Byron Young to the Seahawks at 20 overall in Mel Kiper Mock Draft

Helton1

Kiper's Round 1 NFL mock draft: Where four quarterbacks land in the top 10 picks

Number 20, Seahawks.
We're back with another Seattle pick here after I projected general manager John Schneider to take a quarterback at No. 5. Let's focus on the defense. The Seahawks struggled against the run this season, and we know coach Pete Carroll loves toolsy edge defenders. L.J. Collier didn't work out in Round 1 in 2019, but Darrell Taylor, a Round 2 pick in 2020, is coming off a breakout 9.5-sack season. Bruce Irvin made his way back to the team in 2022 too.

Young, another prospect who will be at the Senior Bowl, is intriguing. At 6-3, 245 pounds, he fits the mold of what Carroll wants from a front-seven defender, and he has some pass-rush upside. He had seven sacks and 13.5 total tackles for loss in 2022, showing off advanced moves. The Seahawks knocked their 2022 class out of the park, and a home run in 2023 could set them up for another long run of success.

Last edited:
Article Link is for ESPN + only people. I am not a + person.:( Can you possibly copy and paste the article for those of us on the other side of the ESPN tracks? Gracias

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
These mocks all have some weird choices though.. 2 TEs in the first round and 4 QB's in the top 9 picks? I don't see More than 3 QB's going in the first round I could see some team going for Richardson or Levis on upside in the first round but not 2 teams.. Also KC taking Zay Jones over Hyatt seems off to me. that is the one team whose offense he (Hyatt) fits most perfectly in (they actually mention him but still weird pass).

These mocks all have some weird choices though.. 2 TEs in the first round and 4 QB's in the top 9 picks? I don't see More than 3 QB's going in the first round I could see some team going for Richardson or Levis on upside in the first round but not 2 teams.. Also KC taking Zay Jones over Hyatt seems off to me. that is the one team whose offense he (Hyatt) fits most perfectly in (they actually mention him but still weird pass).
4 QB's will go IMO. Stroud, Young, and Levis will definitely go and I can't see Richardson slipping past the Ravens. I really don't see Richardson getting much more accurate and being a good NFL QB, but him in the Ravens system is SO intriguing.

Would love to see Byron go to the Seahawks.
1st rounder off Defense says a lot about our program.

It would be a good fit for BY as well as Seattle is showing they can continue developing great players.
Also, I knew D Taylor had some sacks this year, but didn't realize it was that many...NICE JOB !!!

Reactions: HeadVol77
This means we have 3 guys (Wright, Hyatt, and now Young) with a realistic shot at going in the first round.

That’s impressive.
realistic is a stretch.. I would say the one guy with the most realistic chance to go in the first is Wright (his one knock is he is a RT not a LT). Hyatt will fall to 2nd or third unless someone channels their inner AL Davis and falls in love. BY I think deserves but because he's seen as more of a classical DE and not an EDGE by skillset he probably drops to round 2-3.. Then again combine/pro day results could change that story. On that note a really impressive combine from Tillman could shake things up in the WR pecking order.

A lot of people don't take into consideration that position plays a huge role in draft Value.

EDGE holds more value than DE these days.
DT has more positional value than NT
X WR holds more value than Y or Z
LT more value than RT nd tackle more than IOL
Corner has more value than safety and man coverage has more value than boundary or slot corner.
RB is the most boned position lately because unless you're flat out a top 5 overall player as a RB you're probably not going first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helton1
realistic is a stretch.. I would say the one guy with the most realistic chance to go in the first is Wright (his one knock is he is a RT not a LT). Hyatt will fall to 2nd or third unless someone channels their inner AL Davis and falls in love. BY I think deserves but because he's seen as more of a classical DE and not an EDGE by skillset he probably drops to round 2-3.. Then again combine/pro day results could change that story. On that note a really impressive combine from Tillman could shake things up in the WR pecking order.

All of those are realistic. If Kiper has you at 20, that’s realistic. Wright is 42 according to PFF, so that’s realistic. And most have Hyatt in the 2nd right now, but it’s realistic someone could fall in love with his speed.

To be clear I’m not saying it’s realistic that all 3 are first rounders.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
All of those are realistic. If Kiper has you at 20, that’s realistic. Wright is 42 according to PFF, so that’s realistic. And most have Hyatt in the 2nd right now, but it’s realistic someone could fall in love with his speed.

I feel you and I kinda updated my post to flesh out my thought process. I just think of all of them Wright seems the most likely. I would say Wright, Young and Hyatt in that order pending combine/pro day results. Either of them could greatly solidify or compromise their rating then. If Hyatt does not run in the very very low 4.4s or faster his stock drops. 4.3 is the new 4.4
If he puts of Velus like numbers (which I'm sure he can) he is definitely a 1st round threat.

Reactions: Vol8188

A lot of people don't take into consideration that position plays a huge role in draft Value.

EDGE holds more value than DE these days.
DT has more positional value than NT
X WR holds more value than Y or Z
LT more value than RT nd tackle more than IOL
Corner has more value than safety and man coverage has more value than boundary or slot corner.
RB is the most boned position lately because unless you're flat out a top 5 overall player as a RB you're probably not going first round.

Edge is DE. RT has more value if your qb is a lefty (not sure how many the NFL has).

Slot guys like Hyatt still go in the first. As do RTs. That's one thing all three of these guys have going for them. They're all premier positions.

I'm not sure what you mean when you're using edge vs de, but I think you're wrong here. I think maybe in your mind edge=3/4 OLB, but Young can 100% play in a 3-4 scheme and we played him a lot as a 3-4 OLB this season.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

I could see Hyatt going in the first if he runs a sub 4.4 at the combine.

Reactions: Vol8188
Edge is DE. RT has more value if your qb is a lefty (not sure how many the NFL has).

Slot guys like Hyatt still go in the first. As do RTs. That's one thing all three of these guys have going for them. They're all premier positions.

I'm not sure what you mean when you're using edge vs de, but I think you're wrong here. I think maybe in your mind edge=3/4 OLB, but Young can 100% play in a 3-4 scheme and we played him a lot as a 3-4 OLB this season.
EDGE can be a LB (34) or DE(43) they are the LB or DE whose primary job is pass rushing in the scheme. Its not always as simple as DE in a 43 or LB in a 34 but that's a simplistic way to think about it.

4 QB's will go IMO. Stroud, Young, and Levis will definitely go and I can't see Richardson slipping past the Ravens. I really don't see Richardson getting much more accurate and being a good NFL QB, but him in the Ravens system is SO intriguing.

If that us the case then I could see Levis and Richardson getting a GM fired unless they are a backup for several years, but you don't draft a QB in the first round to be a career backup.

VN Store

Back