BYU fan - Watching your game Saturday, what should I look for?

cougman

I know very little about your team, but since BYU plays Thursday night I will be able to watch your game in its entirety.

What should I look out for? What kind of offense do you run and who are the playmakers? Any potential difference-maker Freshman on the roster?

Looking forward to some football!

I know very little about your team, but since BYU plays Thursday night I will be able to watch your game in its entirety.

What should I look out for? What kind of offense do you run and who are the playmakers? Any potential difference-maker Freshman on the roster?

Can our qb make plays when he has time. That seems to be the biggest contention among Vol fans.

One faction thinks he is secretly the best qb in the SEC. The other thinks he's average at best on a good day.

About the the only thing anyone can agree on is he is very durable.

If you want the Neyland Stadium experience at home, if you have access to a steam room, take your TV in there and turn it up real loud. Also, it will be one of the rare times where you will probably hear all 27 verses of Rocky Top.

I'll be at the game in Tennessee and honestly can't wait for the experience. I have heard great things about your stadium experience.

I've been to Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and USC. Those road games have all been special and Nebraska is the one that has stuck out among the group. I suspect this game will be 1b after. Anyone who has been to those stadiums, what is the comparison?

Can our qb make plays when he has time. That seems to be the biggest contention among Vol fans.

One faction thinks he is secretly the best qb in the SEC. The other thinks he's average at best on a good day.

I've heard some worry for your OLine, is that going to be a big problem this year? If so, it may be a long season for the QB

Reactions: livefaith
Actually, we don't know what to tell you to look for ... 'cause CJP is playing so close to the vest ... we have no clue either. Big uglies is where the game is won or lost.... so start there.

Reactions: savannahfan
Cougman, looks like you got a great RB transfer outta the SEC.

How has he looked in practice?

Reactions: cougman
I'll be at the game in Tennessee and honestly can't wait for the experience. I have heard great things about your stadium experience.

I've been to Nebraska, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and USC. Those road games have all been special and Nebraska is the one that has stuck out among the group. I suspect this game will be 1b after. Anyone who has been to those stadiums, what is the comparison?

I've been to games at Michigan and OhSt. Not Nebraska though.
As far as game experience, Neyland beats the other big stadiums for sure. It's mostly because Neyland is so much more vertical than the other 100,000 plus seat stadiums...when they want, the crowd can be unbelievable.

Cougman, looks like you got a great RB transfer outta the SEC.

How has he looked in practice?
We had a great RB who Ty'son beat out for the starting spot. We are very excited about having him in our backfield. He will be a key piece in our offense it looks like.

I've been to games at Michigan and OhSt. Not Nebraska though.
As far as game experience, Neyland beats the other big stadiums for sure. It's mostly because Neyland is so much more vertical than the other 100,000 plus seat stadiums...when they want, the crowd can be unbelievable.
I am excited, should be a great experience. Hopefully our team helps make the trip memorable too

Reactions: feathersax

Pruitt telling Chaney to run the ball and make those SOb’s block somebody

I think line play. Offensive line and Defensive line are huge question marks. It will be interesting to see if we can get a push up front on both sides of the ball against an FCS opponent

Last edited:

We know "some" things but honestly there are a ton of unknowns with this team.

Look out for...

- OL push and protection. Without going into deep details, UT's last HC thought of himself as an innovator. Not only did he not develop OL's correctly... a lot of technique stuff had to be undone and re-taught. His philosophy on S&C for OL's left UT with only 3 guys over 300 lbs going into last season... then two of them were sidelined for a large chunk of the season. This year Pruitt reports 11 OL's over 300 lbs. They've now been in a S&C program for almost two years led by a great S&C coach.

- Coupled with the OL, look to see if the QB's mental clock has improved and starts going off around the 2.5 second point. He struggled with decision making and holding the ball over his first two years. Chaney on two separate occasions fixed those problems with QB's at UT who were much worse than JG.

- UT probably won't open the O up much but throwing to TE's and RB's will likely be a big part of the O. Two of UT's RB's have big play potential in the run game. The WR's should be solid and pretty deep.

- The DL. It is a complete enigma made up of converted players, young players, and JUCO's plus a possible Michigan transfer. They have size, strength, athleticism, etc... but no experience at all.

- UT will be missing one of the best CB's in the SEC due to a suspension. You probably should expect him back by your game. The secondary otherwise should be a strength of the team though not as deep as we once thought.

- Best LB will be out after a minor knee surgery. Also should be back by your game. Starters @ ILB will probably be a true Fr and Ignont. Ignont is a solid LB with experience. To'oto'o would have been a starter in front of several returning players even without the injury mentioned previously.

- If the DL isn't a disaster, UT's OLB's should be fun to watch. They're big and fast.

Then I guess there's me... who thinks the OL was a big problem as was JG's weakness in making consistently good, timely decisions.

I also thought/think that there was enough OL talent to build a good OL with development... and that JG had enough talent to be a really good QB. He's played "average". Physically, he has much better than average talent.

The team wearing Orange and White.

Reactions: cbatey1
I've heard some worry for your OLine, is that going to be a big problem this year? If so, it may be a long season for the QB
I personally expect the OL to be much improved. "Average" would be a good improvement from where they were last year. QB has to learn to make good pre-snap reads and help the OL out by getting the ball out on time. Guarantano has all the physical talent needed to play in the SEC and beyond.

Reactions: SpookyAction

Look at the OL and DL. Even if we are playing a smaller school our lines have been atrocious, even worse against small schools.

If we look decent or like a P5 school should look on the lines, look out. We have enough pieces around even a decent/mid SEC line to be pretty powerful. Not upset Bama powerful. But scare GA/FL type. Maybe even eke a win out of one of those.

Skill guys are good. There is a major love hate relationship with our QB. Defense should have a nice blend of new talent and returning starters to cover mistakes.

How we use our TE might be the biggest offensive change if you believe the message board hype. Look for them to be more involved in the passing game. But otherwise look for us to try and establish the LOS. Even though our rush was terrible last year, we kept going back to it.

cougman,

You will have a great experience at Neyland. The fans, though rabid, are very welcoming to visitors. You will remember this day.

I still remember my first game at Neyland. Upper deck seats. When we came out of the walkway to the top deck, I started getting a little bit of vertigo. It's steep but in doing so it almost overlooks the field. You will make friends with the people in front of you, besides you and behind you because it's T i g h t, knees and elbows.

Be prepared when the Vols run through the "T", the place will be rocking!

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

Enjoy the game.

GO VOLS!

There is nothing to compare to being at Neyland when it gets to rockin.Ive been there when it was so loud you could see the liguid in you drink vibrating and yell at the top of your voice at the person beside you and them not hear anything. When it gets cranked up it will literally hurt your chest.

VN Store

Back