Bullet points from The Athletic on UT Football

He had 104 carries last year for a 4.1 ypc which was the lowest of the 3 main RBs last year. I think Tee Hodge and Jabari Small can more than make up for his absence. I would actually take this years group over last year.

I agree, Jordan was a pretty poor option at RB.

He had 104 carries last year for a 4.1 ypc which was the lowest of the 3 main RBs last year. I think Tee Hodge and Jabari Small can more than make up for his absence. I would actually take this years group over last year.
Agree. It seems we've gone by RB by committee forever. If we're forced to primarily have two work horses, subsidized by Frosh, I'm ok with that. Chandler and Gray are worthy and if OL is as legit as it seems, then rushing game may actually be a strength for the first time in a long time...working into play action that Chaney likes.

He ran in more short yardage situations also.

The loss of Tim Jordan really hurts our RB depth.
Eh, we got Fils-aime for depth if we need him. Jordan wasn't significantly better than him. Plus some of these young guys seem like they'll be better than either one of them like Small and Hodge. I think the way Gray and Chandler have played, they were going to get the lion's share of the carries anyway.

D Line will be fine. Middleton, Garland, Solomon, Emerson, Butler, and Bumphus are all solid players. We still got some young guys like Omari, Simmons, Bailey, Harris, Mincey all waiting in the wings. We'll be fine. If they're struggling against the offensive line, that's good news for the offensive line.
That's my take as well. I really don't want to hear our DL has dominated the OL in practice. But I think the DL will be fine.

I get that but we still need a pass rush.
yes we need a pass rush, and we also need to be able to stop, or at least contain, the running game, or it won't matter what kind of offense you have. So, that worries me

From David Ubben
-Trey Smith looks better than ever.
- Henry To’o To’o is leading the defense. Crouch and Banks competing for the other ILB
-Tennessee’s freshman receivers are earning early buzz.
-Tee Martin wants to get Velus Jones Jr. the ball.
Stretches the field
-The defensive line is struggling for multiple reasons. Lack of elite talent and loss of practices
-Darnell Wright is holding off K’Rojhn Calbert at right tackle.
-The running back room must find depth.
-Shrout is winning the backup job.
-If any play-callers are out, Pruitt feels OK.
Pruitt will call the defense, T the offense.
-The outside linebacker position battle will be heated.
-Tennessee’s secondary will be more versatile than last year.
-The Vols’ corners are having a much better offseason.
-A young offensive line standout.
Javontez Spraggins
-Defensively, Key Lawrence has been the best freshman.
-The Vols have mostly avoided major preseason injuries.
thanks for the info

Not worried about the d-line. They did really well down the stretch last season and pretty much everyone on the line is back. They've had to practice with a lot of younger guys and back-ups due to COVID issues. The upside of that is the guys won't be as beat up, but the downside is that they'll probably be a bit sloppy with technique the first couple of games. With the talent and expectations for the o-line, it would be more concerning if the d-line was doing well. They should be getting pushed around.

Hoping the ding against the D-line is because they go against one of the best O-lines in the country and just look subpar in practice.

Reactions: preacherwebb
The loss of Tim Jordan really hurts our RB depth.

RB depth much better this year than last. Nothing against Jordan, but he was an average SEC RB at best.

So long as we have Gray and Chandler, we're good. We have loads of young depth there as well with Small, Whitehead, and Hodge. And we still have Crouch for short yardage / goal-line.

I'm more worried about replacing Jennings and Callaway's production at WR. I like our young WRs, but difficult to replace those 2 guys.

D Line will be fine. Middleton, Garland, Solomon, Emerson, Butler, and Bumphus are all solid players. We still got some young guys like Omari, Simmons, Bailey, Harris, Mincey all waiting in the wings. We'll be fine. If they're struggling against the offensive line, that's good news for the offensive line.
Exactly what I think. In years past this would be a horrible sign, but considering we have what I think to be one of the best o lines in the SEC, this is expected. It’d be awesome to see us dominate the trenches in USCjr game

If our defensive line goes there and doesn't even know how to line up like Georgia St last year, I'm going to be heated.
I’ll be disappointed, but considering how limited practices have been I won’t be as mad as last year. Last year was inexcusable; what were they doing during practice?

Eh, we got Fils-aime for depth if we need him. Jordan wasn't significantly better than him.

I quoted your post to say Fils-Aime also has a ton more speed than Jordan too. However, I looked up the roster to make sure I was spelling his name correctly, and he is not even listed. The 2019 roster has him listed as a senior, but I thought he redshirted last year. Odd?

I quoted your post to say Fils-Aime also has a ton more speed than Jordan too. However, I looked up the roster to make sure I was spelling his name correctly, and he is not even listed. The 2019 roster has him listed as a senior, but I thought he redshirted last year. Odd?
He did redshirt.. Wonder what happened

He's on the ESPN roster, and 247 literally just mentioned him in an article yesterday. He's not on the official roster on UTsports. Not sure what that's all about.

yea, but I liked his toughness...hope he gets his act together...

The d line doesn’t have that first round guy, but it has a lot of big, string guys. Should be a run stopping machine.

VN Store

Back