Burnett and Leak

DWNSTHVOL

I feel what KB is saying about the Leak situation, but it is one month to kick off and he does not need to put any more wood in the fire. Suck it up and try to play football this is not going to start out right if we all ready have the media starting to say things concerrning our Linebacker and QB this will tear this team apart in my view what is yours.

Do your talking on the field Kevin. We all agree with ya, but ACTIONS speak louder than words.

One too many Leaks for Burnett
Recruiting saga creates conflict for UT co-captain

By GARY LUNDY, lundy@knews.com
July 30, 2004

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Because of his dislike of Florida quarterback Chris Leak, Tennessee co-captain Kevin Burnett said Thursday it can be awkward being around UT quarterback C.J. Leak.

C.J., a senior, is expected to start preseason practice as the Vols' No. 1 quarterback. His brother, Chris, is a sophomore starting quarterback at Florida.
When Chris was a highly recruited senior, he questioned the integrity of Vols coach Phillip Fulmer in an ESPN.com column after C.J. was pulled from the Georgia game in 2002.

"I don't like Chris for the simple fact that he talked bad about my school and I really do not appreciate that,'' Burnett said at SEC Media Days.

Burnett said he has expressed his feelings about Chris to C.J.

"He (C.J) got mad at me one day,'' Burnett said.

"That's his brother. That's his family. I understand. But tell your family to keep Tennessee's name out of the mud. Blood's thicker than mud."

Asked specifically if his dislike of Chris created an awkward situation with C.J., Burnett responded, "really it does, but I don't care.

"You are either with me or against me. And if you are against me, I feel sorry for you. This is a hungry Tennessee football team. There's nothing more scary than a crazed dog (unless it's) a hungry, crazed dog.''

At one point, the Vols appeared to have the inside track to sign Chris but Fulmer reportedly pulled the scholarship offer following the ESPN.com incident. Before his relationship with Fulmer turned sour, the younger Leak often visited UT's practices. In March 2003, a month after signing with the Gators, Chris showed up unannounced at UT's spring drills to watch C.J. practice. Burnett indicated he was baffled by the way Chris handled the recruiting process.

"Why did he come around if he didn't want to go there?'' Burnett said. "It blows my mind . . .

"I feel like from a man's standpoint it's hard to respect somebody after you go find bad things to say about one school, but then you go to another school.

"Be man enough to say 'I just didn't want to go there.' I'm disappointed in the fact he didn't just come right out and say, 'I don't want to go to Tennessee,' instead of running our name through the mud.

"I feel like coach Fulmer feels about that situation. Don't run my name through the mud. Just say you don't like it."

Burnett probably shouldn't be saying those things but he does have a point.

well I have big feelings on this myself. I understand CJ and Chris are brothers but its football time. Its me vs you....brother or not..Im whippin your azz! CJ has no business going and working with Chris as he has been doing showing Chris what He and Manning work on. If I were a VOL I would be hot. Manning is helping CJ get ready to fill some big shoes. Why help Chris? I think Fulmer should be putting a stop to it. I also think if KB a captain is upset and unhappy with a situation as a captain he needs to speak out to fix it. CJ should be avoiding contact with Chris till after the Game Vs the Gators. I know alot of people wont agree with that but Just the way I feel, this is Tennessee and Football is serious here if CJ doesnt understand that by now hes not going to. If KB is uneasy with the vols QB, maybe there is something to that? A trust issue? I dont think CJ would sell out the vols to help Chris but In my opinion avoid it all together, if Schaeffer is ready for Sept 5th I think its a no brainer He gets the nod and the Vols have a great duel threat QB. just wanna see the vols with the best chance to win "as a team"

Go Vols

I don`t feel real comfortable with having a senior starter. What about next year? Do we rebuild again? I don`t think CJ would jepordize the vols game by running off at the mouth to his brother Chris.He`s stood by Tennessee and was patient for the chance to take the starting job.However, I really think if he was the best for the job we would have seen him alot more before now.I also don`t think Rick Clausen is ready either, I would definately start Brent Schaeffer.He`s a duel threat. Just what the vols need.Tee Martin showed us all how well that can work in 98.I love the vols heart and soul, but I`d really like to see us get back to smash mouth football.It`s what were best at and well known for.As for Burnett, he has the right to feel whatever way he chooses, but I dont think it was right to make the comments he did.If he had a problem with a teammate, he should have taken his own advice and taken it up with CJ.Not in front of a bunch of reporters just waiting for something negative to run with.He`s a great player and leader I hope him and Leak can work this out and do what they came to Knoxville to do and that`s play football. GO VOLS!!!!!!!

Originally posted by copper2@Aug 1, 2004 1:54 PM
.If he had a problem with a teammate, he should have taken his own advice and taken it up with CJ.Not in front of a bunch of reporters just waiting for something negative to run with

True!

Welcome to VolNation cooper2. Glad to have ya.

:welcome: :welcome:

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 1, 2004 1:04 PM

True!

Welcome to VolNation cooper2. Glad to have ya.

:welcome: :welcome:

Thank you for the welcome.Im glad you agree.

I can just imagine the headlines now. The brother-vs-brother element is going to be driven into the ground. I just hope OUR side of the family WINS!!

VN Store

Back