Butch Jones???

I see where Taggart has been hired again as a HC, so one would think Jones could get hired also.
Not you necessarily but there are a lot of people who don't want to see how wrong they were about Jones.

Some saw through him early including players who left. Apparently his used car salesman persona didn't translate well to developing a team culture built on trust- go figure.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lawyers and agents must salivate at the mere thought of negotiating a contract with the dolts at UT.

Jones' contract was pretty much like every other HC's contract at a P5 school. Tennessee is neither the first nor last school to pay people not to coach.

It wasn't a bad contract. It was a bad hire.

I believe 2020 is the last year of the buyout, so he will have to start washing more cars or get a higher paying coaching gig.

I believe 2020 is the last year of the buyout, so he will have to start washing more cars or get a higher paying coaching gig.
8.2 mil / 280k per month = roughly 2.5 years. You do the math. Sounds like sometime in 2020 depending on when the payout started.

Butch was hope after Dooley, that smoke and mirrors disguised for a few years. I thinked he knew after year 3 he was over his head. Unfortunately we got shafted with those last two which gladly revealed he and UT needed to part ways immediately. Moving on....

Reactions: BreatheUT
Do you realize you are wrong?
2017 - AL - #13 scoring offense (pre-Butch)
2018 - AL - #3 scoring offense (w/Butch)
2019 - AL - #2 scoring offense (w/Butch)

yo are correct, "decline" is too vague of a term. Perhaps a more direct thing to state is that since Saban hired Jones, he has failed to win a National Championship.

Reactions: vols40
Butch was hope after Dooley, that smoke and mirrors disguised for a few years. I thinked he knew after year 3 he was over his head.
Huh?

Unfortunately we got shafted with those last two which gladly revealed he and UT needed to part ways immediately. Moving on....
There were several people here that recognized he was badly underperforming from the first year on.

He had 5 NFL caliber players on the OL in his first year... that suddenly seemed to forget how to block once his "scheme" was installed. In the end, they remained the best OL he had in 5 years... and they were the product of someone else's recruiting and development.

Reactions: krichunaka
Amazing that the scum of scum (Petrino, Briles, Freeze) all seemed to be able to find work after their public screw ups. But not Botch Jones. The title IX lawsuit now will be a hurdle he can’t cross. He needs to set his sights on Div 1-AA.
Of course, all those guys won big and Butch ...well not so much.

If you can't learn from your mistakes, you are an idiot. We at TN have not been able to learn from our mistakes, we must be honest. We had to pay Dooley $$$5,000,000.00 for his buy out. We didn't learn as we then hired boy butch and had to pay him(still paying) $$$8,100,000.00 for his buy out. Our AD isn't smart enough to negotiate a contract that pays (and pay big) for results, not so much for crap. They haven't been smart enough to realize how poorly they negotiate, for if they did, they would hire a professional negotiator. SABAN worked without any buy out at all when he went to BAMA, he felt if he couldn't do the job, BAMA should be able to fire him-that is a stand up guy. He has one [buy-out] now, but he has earned his contract and buy out, with results. Those that say we couldn't get a great coach without a huge buy-out clause, etc. are the ones that can't learn from previous mistakes, and can't learn from the history of other programs. Don't forget, there was a large number of boy butch fans, many on this very board! They would attack you, if you questioned boy butch's ability to HC UT, they aren't that upset that the object of their man-crush is still getting paid.
You apparently have very little understanding of how big time CFB HC contracts work in the current climate. The reality is that a new HC may get fired in yr 2 or 3 at top (rich) programs with demanding, impatient fans. See Willie Taggart, or UT fans post-BYU game. Coaches, and Jimmy Sexton, know this is the reality so large buyouts are the norm, not the exception. Also LOL at referencing Saban’s Hiring 12 yrs ago when he already had a MNC ring in the SEC.

Reactions: SaintLouisVol
I have read more from more than once source that the payments are through February of 2021, which seems about right based on the numbers that have been reported.
I think I calc'd it today at about 2.5 years so that would be about right from the time he was let go.

VN Store

Back