. I think their best chance for a win is a home game against uscW or Utah but I would still count them as underdogs.

I don’t know that the schedule could have set up better for Tennessee, as it will be tough to get up for one’s biggest rival at home, then go in the road to TN and be back up for Washington and USCw.
Sound points, however BYU historically is kind of tough to figure, their team is mostly Mormon, older, non-drinking and many of them are married. In other words, not the typical college kids we are used to seeing. It's served them well though, in the last 50 seasons they are 10th in total wins.

Reactions: illinoisvolfan1

VN Store

Back