Butch Jones Follies

Butch's most successful teams at Central Michigan and Cincy were in year 3, when most of Kelly's players were gone. The only truly awful year he had was his first year at Cincinnati because there was so much attrition from the Kelly team that went 12-1 the previous season.

He's totally a used car salesman as you said, but the lower levels that can lead to some success.

I think he used to be, but time will tell if he can be this time. I haven't done any deep diving analysis or anything but it seems like guys like Jones that do well in on the way up and then get fired and go back down don't seem to do as well when they go back down. Some do but feels like most kind of fade away or go back to coordinator roles.

I think he used to be, but time will tell if he can be this time. I haven't done any deep diving analysis or anything but it seems like guys like Jones that do well in on the way up and then get fired and go back down don't seem to do as well when they go back down. Some do but feels like most kind of fade away or go back to coordinator roles.

There wasn’t nearly enough attrition to account for the slide Butch had with the Bearcats. They’d have still won 9 or 10 had Brian Kelly stayed another year.

Please...I know someone will reply that I am, I'm not throwing any shades here but can we just move on from him ?

There wasn’t nearly enough attrition to account for the slide Butch had with the Bearcats. They’d have still won 9 or 10 had Brian Kelly stayed another year.
Well yeah, because if Brian Kelly stayed not as many guys would have transferred to begin with, plus he's just a better coach than Butch.

In Kelly's 3 full seasons at Cincy he went 10-3, 11-3, and 12-0. Butch, once he was able to get things going there, only went 10-3 and 9-3. Just because he wasn't as good as Kelly doesn't mean Butch was a bad coach at that level.

Butch was bad here, so I get why there's a desire to really dig into his record at the previous stops and go "Well we should have known, he wasn't good there either." However bad of a coach he might be, he was doing something right at Central Michigan and Cincy. If he was purely coattail-riding, then he would have had his best team in that first year and gone downhill after that. At both stops (especially Cincy), actually the opposite happened.

Well yeah, because if Brian Kelly stayed not as many guys would have transferred to begin with, plus he's just a better coach than Butch.

In Kelly's 3 full seasons at Cincy he went 10-3, 11-3, and 12-0. Butch, once he was able to get things going there, only went 10-3 and 9-3. Just because he wasn't as good as Kelly doesn't mean Butch was a bad coach at that level.

Butch was bad here, so I get why there's a desire to really dig into his record at the previous stops and go "Well we should have known, he wasn't good there either." However bad of a coach he might be, he was doing something right at Central Michigan and Cincy. If he was purely coattail-riding, then he would have had his best team in that first year and gone downhill after that. At both stops (especially Cincy), actually the opposite happened.
He wasn’t very good, either. He took a program at the top of the conference and managed to not run it into the ditch in three years. It would have ended in disaster if he’d stayed there long enough.

Arguing using imaginary facts is just not very interesting. When the imaginary facts are about Butch Jones, then i would say somebody needs to get a job. Or maybe a 2nd job.

Arguing using imaginary facts is just not very interesting. When the imaginary facts are about Butch Jones, then i would say somebody needs to get a job. Or maybe a 2nd job.
And when arguing against the immiganiary facts argument means that someone should......?

Butch lost to Dooley. Case closed.

God forbid I have to defend Butch on this point, but that’s not really a fair comparison because Cincinnati was nowhere near Tennessee talent wise at that point in the 2011 season. That game was before Justin Hunter was hurt vs Florida and it was the one time during Dooley’s years here that it looked like we could actually compete. Brian Kelly could’ve still been coaching Cincinnati and we would have wiped the floor with them.

God forbid I have to defend Butch on this point, but that’s not really a fair comparison because Cincinnati was nowhere near Tennessee talent wise at that point in the 2011 season. That game was before Justin Hunter was hurt vs Florida and it was the one time during Dooley’s years here that it looked like we could actually compete. Brian Kelly could’ve still been coaching Cincinnati and we would have wiped the floor with them.
Reported for making a positive post about the total arse hat Jones!

Fair enough. You make valid points.

But He still lost to Dooley. It's on his resume

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
On a happy note, I'm pleased to report that the Arky State season is over.

With today's loss to the Texas State Bobcats, the Red Wolves built, brick by brick, an enviable 2-10 record! While not quite an effort worthy of bowl game consideration, Coach Jones can bask in the knowledge that he is now free to enjoy the many off-season pursuits afforded by the Greater Jonesboro, Arkansas Metro Area. Duck hunting, bowling, and even miniature golf have earned Jonesboro the reputation of being, "The Gem of the Prairie."

With all those pesky losses behind him, it's said that Coach Jones will likely be found honing his handicap at the Backwater Basin Country Club and Chiropractic. Reputed to be a most affable and approachable local treasure, Coach Jones welcomes autograph seekers and general kooks of every kind!

Congratulations, Coach!

Last edited:
On a happy note, I'm pleased to report that the Arky State season is over.

With today's loss to the Texas State Bobcats, the Red Wolves built, brick by brick, an enviable 2-10 record! While not quite an effort worthy of bowl game consideration, Coach Jones can bask in the knowledge that he is now free to enjoy the many off-season pursuits afforded by the Greater Jonesboro, Arkansas Metro Area. Duck hunting, bowling, and miniature golf have earned Jonesboro praise as being, "The Gem of the Prairie."

With those pesky Saturdays behind him, it's said that Coach Jones may often be found honing his handicap at the Backwater Basin Country Club and Chiropractic. Reputed to be an affable and approachable local treasure, Coach Jones welcomes autograph seekers and general kooks of every kind!

Congratulations, Coach!
Lol… excellent

A post script to the above missive. This just in: It is reported that Coach Butch Jones wasn't entirely satisfied with the Red Wolves 2 wins this season, as only 1 of the wins was against an actual FBS opponent. Accordingly, Jones and his entire staff have enthusiastically endorsed an ambitious, "Strive for Five," campaign for 2022. One unnamed assistant was quoted as saying, " we will try to win five games next year, but if we only win four, that would still be twice the number of wins we had this season, right?"

Back to you, Bob!

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
It’s all about the power of the what the hell ever is on the side of your helmet.
I bet they even had a workmanlike approach and gave a 3-6 effort to have prideful performance while playing complimentary football. Because as we all know, football is life slowed down. So the real question is.. YOU GOT MY BACK?????

Also, do they have a statue of legend former coach for him to mimic on the field the first time they beat a team with a pulse? (Remember that?)

It’s all about the power of the what the hell ever is on the side of your helmet.
I bet they even had a workmanlike approach and gave a 3-6 effort to have prideful performance while playing complimentary football. Because as we all know, football is life slowed down. So the real question is.. YOU GOT MY BACK?????

Also, do they have a statue of legend former coach for him to mimic on the field the first time they beat a team with a pulse? (Remember that?)
Hmmm....pondering this, as it suggests that Butch Jones may be a walking, talking cliche'! 🙄😂

Butch is not a good coach but you sell him kind of short. He's at Arkansas St now, not some big job.

Butch coached 2 places before he came to Tennessee and was actually pretty good at each. Yes he followed Brian Kelly both times but his best teams at Central Michigan and Cincy were in his 3rd season there, when most of Kelly's players were gone. I bet Central Michigan would take him back - they've actually stunk overall since he left.

He absolutely does not belong in any sort of big job but he is capable of being successful at smaller jobs.
Dude did alright here in all but his first and last season.

VN Store

Back