BYU fan - Watching your game Saturday, what should I look for?

Nothing will be revealed in this Saturday's game. I believe Pruitt himself said they are going with basic schemes, or something to that effect. BYU might reveal a little more, but the Vols will take the week off for UTC and we will finally see the real deal in Gainesville. That's my theory, anyway. I'm frequently wrong.

I'll be at the game in Tennessee and honestly can't wait for the experience. I have heard great things about your stadium experience.

I've been to Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and USC. Those road games have all been special and Nebraska is the one that has stuck out among the group. I suspect this game will be 1b after. Anyone who has been to those stadiums, what is the comparison?
It’ll be #1 no a or b

You honestly won’t be able to tell much from this games...hopefully. We should smoke them and the starters be resting by halftime

Reactions: feathersax
Caveat: I don't want to be rude or disparage Ty'son Williams' skill as a football player with this comment.

We had a great RB who Ty'son beat out for the starting spot. We are very excited about having him in our backfield. He will be a key piece in our offense it looks like

Williams came to BYU as a grad transfer from South Carolina. He pretty much became one of BYU's best players when he stepped on campus. In 2018 with South Carolina he rushed for over 50 yards in two games. He had 51 yards against Missouri on 15 carries with a 3.1 YPC average. The most yards he had during a game was against a 5-7 Coastal Carolina team that finished only above Georgia State last year in the Sun Belt Conference.

Versus the Vols last year he carried 13 times for 34 total yards or 2.6 YPC.

What I'm getting at is the fact that while playing RB against an SEC schedule his stats were less than pedestrian. The fact that he can come in to your program and take the RB1 spot immediately may reflect the talent gap between BYU and other SEC schools, considering he was not projected to be a major contributor with South Carolina this year.

While this may not be the case because of other factors within the system (O-line proficiency, run schemes, etc...) it certainly is something to think about. One could postulate that the perceived talent gap that may have existed at RB could also exist at other positions within the team.

Again, nothing in this post is meant to disparage Williams or BYU. I'm just presenting facts as they were.

He Cougar fan. Fellow LDS here. Be sure to line up between Neyland and the Bridge which says University of Tennessee. Be sure to get seats along the curb, and await the band march. Afterwards, you can enter the stadium at Gate 21...then go to your seats.

I know very little about your team, but since BYU plays Thursday night I will be able to watch your game in its entirety.

What should I look out for? What kind of offense do you run and who are the playmakers? Any potential difference-maker Freshman on the roster?

Looking forward to some football!

I plan to watch your game with Utah too.

What do you call the rivalry? Holy War?

You guys have about the toughest September of all the teams this season.

We always have Bloody October to deal with.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Pro-Style Offense mixed with Spread. QB is Jarrett Guarantano. Very tough. Needs to make some improvements but I believe he will as long as he has time to throw. Wanya Morris is a Freshman 5* LT, Darnell Wright is another 5* OT who could play there or Guard , Deep at WR Callaway, Jennings and Palmer are the top 3. Have 3 or 4 RBs that all bring a little something different to the table. Ty Chandler is the starter, allegedly ran a 4.3 .Trey Smith at LG is probably the best player on the team if his blood clotting issue is cleared up, OL is still a question mark. Was a glaring weakness last year after Smith and Kennedy went down but believe it should be better this year thanks to recruiting and development, DL is unknown but we have talent, Deep at ILB, not as deep as OLB probably but Darrell Taylor one of the best pass rushers in the SEC, starting a freshman at CB due to Bryce Thompson being indefinitely suspended. Should be deep at Safety

Reactions: SpookyAction
I know very little about your team, but since BYU plays Thursday night I will be able to watch your game in its entirety.

What should I look out for? What kind of offense do you run and who are the playmakers? Any potential difference-maker Freshman on the roster?

If I was a BYU fan, which I am not, I would be looking at the UT offensive line. If the Vols can’t run the ball on GaSt it doesn’t bode well for them against BYU. I want to see Chandler, Jordan, and Eric Gray reaching the second level against GaSt early and often, and then JG Throwing over the top for big gains! We’ll see

I've heard some worry for your OLine, is that going to be a big problem this year? If so, it may be a long season for the QB
Not any worse than last year. It should be much improved this year. If BYU doesn’t get to our QB than I’d say vols win by 3+ TDs. You have to get to the QB or it will be a long night.

We do a bit of fishin' and huntin' in this part of the country. Coons and squirrels and such. But this Saturday we will be huntin' through the whole roster of o-linemen to see who are the real players and trying a bunch of combinations in the secondary. 'Course then there's that pesky d-line and finding out who will be usable there. And we have to get past this thing we had with the previous coach about looking horrible against under-matched teams. I reckon we might win by a coupla points.

What do you look for? Hmm, great question.

Here's a list, not necessarily in priority order, of things that might be interesting to watch for:

1. Get to know our QB, Jarrett Guarantano. He has a great arm, really good strength and nice touch, and almost never puts the ball at risk (very few INTs over the past two years). But has he gotten better at recognizing and reacting to blitzes, avoiding the sack or knockdown? That's what most of us will be watching for, anyway.

2. Jauan Jennings. Not necessarily our best wide receiver, but the lad just loves to play football and is fun to watch, because of it. Yes, he talks some smack. Yes, he has a bit of a temper; if pushed, he will push back. But he also makes circus catches and just loves to be out there playing.

3. Offensive Line. Our Achilles' Heel over the past three years, we're all hoping it has become at least serviceable. If you want to know what all the Vols fans are holding their breath over the first few minutes we're on offense...this is it.

4. Trey Smith, in specific. Lad's part of our offensive line, but hardly played any last year because of blood clots in the lungs. He's a wonderful young man, so we're just all hoping to see him doing well enough that he can continue to pursue his dreams. Doesn't hurt our affection for him that he has been called the best player wearing Orange more than once over the past two seasons.

5. Jim Chaney. Our new(ish) OC. We stole him from Georgia this past off-season. Jim's an old hand on Rocky Top, was our OC once before (and very briefly, our interim head coach) several years back. Most of us are real happy to have him with us again. We're looking forward to seeing his signature ability to make the most of the cards he's dealt, fitting his offensive schemes and play-calling to the talent in uniform. If he does that as well as he has many other times over the years (and see #3), our offense could take a big step forward in 2019.

6. Defensive Line. Mixed bag; will it be stout enough, and for four full quarters? Last two years, we were good early in games, but worn down by the late 3rd and 4th quarters; just not enough quality depth. Has that been fixed?

7. Alontae Taylor. Our #1 cornerback, Alontae is a native son (Manchester, Tennessee, about an hour south of Nashville). Has the potential to be genius, as good as Cam Sutton was for us a few years back--or even better.

Anyway, that's a start.

Hope you enjoy watching the game; a lot of us here will be watching yours, in turn, on Thursday night. Wish you the best of luck against Utah!

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I'll be at the game in Tennessee and honestly can't wait for the experience. I have heard great things about your stadium experience.

I've been to Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and USC. Those road games have all been special and Nebraska is the one that has stuck out among the group. I suspect this game will be 1b after. Anyone who has been to those stadiums, what is the comparison?
If you want an opponent's opinion about Neyland, look up what the Oklahoma center said about the Sooner's trip to Knoxville in 2015. I'm thinking he may have played in some of those stadiums you listed. I don't expect the atmosphere at the BYU game will be quite like that though. There was a lot of hype surrounding that game/season.

Solomon (Michigan transfer) will be an impact player on the D-Line
Chandler (RB) has great speed out the gate and will probably play in the NFL someday
Jarrett G. (QB) - consistency issues but has the tools to be great. Not sure what we're going to get here, especially w/ new OC.
O-Line will have some meshing to do and the tools are there for a very talented core (Kennedy (Bama Grad Transfer), Smith (5* So), Morris (5* True Fr) and Wright (5*True Fr). We've got good size here but lots of growing to do.
LB corps is fast - lookout for Henry To'o To'o, he's a very talented true freshman - could easily be our best LB at the moment
Nigel Warrior can lay some licks. Also Tr Fr Jerrod Means is a guy who could make an impact - has good size and early indications are he's going to be good.

Beyond that a few threats in the passing game. Callaway is out best all-around WR. Jauan Jennings is a dog out there and isnt afraid to get nasty with an opponent. Tyler Byrd might be a player worth keeping an eye on - he's a nightmare for a DC to scheme against - he's very agile and has great top end speed. TE Dominic Wood-Anderson is a really talented big guy, I think he's a potential draftee next year.

Reactions: UTK

You should look for a game where the kids go out here and get 1% better with every play and they play with the heart of a life champion

Last edited:
Like others have said, oline and dline play. They're by far the biggest question marks UT has. Oline was terrible last year, so we need to see if it looks improved. Dline is just a complete unknown.

Proven are the WRs. Top 3 in the SEC easily imo. Young freshmen to look out for are Eric Gray a RB, Warren Burrell a CB, and Henry T a LB.

Reactions: DocVOLiday

VN Store

Back