BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

I was glad to see Admiral get his swagger back tonight.

I agree that Grant was taking a beating without some calls he usually gets. I also think Grant enjoys giving out that beating if it’s going to be like that. All their coach talked about was the “physicality”. We wore them out.

Great performance given the adversity we faced tonight. With Bowden out and Alexander mostly absent, it definitely wasn’t the norm. Great management by the staff to keep most everyone from fouling out. So to win by 22 in that environment? All I gotta say is Go Vols!
Schofield:

Reactions: OWB
Getting nothing out of KA at this stage is inexcusable. He should be close to a double-double guy every game.
That is a bit harsh. Every player on this team, with the possible exception of Bone has had an off night in the last couple of weeks. Kyle Alexander has been playing extremely well this season and to call his down stretch "inexcusable" is a bit over the top.

If that shot had gone in, and it was a late whistle to call the violation, this board would be griping about it being called. You play to the whistle, Tennessee didn't. They had every opportunity to get back on D on that play.

I can’t speak for others on this board, but I’m about getting the call right. If the ball was in his hand when the shot clock expires, it’s a shot clock violation whether it goes in or not. I agree they shouldn’t have stopped playing but that doesn’t excuse the fact that they missed a CLEAR call that ended up costing us two points. There were others throughout the game and some went both ways. It officiating in the SEC has gotten worse over the past few years and I see no sign of it getting any better.

On Fulky's second break-away he didn't handle the ball cleanly but Silva knocked him to the court. Another curious example of foul-prone Silva getting a pass from the refs.
That was one of if not the worst no call I've ever witnessed in a game.Absolutley terrible.

Great game but we gotta get some more from Pons. I know his minutes have dropped but I don’t think he’s even had a rebound or an assist the past two game muchless a point. Defense seems to be suffering also. Let’s go Big Fella your teammates as well as Vol Nation needs you!

We don’t necessarily need much from him this year because the rotation is going to get tighter later in the year. However, for the future, I would like to see him get minutes and improve.

Yeah I clapped too. I love me some Chik-Fil-A, but I never figured out how to claim that sandwich :confused:

Well, we got a later start home than planned. Silver lining - we stopped by a Chick-Fil-A on our way out of town and traded our two ticket stubs for two sandwiches. Leaving town with a W and free Chick-Fil-A. Yes!

I liked those guys last night way better than Dickie V or Beth Mowens. At least they kept their commentary on the game being played

Dickie V has become a caricature of himself. And actually was NEVER a Great analyst; instead stated the Obvious and added cute little phrases. Give me BOB KNIGHT any day, HE explained WHY something happened and HOW to stop it. Ah Beth. Never has there been a more Irritating voice amplified on a Microphone.

Reactions: Sea Ray
Add ons
#4. The officiating was horrible. Any of our games Doug Shows and Paul Lindsay officiate, we are going to be on the wrong side of most calls. ( BTW, Lindsay is a FL graduate and still lives in Gainesville, hmmm). Kotsar was pushing Grant al night long and rarely got called for it.

#5. It seems Alexander has been picked on by the officials he past 2 games. At least 4 of his 10 fouls were completely bogus. Good thing, he should be well rested

Are you referring to Joe Lindsay? I did not know he was a Florida grad. I don’t get as frustrated with him as others. I cringe when I see Pat Adams, Shows, Valentine, Tony Greene, Anthony Jordan, or Brian Shey do our game. There is a good chance that at least one does most of our games.

I can’t speak for others on this board, but I’m about getting the call right. If the ball was in his hand when the shot clock expires, it’s a shot clock violation whether it goes in or not. I agree they shouldn’t have stopped playing but that doesn’t excuse the fact that they missed a CLEAR call that ended up costing us two points. There were others throughout the game and some went both ways. It officiating in the SEC has gotten worse over the past few years and I see no sign of it getting any better.

It's easy to be an armchair official. Not trying to be too much of an ass, but I would highly recommend getting into it. There's a shortage of officials in youth sports all across the country. Get out there, go through the training they do, etc. You'll be a lot more objective and not get all bent out of shape when a mistake is made.

I am certainly worried about it for this year, but he may be really needed next year, and that just simply won't work. So far, he is hitting 34.1% of his free thorows. He needs to almost double that percentage if he wants to help this team going forward.
I agree. It is not even close to Fulkerson's 60% or so. His numbers are abysmal, and when the other team gives you free shots, you have to hit a good percentage. One shot in particular was just a terrible shot. That being said, he showed a few flashes in that game that made me believe he has what it takes to be a factor going forward.

It's easy to be an armchair official. Not trying to be too much of an ass, but I would highly recommend getting into it. There's a shortage of officials in youth sports all across the country. Get out there, go through the training they do, etc. You'll be a lot more objective and not get all bent out of shape when a mistake is made.

I have done it, at a young age. It’s not easy. But I will continue to criticize the SEC officiating. It can be better.

Two real criticisms: the number of games done each week by some officials and the officials who want to be seen. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Doug Shows did an 8:00 pm game in Tuscaloosa on Tuesday night and did our game at home on Wednesday night. To me, that is excessive. I could understand if he goes to Starkville or Auburn for the second game, but it’s a late start the first night and a time change the second night.

Second, you can’t tell me officials like Ted Valentine and Pat Adams don’t want to be noticed. Egomaniacs. You could see TV’s personality after his handling of the UNC issue last year. That’s not what the profession is about. Fans come to see the players.

Again, I will never say it’s easy. Mistakes will be made. But there is much room for improvement, and I’m not sure there has been any improvement in the last few years.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Yeah I don't see that with this team. At least not for those 2 reasons.

Yeah, and plus that seems like a weird thing to say after that performance; especially since they had played about 3 so so games in a row and many thought last night would be a fight to the end.

Last edited:
Yeah, and plus that seems like a weird thing to say after that performance; especially since they had played about 3 so so cames in a row and many thought last night would be a fight to the end.

It was a great performance on the road against an up and down team that has been playing well in the conference.

This. I really try to be forgiving, especially in basketball, which is by far, the most difficult sport to officiate. You won't see me rag on officiating too often, even when it is warranted. I found myself internally outraged at the shot clock violation that went uncalled and the push on the back on Silva against Fulkerson on the run out that went uncalled, but having been there, I try to be as understanding as possible.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Do we do any promotions like the chick-fil-a thing nowadays? I remember when I attended UT during the Bruce Pearl years we’d get a free chicken sandwich with our ticket if we scored 100. I always got a kick out of the crowd chanting “chicken sandwich” anytime we got close to 100 😄

Do we do any promotions like the chick-fil-a thing nowadays? I remember when I attended UT during the Bruce Pearl years we’d get a free chicken sandwich with our ticket if we scored 100. I always got a kick out of the crowd chanting “chicken sandwich” anytime we got close to 100 😄

50% off on PapaJohns online orders all day the day after wins. I think it used to have to be a score of 80 or more, but any win is half off (code = vol50). No ticket stub required.

Reactions: BartW
I have done it, at a young age. It’s not easy. But I will continue to criticize the SEC officiating. It can be better.

Two real criticisms: the number of games done each week by some officials and the officials who want to be seen. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Doug Shows did an 8:00 pm game in Tuscaloosa on Tuesday night and did our game at home on Wednesday night. To me, that is excessive. I could understand if he goes to Starkville or Auburn for the second game, but it’s a late start the first night and a time change the second night.

Second, you can’t tell me officials like Ted Valentine and Pat Adams don’t want to be noticed. Egomaniacs. You could see TV’s personality after his handling of the UNC issue last year. That’s not what the profession is about. Fans come to see the players.

Again, I will never say it’s easy. Mistakes will be made. But there is much room for improvement, and I’m not sure there has been any improvement in the last few years.

Anytime Teddy Valentine does a game I turn off the TV. UT or not. I do not waste my time watching freak shows at the circus anymore. Been that way for years.

Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back