Butch Jones got a promotion

I doubt this would even enter into discussions when it comes to his next coaching job. This is something a lot of UT fans line to obsess about, but probably wouldn’t even register on anyone else’s radar. At worst, they just wouldn’t give him the same buyout terms. It’s Tennessee’s own dumb fault for structuring it that way, Butch is just taking advantage of the situation. I mean, we did fire him, so it’s not like he’s gonna feel sorry for us paying him like we said we would in the contract.
As far as UT being stupid, that goes beyond saying...

But if the bold is true its important for 2 reasons.

1. He blew up bad enough for UT to fire him with that buyout
2. He's willing to milk it out (if you believe he could land another meaningful job)

If thats the case and you just decide to not give him that kind of payout (or possibly not reach an agreement) assuming termination. In which case it very well played into your thoughts or discussions on hiring him.

Lyle is laughing all the way to the bank.
Honestly, UT is the one that gave him such a stupid buyout.
I would have loved to have been in the room when he found out we were canning him. Did he cry, did he laugh, did he get angry? I guess I will never know...

He was ready to go well before he was officially fired.
Like when he dropped games in Columbia and Nashville and then didn't understand why everybody wasn't excited about beating a bad Nebraska team at LP Field.

I seriously doubt that Jones is working at Alabama just to screw over Tennessee, and I doubt even more that Saban is doing it for the same reasons. Jones is only in his early 50s, and the Volunteer gravy train is going to run out pretty soon. It makes a great deal of sense that he's trying to get better as a football coach and learn how to improve the areas of his program that suffered when he was HC. I have doubts that he actually can do that, but it makes the most sense that it is what he is attempting.

He had some pretty big holes in his game as a HC. Why would he take another HC job at a tiny school and work with other coaches that only can get jobs at a tiny school? He wouldn't get any better, and if he lost there, his career is over. By going to Alabama, he's at a top program, he's maintaining connections with the elite coaches in CFB, and he's got a front row seat to the workings of a CFB program that has been as consistently dominant as any for the past decade or more .

Makes all the sense in the world to me, even if UT is making his house payments.

Reactions: chattaboogie
I seriously doubt that Jones is working at Alabama just to screw over Tennessee, and I doubt even more that Saban is doing it for the same reasons. Jones is only in his early 50s, and the Volunteer gravy train is going to run out pretty soon. It makes a great deal of sense that he's trying to get better as a football coach and learn how to improve the areas of his program that suffered when he was HC. I have doubts that he actually can do that, but it makes the most sense that it is what he is attempting.

He had some pretty big holes in his game as a HC. Why would he take another HC job at a tiny school and work with other coaches that only can get jobs at a tiny school? He wouldn't get any better, and if he lost there, his career is over. By going to Alabama, he's at a top program, he's maintaining connections with the elite coaches in CFB, and he's got a front row seat to the workings of a CFB program that has been as consistently dominant as any for the past decade or more .

Makes all the sense in the world to me, even if UT is making his house payments.

I don't know that he actively tried to land at Bama just to piss UT off but I doubt he really worries about the optics of lit cigars in the visiting locker room at Neyland either.

Right now he's living in a perfect world. No stress, no expectations, riding coat tails, and getting paid well by somebody else to do it.

His best bet is find a low expectation job that doesn't mind his corny slogans and 6-8 win seasons. Either that or be a coordinator.

Reactions: OG.V83
Reactions: OG.V83
Lyle is laughing all the way to the bank.
Honestly, UT is the one that gave him such a stupid buyout.
I would have loved to have been in the room when he found out we were canning him. Did he cry, did he laugh, did he get angry? I guess I will never know...
I don’t know, these guys are about ego and image. His inability to get a job shows UT absolutely did the right thing in firing him. Hart should be strung up for that coaching search.

Being the assistant TO the head coach is about as pathetic as it gets. He’s a ****ing errand boy.

Reactions: stevenrich2003
He’ll still be shining his Daddy’s dancing shoes.
GEiRyA4.gif
The electric slide?!

I want him to remain at Bama, long enough to get his ass handed to him by the Vols. It is coming. He knows it. Saban knows it. Then Saban will pull him into his office, and say, "That is how a real coach builds a successful SEC Program. Now GTFO of my office, and go back to coaching some loser mid-major program, you hack."

Reactions: VolDave53
Everything about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The guy was way in over his head and the results were not surprising. The fact that Tennessee has to keep paying this a-hole big bucks for being Saban's lawn jockey has me hoping that a big end sweep finishes with a tailback taking Butch out.

I feel sorry for Butch in one way...he’s going to look back at these years (years he doesn’t have to waste) and regret trading his passion for coaching for $$$ out of spite.

I truly believe the hate has a hold of him.

Just let it go. Go find a job you love doing and love your family. Hanging on to so much hate for UT will destroy him.
No P5 AD in their right mind would hire Butch. He might end up at Kent St or Miami OH eventually. Im sure even Eastern and Western Michigan would pass on him. The guy is a fraud and everyone in the business knows it.

Reactions: feathersax

Exactly. Does it suck that we’re still paying him ? Yes.
Would I do the same thing in his shoes? Yes.

But your forgetting his main issue, he's not at bama to get better he honestly believes he's a great coach already. He's there to have a job and get paid from UT. Guaranteed, after our checks stop or are about to stop he'll end up as head coach or something at a rinky dink school where he'll probably do ok

Everything about this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The guy was way in over his head and the results were not surprising. The fact that Tennessee has to keep paying this a-hole big bucks for being Saban's lawn jockey has me hoping that a big end sweep finishes with a tailback taking Butch out.
Butch's time is coming to an end. He is sending a message to every AD in the country about his real desire to be a coach. They also are seeing his willingness to screw over the University that would take a chance on him. He will never have a p5 HC job again.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back