BTO’s UNC-Asheville Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. We are 1-0, I don’t put too much into only winning by 15, that was a ~25 point lead for much of the second half and we let off the gas big time and final score was much closer than the game really was. Vols shot fine 51%fg 35%3ptfg, outrebounded them by 20, and defended well also...cut those turnovers down to a respectable number and that score looks much different.

2. Turnovers were an absolute killer...and what’s crazy is that of the 17 total turnovers 13 came from Turner/Bowden/James, that’s not what you expect. The silver lining is other guys took care of the ball, but those 3 mentioned have to do better.

3. The defense was pretty good tonight, having a DRTG of 0.887 is solid, and take away the 11 point run to close the game or whatever it was and that number is even better. I think there’s a decent chance this team is better defensively than last years squad was, however it’s unlikely the offense approaches that level.

4. Individually, I think we saw a lot of positives from some guys...I need to see Yves Pons do it consistently and against better competition, but he looked a lot like Armani Moore in that role tonight. For his professional future I get trying to develop on the wing made sense, but for this team and college basketball being an undersized 4 appears then better fit. 29mins 15pts 7rbds 2ast and 0to is about as great of a line as you can ask for.

5. Continuation from above...I thought Gaines & Nkamhoua both showed some flashes and reason for optimism. You look back to Alexander, Grant, Bone etc. and those guys started somewhere as well, I think we saw some flashes tonight from the freshman. Gaines gives you 9pts 3rbd 1ast 1stl in just 10 mins, Nkamhoua gives you 7pts and 7rbds in just 15 minutes, the 2 freshman combined for only 1to in 25 minutes of action. They appear to be the 7&8 guys off the bench, they’ll have the luxury of watching and not being forced too much like say Williams and Bone and crew were, they’ll also hopefully not have to suffer through 2 rough years either...I think there’s reason to feel good about those guys future at Tennessee.

6. As I started with, we are 1-0, never complain about a win, especially this year as they may be a bit harder to come by this season. I could be wrong but I don’t see this team rattling off 25 wins, so they’re going to need to win every game they “should” in order to make the dance, they did that tonight. If we are gonna break the season into sections these first 5 games we gotta go 4-1 or 5-0, we took the first step and started out with a W. Plenty to work in coming off that game and the Vols will have a week to work on things before Murray State comes in and the competition ramps up a little bit.

GBO!!!

I thought defensively the team looked pretty good and did a good job rebounding. I’m not sure they didn’t get tired at end of each half thou.

Reactions: sport3500
Looked pretty good considering all the newcomers. Nkam was impressive as BTO says. Jalen had some offensive splash as well. Hope he continues to improve. Maybe I missed it but is Kent hurt? I missed a lot of the second half, did he get any minutes at all?

It seems that Turner had several games last year with several turnovers. I would expect a better performance from Turner and Bowden considering the experience.

Looking at 18-20 wins IMO.

Good writeup BTO. Thanks!

Looked pretty good considering all the newcomers. Nkam was impressive as BTO says. Jalen had some offensive splash as well. Hope he continues to improve. Maybe I missed it but is Kent hurt? I missed a lot of the second half, did he get any minutes at all?

It seems that Turner had several games last year with several turnovers. I would expect a better performance from Turner and Bowden considering the experience.

Looking at 18-20 wins IMO.

Good writeup BTO. Thanks!
Kent played mop up duty, about last 5 minutes or so.

Kent didn’t look good doing it either. The lead collapsed and he just looked out of place.....no stats at all in 4 minutes.....while giving up points and rebounds.

Encouraging that they maintained the double digit rebounding margin with a team that had a bit more length than ENM. Like to see that continue.

Encouraging that they maintained the double digit rebounding margin with a team that had a bit more length than ENM. Like to see that continue.

I could be wrong but with this teams athleticism & and overall length, I don’t think they will struggle (normally) in rebounding......now they may vs really good teams......but they could struggle “all around” vs really good teams.

1. We are 1-0, I don’t put too much into only winning by 15, that was a ~25 point lead for much of the second half and we let off the gas big time and final score was much closer than the game really was. Vols shot fine 51%fg 35%3ptfg, outrebounded them by 20, and defended well also...cut those turnovers down to a respectable number and that score looks much different.

2. Turnovers were an absolute killer...and what’s crazy is that of the 17 total turnovers 13 came from Turner/Bowden/James, that’s not what you expect. The silver lining is other guys took care of the ball, but those 3 mentioned have to do better.

3. The defense was pretty good tonight, having a DRTG of 0.887 is solid, and take away the 11 point run to close the game or whatever it was and that number is even better. I think there’s a decent chance this team is better defensively than last years squad was, however it’s unlikely the offense approaches that level.

4. Individually, I think we saw a lot of positives from some guys...I need to see Yves Pons do it consistently and against better competition, but he looked a lot like Armani Moore in that role tonight. For his professional future I get trying to develop on the wing made sense, but for this team and college basketball being an undersized 4 appears then better fit. 29mins 15pts 7rbds 2ast and 0to is about as great of a line as you can ask for.

5. Continuation from above...I thought Gaines & Nkamhoua both showed some flashes and reason for optimism. You look back to Alexander, Grant, Bone etc. and those guys started somewhere as well, I think we saw some flashes tonight from the freshman. Gaines gives you 9pts 3rbd 1ast 1stl in just 10 mins, Nkamhoua gives you 7pts and 7rbds in just 15 minutes, the 2 freshman combined for only 1to in 25 minutes of action. They appear to be the 7&8 guys off the bench, they’ll have the luxury of watching and not being forced too much like say Williams and Bone and crew were, they’ll also hopefully not have to suffer through 2 rough years either...I think there’s reason to feel good about those guys future at Tennessee.

6. As I started with, we are 1-0, never complain about a win, especially this year as they may be a bit harder to come by this season. I could be wrong but I don’t see this team rattling off 25 wins, so they’re going to need to win every game they “should” in order to make the dance, they did that tonight. If we are gonna break the season into sections these first 5 games we gotta go 4-1 or 5-0, we took the first step and started out with a W. Plenty to work in coming off that game and the Vols will have a week to work on things before Murray State comes in and the competition ramps up a little bit.

GBO!!!
You forgot to add, Epstein didn't kill himself.

Sounds like injuries are really killing us from creating some cohesion. Barnes mentioned in the presser that Fulky missed the last two practices with a groin issue. If we can get our main 9 in the rotation all practicing at the same time, we should see marked improvement in on court chemistry.

Sounds like injuries are really killing us from creating some cohesion. Barnes mentioned in the presser that Fulky missed the last two practices with a groin issue. If we can get our main 9 in the rotation all practicing at the same time, we should see marked improvement in on court chemistry.
And before that Olivier was injured in the Dav. scrimmage game and missed practice. Definitely been an issue early.

Reactions: Vols All Day
There are 2 mystery men. The 4th guy in grey warmups with Bailey, Uros, and Pember AND the Zach Kent situation.

To add to the previous analysis that he ain't no good I'll sling some additional **** against the board to see if it sticks.

Yes, Kent did initially enter the game very late. BUT he played along with 3 of the starters and, iirc, JJ who started versus Southwestern New Mexico Tech last week. So it's debatable whether or not that constitutes mop up time.

One possibility that hasn't been floated yet is that since he's been so injury prone they're being careful about working him unnecessarily. It may not be a good risk-reward equation to put him on the floor versus an inferior opponent that did not have a comparably sized big to get him some work. Don't forget that Fulkerson was affected for several years while getting minutes versus a scrub team a few years ago. Also if Pember will be unavailable, the scholarship roster is down to 9. It might be better to preserve your tallest player rather than getting him some work.

It's possible that O(R)N has just blown past him.

Attempt at motivational psychology.

He could have had the illness that's being passed around Knoxville. I'm on the backside of the worst cold that I've had in a decade or two.

Maybe he had an issue with a class and had to miss some practice time this week.

It's easy for certain basher posters to just start up with their he sux narrative. But tell me why Barnes didn't empty the bench? Jancek and Fleschman didn't see the court.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Also, another crazy possibility. He's in his 3rd year and there's very little video of him for opponents to examine and find the soft spots. Perhaps he's a secret assassin that will put a cap in FSU's backside.

Team looked slow and lethargic in the first half, but woke up in the second. I think they will continue to get better as they gel, considering all these new pieces or roles. I am concerned, however, that we will have dry spells offensively from time to time.

It's easy for certain basher posters to just start up with their he sux narrative. But tell me why Barnes didn't empty the bench? Jancek and Fleschman didn't see the court.

Probably because Tennessee has 4 true freshman who will have to play and contribute valuable minutes. Three of those were available and needed the time. Not to mention Johnson, and Pons also “need” the minutes.

I’m sorry but Jancek and Fleschman don’t “need” the time as they will “not” be relied uoon.

At this point you have to wonder why Kent is still on this roster. Year three and still not in the rotation. Uh...Maybe next year or 2027 he will crack it.
I want him to succeed but I'm not holding my breath. At this point to answer your question I feel like Barnes looks at him as a lost soul needing saved that he cant give up on.

Probably because Tennessee has 4 true freshman who will have to play and contribute valuable minutes. Three of those were available and needed the time. Not to mention Johnson, and Pons also “need” the minutes.

I’m sorry but Jancek and Fleschman don’t “need” the time as they will “not” be relied uoon.

In case you haven't noticed, the roster is down to 10, 9 until Pember heals up. So you're in the "he sux" camp. Duly noted.

Johnson and Pons need minutes? Doesn't AARP have them on their mailing list along with Mr. Kent?

In case you haven't noticed, the roster is down to 10, 9 until Pember heals up. So you're in the "he sux" camp. Duly noted.

Johnson and Pons need minutes? Doesn't AARP have them on their mailing list along with Mr. Kent?

Not sure what your getting or trying to get, from my post.

It is what it is. Tennessee had 3 true freshman available who “need” the minutes. They will be used and needed.

Johnson will be needed this year and “needs” game minutes......I’m sorry if you don’t think he does but him and Pons need all they can get. This schedule is tough and they got to grow quick.

I’m no hater on anyone.....but the two walk on’s simply don’t need the minutes like virtually everyone on the team does (minus Bowden and Turner).

Maybe Coach Barnes knows a bit more than you do.

GBO!!!
It was a decent win. We can compete this year with quickness and good perimeter shooting. Opponents with size we will try and beat them down the court. The turnovers were very frustrating but for a first game no reason to be concerned. Turner had some spots where he was too selfish. Bowden needs still needs to put the ball on the floor more and attack the rim. Fulkerson was active and deserves more touches on the post and may be a good pick and roll set against bigger teams. I liked Nkamhoua at the high post and he is a willing passer. Pons was great although he was far superior athletically than anyone UNC-Asheville had. Johnson can be a threat from 3 pt range. James didn’t look comfortable shooting at all but had at least 3 assists taken off the board simply because teammates couldn’t finish. Gaines can play and was a pleasant surprise. I think a healthy Pember gets minutes and can run the floor and shoot. Kent in all fairness never could matchup with all the smaller players on the court. He has fouls to give and expect we will see more of him against Murray State who has some size.

Overall we can’t totally abandon post play but I’m afraid we may this year due to personnel. Or lack of personnel.

VN Store

Back