Butch's Reasoning

Here is a honest question for everyone..

What would be easier/safer/most productive?

Bring in a new OC with a new offense and have the players learn new schemes, plays and terminology when they are just now getting comfortable with the offense in hand..

or

Bring in DeBord that has coached football at different levels and positions for many years and have him learn the offense in hand..

Butch wanted to make sure that no one would ever steal his offensive coordinator , so he narrowed it down to Dave Hart, Debord, Jimmy Cheek, Moses and he went with Debord because he was the oldest and least qualified.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch wanted to make sure that no one would ever steal his offensive coordinator , so he narrowed it down to Dave Hart, Debord, Jimmy Cheek, Moses and he went with Debord because he was the oldest and least qualified.

I beg to differ here buddy.. Moses had that parting of the seas play..

I see that there is a massive thread concerning the Debord hiring, but I consider this topic thread worthy. Mods, if you disagree, feel free to merge.

Butch Jones, as far as we know, did not fire Mike Bajakian. Therefore, we can assume Butch was pleased with our offensive efficiency and strategy. I have heard and read where many people believe Butch is really stepping out on a limb with this hire. However, I believe Butch feels that he is playing it safe by hiring Debord and here is why:

1. Butch knew that any other "big name" offensive coordinator is going to want to implement his offensive strategy and terminology. As I previously mentioned, Butch is pleased with our offense, and he does not want it to change. If Butch really interviewed other candidates, I am sure the interview ended abruptly when the candidate was told that he would not have the freedom to bring his own offense and terminology into Knoxville. Debord, on the other hand, is obviously very willing to learn and run Butch's offense. I am sure Butch will let Debord offer advise and make suggestions, but ultimately, Debord is likely very happy to get a huge raise while wrapping up his career coaching football.

2. Butch knew that most offensive coordinators would have demanded that they bring some of their assistants along with them. Butch has shown that he loves continuity and loyalty, and we can all agree that we needed consistency in coaches around here. Obviously, Debord has no assistants that he wants to being along with him because he hasn't coached football in a few years.

3. Butch knows Debord's personality and his coaching style. After all, Debord gave Butch his start in the coaching profession. Butch did not want to take the chance of hiring some up and coming potential hot head that would come in and cause confusion in the locker room and on the practice field. Butch wants someone that will fall in line with his "one voice" mentality.

4. Butch knows that we are on the verge of something extremely special at The University of Tennessee. He knows that we need everything to stay very similar to our previous offensive concepts and strategies because we have such an overwhelmingly young team. These young guys just really got a firm grip of the offense last year, and Butch knows that it would be detrimental to bring in a guy that would start from scratch. Butch knows if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With all of that being said, this is a HUGE hire! This hire could break Butch, and he KNOWS that too. Butch made the comfortable hire, and I really hope that we can look over at our buddies at the SEC/National Championship game in a year or two and say, "Man, Butch really gets it. Debord was a GREAT hire!"

Go Vols! and sorry this is so long!

I think these are all realistic points, but I am baffled that people don't acknowledge that this hire also probably has a lot to do with his experience and track record as an OC at a major program that went 63 and 13 during his tenure (as an OC) and won a NC. You can argue his offense wasn't ranked that high, but this is when the Big 10 was very strong with Penn St. and Ohio St. doing well. Both were in the top 10 the last year he was OC. Michigan put up respectable numbers on both teams that year as well as others.

Additionally, he has experience coaching the OL (we need help there), experience coaching in the pros, a track record as a recruiter (He was Michigan's recruiting coordinator in 2004 and 2005 and got the #8 and #6 recruiting class respectively:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/michigan/fo...k/2004/all/all
https://rivals.yahoo.com/michigan/fo...k/2005/all/all

)

58 is not that old, look at how long Peterno coached and Kiffin is still coaching.

The only bad job he has done is as a head coach and that's not what we hired him for. Why in the world people believe Azanni is as qualified as this guy is, is beyond me. It's ignorant. If anything, I can see Azanni picking up QB responsibilities because he knows the routes. Not sure how well he knows QB mechanics however. That is my only concern. However, with 3 incoming highly touted freshmen as QB's coming in, I can't imagine that is a hole in our coaching staff. I look forward to Butch discussing this hire. I look forward to seeing Debord bring the success he brought to Michigan to our program. His resume is outstanding, especially for the money we are paying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I am sure Butch has this covered. Why would we believe otherwise.

Maybe because he has a losing record at UT?

Maybe because this guy has never coached a spread offense. Even the teams in his glory days were average in O stats?

Maybe he's been out of active coaching for 7 years?

Maybe because Butch is doing a payback instead of having this teams best interest first.

Maybe because the immature knee jerking football ignorant fanatics who have a PC, DSL, and a VN account take liberty to spew venom and opinion at anything that they get emotional about. All while actually having not the foggiest notion of what an OC's job description, short term goals, long term goals, and responsibilities actually are?

°

I'm not really sure, but since you asked I thought these might be some of the top reasons.

Reactions: 3 people

Maybe because this guy has never coached a spread offense. Even the teams in his glory days were average in O stats?

Maybe because Butch is doing a payback instead of having this teams best interest first.

Maybe because the immature knee jerking football ignorant fanatics who have a PC, DSL, and a VN account take liberty to spew venom and opinion at anything that they get emotional about. All while actually having not the foggiest notion of what an OC's job description, short term goals, long term goals, and responsibilities actually are?

°

I'm not really sure, but since you asked I thought these might be some of the top reasons.

Dude, that mediocre offense he ran helped win a national championship and he went 63-13 in his career as an OC. He recruited 2 top ten recruiting classes while he was recruiting coordinator. Also, he hasn't been out of coaching for 7 years. He was coaching in the >>>>NFL<<< for the Seahawks after Central Michigan and then for the Bears through 2012. Get your facts straight if you are going to chastise people. You just made yourself look foolish.

Reactions: 3 people
Hey, Tom Brady endorses the guy. He must be good!!

Tom Brady - New England Patriots Quarterback, three-time Super Bowl MVP

"The University of Tennessee has hired a great offensive coordinator in Mike DeBord. Mike was my offensive coordinator in college and helped me develop as a quarterback. He has great knowledge in offensive football and quarterback development, and he will do an outstanding job at Tennessee."

A perfect "nom de plum"for the "exoert"drivil"that was your comments.As you have no idea about the man, give him the shot.This is Butch's teamand UT's money.Not your dime.

Perhaps they feel that they have the players to run a little more pro style based plays as well. I'm hoping to see Hurd in an I-formation at some point. I understand we run the spread but it wouldn't hurt to take some snaps under center. Debord can help implement some pro-style elements into the current offense if Butch so chooses. But i'm sure Debord is willing to toe the line and this is ultimately what Butch wants, someone who falls in line with his over-all vision. Debord won't rustle any feathers...well except perhaps for those who are just watching, apparently they have already been rustled into a frenzy. To me this isn't a risky hire or a splashy one but a conservative one.

Kamara will take over for Hurd midway through the season. I see Hurd as a short yardage and third down back going forward. Hurd has not demonstrated enough explosion and acceleration to merit the starting job over Kamara (assuming K meets expectations). I will probably get a lot of static over this, but it's true. Hurd is solid, but he is not in the upper echelon of SEC backs.

Kamara will take over for Hurd midway through the season. I see Hurd as a short yardage and third down back going forward. Hurd has not demonstrated enough explosion and acceleration to merit the starting job over Kamara (assuming K meets expectations). I will probably get a lot of static over this, but it's true. Hurd is solid, but he is not in the upper echelon of SEC backs.

Say what?

In the words of Bob Uecker (from major league 2):

Obviously (Butch) is thinking...
I don't know what the hell he's thinking.

So it's Butch's system? Then why did most people blame Bajakian for the play calling? Wasn't he just calling Butch's plays?

So it's Butch's system? Then why did most people blame Bajakian for the play calling? Wasn't he just calling Butch's plays?

I think a lot of folks would like to see more of a killer instinct with the play calling. That can be accomplished with the same plays.

He kept Dobbs off the field half the season. You sure he hasn't made a single error?

Dobbs looked horrible against VANDY and was not even the 2nd best guy in practice. Not to mention Worley was playing admirably until the Florida game. The end does not justify the means.

I sometimes think that CBJ thinks his offensive philosophy is the best in the world. My biggest fear is that not enough coaches want to work or LEARN from him. If we just wanted to hire someone that will continue to run the same philosophy, the same terms, then why was Azzanni not the hire from the beginning? And hire a youngster to mold him into the same system. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are going to hire someone from the outside, you should always expect them to bring something to the table that's new to you. That's okay that CBJ didn't want anything new. But I don't understand of hiring someone from the outside that's not bringing anything new to the table. Maybe he is? I don't know. Coaches should constantly be learning new schemes and teaching their philosophies. I like CBJ, but seems to me Tennessee football might be a One Man Show.

I sometimes think that CBJ thinks his offensive philosophy is the best in the world. My biggest fear is that not enough coaches want to work or LEARN from him. If we just wanted to hire someone that will continue to run the same philosophy, the same terms, then why was Azzanni not the hire from the beginning? And hire a youngster to mold him into the same system. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you are going to hire someone from the outside, you should always expect them to bring something to the table that's new to you. That's okay that CBJ didn't want anything new. But I don't understand of hiring someone from the outside that's not bringing anything new to the table. Maybe he is? I don't know. Coaches should constantly be learning new schemes and teaching their philosophies. I like CBJ, but seems to me Tennessee football might be a One Man Show.

Maybe that's exactly why Butch brought DeBord in. He's here to help mold Azzanni into an OC. No one outside of those three really knows what the deal is but obviously Butch trusts DeBord to handle it.

°

Spot on.

There's some real irony in that post....

Seriously?

His 1st and 2nd points: technically true, but misleading about the Vol's trajectory over that 12-13 period...arguably true about Debord's Michigan time, but misleading about Michigan's success as a team. In short, nitpicking facts to mislead about broader truths.

His 3rd point: false.

His 4th point: vindictive and entirely presumptive. And very likely wrong, if you figure CBJ wants to wins championships at Tennessee.

His 5th point: sounds to me like he was being self-descriptive.

And you call that spot on ....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Butch said in his search for a new OC he was going to hire the "best of the best" available. DeBord's record at CMU was 12-34. What a joke.

So we have a true freshman running back that rushed for 899 yds on a 4.5ypc and you are certain he's only a 3rd down back and you are saying that a Juco RB (granted a damn good one by all accounts) that hasnt carried the ball with any significance in the SEC and hes gonna carry the load?

This post is a microcosm of VN.

VN Store

Back