Burns enters transfer portal

Is Winthrop D-1 (or whatever it's called) or can he play immediately? I should know that. My cousin played baseball at Winthrop.

Isn't it basically him going home? He might be able to swing a hardship if he can get a relative to cough loudly.

Isn't it basically him going home? He might be able to swing a hardship if he can get a relative to cough loudly.

Yes but the school he left would have to say he left under no trouble. Maybe we will lie but I doubt it

Unless he was “officially “ charged with something while at UT, then I would question whether UT could say anything about Burns other than provide a copy of his transcript?

It'll be interesting to see, but I would be surprised if he's eligible immediately. Winthrop is in Rock Hill, which is the town he's from, so maybe that will help him

Unless he was “officially “ charged with something while at UT, then I would question whether UT could say anything about Burns other than provide a copy of his transcript?

Part of the appeal process is for the school the player is leaving to file a report on their academic and social status. That’s the worry

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Good luck to Burns at Winthrop.
Yeah hopefully being closer to home will put him in a better position to shake whatever issues he had. Best of luck to the kid. also I think both Barnes and Fulmer are too classy to tar and feather the kid. If his issues were that bad they woulda hit the news.

Probably the best thing for both Burns and UT's BB program for him to move on. Addition by subtraction AND a fresh start for Burns. I hope that he thrives in his new environment.

Last edited:
So, no possibility the Barnes staff mishandled this?

I don't have the details. I'll trust that he did what's right. I hated that Detrick Mostella was let go a few years ago. We could sure use Kwe Parker next season. But those were coaching decisions made in the best interests of building a program.

Sure it's possible Barnes could be making mistakes, but I doubt that that is the case. He's been an NCAA coach for a long time and I believe that he makes sound decisions. I would think that Burns was given every opportunity to contribute to TN's BB program.

I'd say that it's possible that Barnes mishandled the evaluation of Burns. But 14, 15, 16 year olds are going to be unpredictable. Some don't work out.

Burns landed at Winthrop. Maybe Barnes helped him end up there. If so, I wouldn't think that CRB mishandled the situation.

I don't have the details. I'll trust that he did what's right. I hated that Detrick Mostella was let go a few years ago. We could sure use Kwe Parker next season. But those were coaching decisions made in the best interests of building a program.

Sure it's possible Barnes could be making mistakes, but I doubt that that is the case. He's been an NCAA coach for a long time and I believe that he makes sound decisions. I would think that Burns was given every opportunity to contribute to TN's BB program.

I'd say that it's possible that Barnes mishandled the evaluation of Burns. But 14, 15, 16 year olds are going to be unpredictable. Some don't work out.

Burns landed at Winthrop. Maybe Barnes helped him end up there. If so, I wouldn't think that CRB mishandled the situation.
Still frustrating. No one hesitated to throw out rumors stirring up stink about the kid:

He wasn’t kicked off the team. He transferred. There is absolutely zero that he was ever suspended. He’s obviously a hard worker as he’s transformed his body in less than one year. And, appears to be in Good academic standing. I guess he didn’t drink the baptismal water.

Still frustrating. No one hesitated to throw out rumors stirring up stink about the kid:

He wasn’t kicked off the team. He transferred. There is absolutely zero that he was ever suspended. He’s obviously a hard worker as he’s transformed his body in less than one year. And, appears to be in Good academic standing. I guess he didn’t drink the baptismal water.

So if Barnes gave Burns his walking papers and allowed him to pursue a transfer, he handled it pretty well.

Players don't have to be suspended before being encouraged to leave. With the need in the front court Barnes would have publicly been trying to encourage Burns to stay and contribute if he thought that it was best for the team to keep him on the roster. Clearly there was a problem and I'm glad that Barnes respects player's privacy instead of airing issues publicly.

He was probably upset with Barnes's salary.

Just because there is video of Burns working out does not mean he is an SEC player or a team player. Hope he has a good career at Winthrop. If he was highly sought after, he would not be at Winthrop.

Lots of issues with him from multiple sources. There is a reason he is at Winthrop and not any decent school

VN Store

Back