Butch withdraws from Rutgers coaching search

Dang! You know your football program is in the toilet when Butch Jones turns down a head coaching offer!

Dang! You know your football program is in the toilet when Butch Jones turns down a head coaching offer!

He turned it down as much as I turned down the CEO position at Apple. He withdrew his name because he wasn’t going to be offered the job.

He pulled a Michael Scott.

We should have paid him one year for his Saban internship, but after one year, kinda like unemployment compensation, if he didn't show that he made an effort to land other full time coaching jobs, we're out. Don't know why we wouldn't challenge this.
Public perception... we dont need to be lookin petty when his azz is petty eddie. Has nothing to do with butch and everything to do with the future of our program. Challenging it would just exacerbate the public's perception that Tennessee is not a good job when in fact, it's a top job in the land.

Chalk it up. It's a "L" on the buyout but we are much better off the further removed he is from our program

Generic response. Where are the sources for your opinion? I’m not stating you are wrong but how did you obtain the information to make a definitive statement like this ?
Just because he interviewed doesn't mean he HAS to accept if offered. If it wasn't the right fit he can simply withdraw and he has still help up his end of the deal. Plenty of examples on the Interwebs. Knock yourself out.

Botch is good at Surrendering...….. games, points, recruits, etc...….
So when you know you're going to lose; just pull out and quit. That's not saving face.

Just because he interviewed doesn't mean he HAS to accept if offered. If it wasn't the right fit he can simply withdraw and he has still help up his end of the deal. Plenty of examples on the Interwebs. Knock yourself out.
If he refuses a job offer then the buyout clause should be terminated or adjusted for the salary which was turned down. It may not be how these type of contracts are applied but it should be.

If he refuses a job offer then the buyout clause should be terminated or adjusted for the salary which was turned down. It may not be how these type of contracts are applied but it should be.
"Should be" is your opinion (and many others) but that never holds up in court. As long as he "checks a box" that he is pursuing comparable employment that is enough.

Reactions: savannahfan
Doubt it’d be more than $212k per month for the next 24 months or so. Haven’t tried to sue anybody lately, but surely we’d save a chunk of money if we pursued Jones on this and won.

There isn’t a snowballs chance in Hades that UT would win. In fact, UT probably would have to pay Jones’ legal fees, so UT would then be paying the original amount, its legal fees, and Jones’ legal fees...in other words, even more money.

No need to throw good money after bad. Just keep moving on.

Really folks, this issue needs to be dropped.

"Should be" is your opinion (and many others) but that never holds up in court. As long as he "checks a box" that he is pursuing comparable employment that is enough.
I doubt checking a box is sufficient. If a person is drawing unemployment they have to provide documentation if requested which then can be confirmed by the unemployment office.

Listen: he could get a job coaching SOMEWHERE if he wanted to. Anyone with a pulse could ascertain that he has a petty, vindictive nature that was quite obvious during his tenure at UT. He's going to collect every dime of his buyout money before actively seeking employment. In his mind, he was wrongfully terminated.

Both you guys are not wrong. ABINGDON VOL FAN is correct in his assessment and generally is how it works. Only thing is, he has not been offered a job unless yall know something I dont.
From what I understand, Butch withdrew his name for CONSIDERATION which is not the same as an actual job offer. He actually did the right thing for himself and his family. Rutgers was not going to hire him they are hiring Schiano apparently and butch knew this much sooner than we all did, and rightfully withdrew to save face as another poster stated earlier. That's exactly what happened.

Unfortunately BJ didn't breach jack or sh*t concerning his contract and there can be no recourse nor should there be. Let that man fade into oblivion with his 8 mill .. Tennessee will make that up in merchandise this year probably

He can't wash cars year round at Rutgers.Also,cannot buy "Little Debbie's"there either.In the end,who the help really cares what B..check does as long as it is not here?

Reactions: HalfullVol
If I’m Butch Jones I would stay in football for as long as it takes to get my buyout checks. I’d save that money and retire from football forever.

As it’s been stated, it is hard to shake the past and unless he still loves it why bother? Go do something else that won’t remind you what a failure you were.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
After inspecting the floor of the Rutgers facility, Butch realized there wasn't nearly enough grip and deemed it too slick and too risky. He could take a chance on having slip and fall on a helmet issues again.

Looks like Rutgers is going with Schiano and Butch is doing this to save face

No. I think they actually wanted Lyle Allen. I think he only interviewed for show so the UT couldn't say he hadn't tried to find a position, HC or otherwise to relieve our payout burden. Plus Saban spilled the beans that there had been previous offers.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back