Butch withdraws from Rutgers coaching search

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Unfortunately, that is his car. He’s a multi millionaire. The fact is that we (UT fans) are the one we want to make Butch out to be in that picture.

He’s an intern getting about $200k a month from ole UT. Think about that for a minute and think how stupid it sounds like when we try to mock Jones for washing the windshield of his $130k Benz, one of many he owns. And he’s doing that while wearing a $10k Rolex Submariner. One of about 10 he owns.

So, the reality is that we (UT) are paying an Alabama intern $200,000 a month to make coffee for Saban. And Butch is the butt of the joke? I don’t think so.

Ok Barb, don't get all mad - we're just kidding - how bout more of your awesome chip-dip?
barb 2.jpg

Would not hold up in court if he could prove he already knew he was not going to get the job, because essentially he was not really bailing on anything. That said he could be in line for another position. FSU for example. Personally, I want the guy to do well.
Probably true. Someone posted recently and stated he could down any job offer for whatever personal reason he used and still get paid according to the buyout cause. I do not believe that is an accurate statement. For example, he could turn down an offer from a part of the country that he did not want to go to. I doubt that would hold up legally.

"Please note your obligations under Section 3.1.4 of the Agreement, including without limitation your obligation to use your reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position."[/QUOTE

So he is meeting his obligation and nothing UT can do but pay

I question whether or not he is meeting his obligation. Sitting on a $35K per year analyst job seems far from "making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable employment or paid services position."

That said, if I was in his shoes and could get away with it I'd do exactly what he's doing now.

IMO His withdrawal before Rutger’s announcement should have some ramifications on his buyout provisions from UT. Just wishful thinking on my part but it would be nice if that could happen.

I agree with you completely, but it won’t likely happen. My not so crazy theory is that Fulmer and our administration know that Butch has names, dates, locations, and amounts paid between our top recruits and boosters. Not challenging the buyout ensures he doesn’t turn that info over to the NCAA or leak it to the press. Remember when Kiffin left he gave the NCAA a lot of dirt on us which basically put UT on probation.

His contract spells out that he has a legal obligation to mitigate the university's obligation to lay liquidated damages, by seeking comparable employment, spelled out as a head or assistant coaching position at the college or professional level.
I wonder if withdrawing from consideration would break the "seek comparable employment" portion of it. I doubt it, but it would be worth a look for UTs lawyers. I also doubt hes put any effort into actually finding a better job, or maybe other D1 AD's arent as dumb as Hart was.

Not likely anyone coming from where B*tch is now would put his hat in the ring for a head coaching job and then just withdraw his name.
Clearly, Rutgers told him he isn't wanted and Butch's press agent spins the story to look otherwise.
But no one's buying the spin because we know how this works.

Apparently many on this board don't. Many are posting stupid crap inferring that Rutgers was close to offering him the job, on his terms, and then he withdrew.

I thought there was some clause in his contract that he had to look for gainful employment similar to what he had in good faith. If he turning down job or withdrawing his name then how is this done in good faith and why would Tennessee still be in the hook?

There are many many threads -- including one recent one that's probably not too many pages back -- that pick through the contract with a fine-tooth comb and with lawyers (or lawyer wannabes) on this board explaining why it would be fruitless to go after him until he really does get another job that meets the definition of the contract.

The real problem is that UT gives away the store all the time in these contracts for coaches who have yet to perform at the level we want and expect them to. CBJ should never have been given Saban-level contract terms.

It must be nice to get fired from a job you failed at and continue to get paid years after for failing.. I'm definitely doing something wrong..

You haven't been interviewing with Dave Hart for contracted jobs. It's really a systemic problem having to do with agents and universities filled with fantasies of being number one in football. Since we can't shoot the agents or the ADs writing the contracts, there's not much hope for ending the abuse.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
His contract spells out that he has a legal obligation to mitigate the university's obligation to lay liquidated damages, by seeking comparable employment, spelled out as a head or assistant coaching position at the college or professional level.

Obviously it was Sarcasm. Check the meter.

Apologies, my sick mind just can't get over the title of this thread. It's backwards, should read: "Rutgers withdraws from Butch, headed back to Bama for a shower..."

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back