BTO’s Texas Postgame Report

He's gone from being in the hunt for SEC 6th man award to possibly being in the running for the Cousy award nationally

1. What a game from our Vols, and way to show out Vol fans…once again Tennessee had center stage on the national scene with College Gameday here and they didn’t disappoint. This team clearly came out with focus and energy and made it clear from the start that this was gonna be a hard fought game, they weren’t going to be out toughed and good luck to their opponent, one of the better games of a Vol team in recent memory. ......
GBO!!!
Excellent writeup ... it is what we have come to expect and you don't disappoint.

I am one of those who questioned the focus of ON and his mental approach to the game.
He is rounding into form. I am hoping that he can string games at this level together on a regular basis. I will be ecstatic for the team and for him.
His practice habits will only make Aidoo, Uros and Awka better!!! Olivier has put them on notice - now it's time for them to up their game.
I am still worried about how he will handle, bigger and stronger post players ... but I am willing to see what he does now.
ON was extraordinary ... his coming out party will make life for his teammates much easier.

I am looking for more pick and roll ... in the future. :^)

I know some are excited about small ball (looking at you BTO), and I am thrilled (really, I am) ... but I can see the possibility of CRB departing from it ... in some matchup situations.
That is not a prediction, but matchups are the name of the game ... you try to force your opponent into matchups that favor you and you try to stay out of matchups that favor them (as much as possible).
We just did that to the #10 team in the nation ... feels good doesn't it!

Big wins can produce a letdown ... the road to at least 8-2 ... begins with one game ... Florida, down there ... we need to steal another road win!

One final shout out to those calling to shorten the bench ... he certainly did it against a really good team. 6 players (I only count depth based on 10+ min) with some change.
However, I expect us to go deeper on Wednesday ... I am expecting 8 maybe 9 deep.
@BTO Keep up the excellent reporting!

Listened to Bob & Bert on radio as we travelled back home from Florida. John Wilkerson almost made me run off the road when he said: "It's the Tennessee Big Orange versus the Texas big BROWN." :D:cool:

John wasn't wrong. That was a dirty nasty shade of Burnt O.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
I don’t recall any large number of posts disagreeing about ON having the highest ceiling? I do recall lots of posts with folks being ready to move on from a senior that couldn’t seem to consistently bring his best effort and giving younger guys who were bringing effort a chance. IIRC
And that’s why you don’t make that move, none of the others have that kind of performance in their bag this year.

Great win and we controlled it from the onset. Texas adjusted in the 2nd half to their credit, but they also made some difficult shots and had a big boost from refs on that ridiculous call on Vescovi. We ate Texas when they went zone and Nkamhoua could do no wrong. Let’s hope he keeps it up. We don’t need 20+ per game from him each game but a consistent 12 pts and 6 boards or so would be excellent. Josiah was his solid complementary self and that midrange game was working. Key looked lost. Aidoo looked lost. Barnes was comfortable going small for the bulk of the game as the matchups were favorable but he can only do that if Nkamhoua brings it every game. Given he scored more yesterday than he scored in the previous 5 combined…..well, let’s hope he turned a corner and gets on a run. Bottom line we need consistency from everyone especially seniors.

Zeigler‘s emergence as a PG has been great to watch. He is becoming the #1 catalyst for this team and I trust him against anyone. No moment is too big for him. Still have tough run ahead of us. Let’s see us handle success and beat Florida on the road. Control Castleton and we could have another double digit road win because Florida is completely perimeter oriented otherwise and not an offensive juggernaut.

1. What a game from our Vols, and way to show out Vol fans…once again Tennessee had center stage on the national scene with College Gameday here and they didn’t disappoint. This team clearly came out with focus and energy and made it clear from the start that this was gonna be a hard fought game, they weren’t going to be out toughed and good luck to their opponent, one of the better games of a Vol team in recent memory.

2. Tennessee is now the #1 team on KenPom, this has never happened before in the history of KenPom, so take a second and savor it. Obviously in the grand scheme of success this is a great sign, are we the best team in the country, who knows? However analytics think that we are and worst case that means we are one of the very best in the country at this time, and that can’t possibly be seen as a bad thing.

3. Not to make this a review of tooting my horn, but sorry I'm going to a bit…folks wanted Nkamhoua benched, wanted Awaka instead, wanted Plav or Aidoo, give me anybody, just don’t play Nkamhoua, why’s he starting it doesn’t make sense? I routinely said that he has the highest ceiling and Barnes was trying to get the light to come on, does it? Idk. However he just put up a performance that no other player ever has, 27 & 8 on 12/15 shooting, he was an absolute force and looked like a terror. Now the key is what the key has always been, does he vanish or can he do it again? Consistency is the key. But again, he did things only he could do, that’s why he’s starting folks.

4. Might as well keep tooting my horn…I have mentioned small ball and shorter rotations and it’s not been received super well, many have disliked the idea. Well tonight we played 31/40 minutes small ball and we essentially played a 6 man rotation tonight, found some minutes in the first half with some foul trouble but pretty clear who the 6 were. Those are the 5-6 who are going to decide our season, I get that some might not like it but that’s just what it is.

5. Zeigler continues his play, not only pushing for All-SEC honors but this man might be working his way on to the national scene. Yet another double double with assist, 22 & 10 tonight on just 3 turnovers, absolutely incredible! He’s literally the QB out there and not only running things offensively for us he’s also his usual pest defensively, he’s so damn good and it’s so nice to know we’ve got a PG like that for years to come!

6. This game was huge, adds a marquee win to our resume, and as I said 9-2 to finish the year was the target, well you get a tough one out of the way and now you’re talking 8-2 to finish things out. We don’t have an easy upcoming slate but it’s manageable, at Florida, home to Auburn, at Vandy, home to Missouri and then showdown with Bama at home as well? Can the Vols get to 4-0 heading into the Bama game? Probably a tall task, but it’s possible. Again, 8-2 to finish the season and you’re almost certainly looking at a 1 seed, 7-3 and it’s still very much on the table. This team has to bring it, when they do they can beat anyone, but overlook anyone and they can lose, that’s gonna be the trick. But for tonight we enjoy it!

GBO!!!

Nkamhoua was a beast last night and he just needs to bring that consistency every night.

Vols need to take Castleton out of the game plan Wednesday night down in Gainesville and then they welcome old friend Bruce Pearl back to the arena for what is always a fun and thrilling game to say the least.

The key is to make it last THROUGH the dance. Hell of a win yesterday. I love seeing this type of basketball. Please don’t give me crap about this thought, but Barnes still needs to prove it in the tournament. Sec tourney championship was unbelievable last year. I cried in Connecticut on my couch lol. And before more crap gets thrown my way. I’m beyond a diehard fan, and I’m moving to Knoxville early 2024 because of my love for Tennessee and our Vols. Don’t even know a soul down there, but I know that’s where I belong! Regardless of seeding I just can’t get over the nervousness about another early bounce from the tournament. Don’t get me wrong, the regular season wins over the past 5 years have been great. But it’s time for Barnes to have the team ready for when it matters most, and make a Final Four run.
Getting out of CT at the right time. The state is bankrupt and in deep trouble.

Reactions: BigBabyWilliams
Santi has taken a lot less shots the past 2 games. That may be a good thing. We lived or died by whether he was hot or cold last year. He was thoughtful about the 3's he shot and it paid off

The key is to make it last THROUGH the dance. Hell of a win yesterday. I love seeing this type of basketball. Please don’t give me crap about this thought, but Barnes still needs to prove it in the tournament. Sec tourney championship was unbelievable last year. I cried in Connecticut on my couch lol. And before more crap gets thrown my way. I’m beyond a diehard fan, and I’m moving to Knoxville early 2024 because of my love for Tennessee and our Vols. Don’t even know a soul down there, but I know that’s where I belong! Regardless of seeding I just can’t get over the nervousness about another early bounce from the tournament. Don’t get me wrong, the regular season wins over the past 5 years have been great. But it’s time for Barnes to have the team ready for when it matters most, and make a Final Four run.
Well, even tho I'm now retired literally half-way around the planet from Ktown, I used to live there so I'll say welcome BB to a piece of heaven. I think you just may love it. I miss it and am hoping you come to call it home as well. One little suggestion......run by New Haven and grab a Sally's plain apizza and/or a Frank Pepe's white clam pie and treat yourself to just one more bit of the Nutmeg state's gifts to mankind before you depart.

Reactions: BigBabyWilliams
Well, even tho I'm now retired literally half-way around the planet from Ktown, I used to live there so I'll say welcome BB to a piece of heaven. I think you just may love it. I miss it and am hoping you come to call it home as well. One little suggestion......run by New Haven and grab a Sally's plain apizza and/or a Frank Pepe's white clam pie and treat yourself to just one more bit of the Nutmeg state's gifts to mankind before you depart.

Thought this was the first conference game where the students loaded up in the end zones behind the baskets made a difference. They were loud and vocal all night long with dozens of distractions to get out during Texas free throws. The crowd was energized and quite vocal all night, which is harder to do these days with 4 scheduled TV timeouts each half.

Hope they show up to unload on Bruce this Saturday, the rest of the home games will be difficult, particularly if Tennessee moves up to 2 or 3 in the latest ratings.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back